GDT: Avalanche vs Oilers 4/5/25 @ 7:00 PM MNT ( Emerg..... Lazy GDT) Let's Refalanche our way to victory!

How many power plays will the Refalanche have tonight?

Votes: 2 5.3%

Votes: 3 7.9%

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 12!

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • ellipses

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Problem with this mentally fragile Georgiev that we got for this season seems to be that he has lost some of his quickness for some reason and seems to be scrambling way too much. Bigger goalie like Annunen playing with solid positioning wouldn’t have leaked so many of todays goals.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Kuemper was hot and cold in the regular season but overall was decent.

But everyone is referring to one-eyed Kuemper in the playoffs who let in at minimum 2 weak goals in the first 20-30 minutes.

Reactions: Vk1ing

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Looks like Mittlejost is an issue. Sigh we should have just kept Kadri and Byram and Kuemper. Get rid of Girard and hope the cap goes up enough.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Amongst goalies to play minimum 20 games this season (46 in total) Georgiev is:

34th in GSAA
33rd in SV%
6th in xGA
31st in HDSV%

Darcy Kuemper in 2022 given the same criteria (49 in total) was:

5th in GSAA
4th in SV%
15th in xGA
5th in HDSV%

Man, we genuinely got the last great season out of Darcy Kuemper before his fall from grace in Washington.

We also (myself included) forget just how much better than Georgiev Darcy was. Kuemper might have let in bad goals frequently - especially in the playoffs - but for the most part he would lock it down after that. The team was better, no question there but if you look at the statistics from 2022 and this season:

2022 Avs:
7th in Corsi
7th in Scoring Chances %
15th in High Danger Chances %

2024 Avs:
6th in Corsi
5th in Scoring Chances %
4th in High Danger Chances %

A lot of people think this version of the Avalanche is no match for that 2022 team but the main difference is the goaltending. One guy was providing the Avalanche with consistently top-five goaltending, the other guy isn't even giving them backup caliber goaltending.

This is a major, major problem heading into the playoffs and I have a bad, bad feeling the Avalanche are going to have to pray Justus Annunen can handle the starters workload because Georgiev is losing the net almost guaranteed quickly in round 1.
Now do Georgiev last year and Grubauer

Avs used to protect goalies like no other team and make pedestrian goalies have Vezina numbers. We nearly beat Dallas with Hutchinson in net.

I don't know why but they have completely stopped doing it this year. We are also getting outshot every other game...before this year it rarely happened at all since 2017-18.

This isn't the same team that we used to have.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Avs used to protect goalies like no other team and make pedestrian goalies have Vezina numbers. We nearly beat Dallas with Hutchinson in net.

I don't know why but they have completely stopped doing it this year. We are also getting outshot every other game...before this year it rarely happened at all since 2017-18.

The underlying numbers paint a different story, though.

The analytics suggest this iteration of the Avs is not all that different from the 2022 team that won the Stanley Cup.

The difference is their goaltender is giving up BOTH stinkers and high danger goals. At the start of the year at least Georgiev was top five in high danger save percentage. Now amongst starters he is one of the worst.

Right now it feels like every chance given up on him goes in the net. We thought that was the case with Kuemper, but in actuality Kuemper was great during the regular season and locked things down (mostly) in the playoffs when he would give up a stinker.

Georgiev just ain't it. Idk what more Bednar needs to see, but I have to think he is leaning more towards Annunen full time. And that is terrifying knowing this team's aspirations.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Looks like Mittlejost is an issue. Sigh we should have just kept Kadri and Byram and Kuemper. Get rid of Girard and hope the cap goes up enough.
Kadri was played with better players than Mittelstadt.

Nuke - Mitts- Rants

Telling you, that's the way it should go.

Reactions: GeoRox89 and Vk1ing

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
Holy shit
Fourgiev letting in four-and-more again!
Mac only one point.
McDavid 2 points.
What a game to forget.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Speaking of that '22 team. I had this thought the other game and forgot to post it.

Who would you take right now?

'22 Burakovsky or '24 Drouin?

Bura was clutch and could score from anywhere. But he had long cold spells too and wasn't great in his own zone (although not terrible). It's a interesting comparison imo.
'24 Drouin hands down. Much more complete player. Helps the team even when he doesn't have the puck.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Actually I think this is correct. We don't seem to put same care to defense as we used to. Very careless defending.

That’s my feeling. This board is going to get ugly. This isn’t the 2022 Avs that would destroy anybody regardless of bad goaltending.

I think competition is tougher too imo.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Georgiev makes me miss Grubauer and I didn't think that was possible. What a mentally soft weenie of a goalie.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not reading all of this thread but how much blame can you really give Fourgiev here? Deflections, own goals, getting shoved out of the way when he's trying to cover a puck while the team gets outshot 2 to 1 on the second game of a back to back. There's only so much he can do.

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Georgiev has one start less than Saros. Just think about how ridiculous that is.. Would Annunen have won this game to avs? probably not. Would this team have a better change in the playoffs if Annunen had like 10 more nhl games played this season? Definitely yes. I just dont get this shit, why the f*** has Georgiev started 59 games this season? Fifty f******** nine.

And yeah, whole team sucked and thats not on Georgiev.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Slept a little, and still feel bad. And reading this page, it's still mind-boggling how much we are focusing on the goaltending. Yes, Georgiev was bad. Yes, Annunen should have a fair shot at the starter job now, starting against Dallas. But the shots were 47-23 last night. Edmonton DOMINATED, and we had no business winning that game, outside of a heroic goalie performance. Which, we were not going to get anyways, you actually need an NHL starter for that to happen.

I know it was a b2b, but it still worries me. I said it all week, I can forget those Montreal and CBJ losses as long as they play well against the top teams. The Avs were f***ing dogshit last night, and tiredness is not an excuse. They even added fresh bodies in Nuke and Trenin.

Sunday's game will be huge. Really need to prove it again, if we are a top team. Need a solid performance. And hopefully Rantanen is there with us, but with concussions you never know. I have a bad feeling that the folks who have shit talked Mikko for the last few months are in for a rude awakening when he's out of the lineup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Georgiev makes me miss Grubauer and I didn't think that was possible. What a mentally soft weenie of a goalie.
Let's face it, none of these guys are something we want or miss. Kuemper, Gruuuu or Georgiev.

Slept a little, and still feel bad. And reading this page, it's still mind-boggling how much we are focusing on the goaltending. Yes, Georgiev was bad. Yes, Annunen should have a fair shot at the starter job now, starting against Dallas. But the shots were 47-23 last night. Edmonton DOMINATED, and we had no business winning that game, outside of a heroic goalie performance. Which, we were not going to get anyways, you actually need an NHL starter for that to happen.

I know it was a b2b, but it still worries me. I said it all week, I can forget those Montreal and CBJ losses as long as they play well against the top teams. The Avs were f***ing dogshit last night, and tiredness is not an excuse. They even added fresh bodies in Nuke and Trenin.

Sunday's game will be huge. Really need to prove it again, if we are a top team. Need a solid performance. And hopefully Rantanen is there with us, but with concussions you never know. I have a bad feeling that the folks who have shit talked Mikko for the last few months are in for a rude awakening when he's out of the lineup.

I think we are saving ourselves for the playoffs.

Reactions: Bender

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The most scheduled loss this season.......

After this game, we should put our hopes on Anunnen and that a rookie can hold the fort good enough....

No way we are winning a cup with this version of Georgiev in net.....This is not the team of 2022... And even back then Kuemper was better than Georgiev....

I really fear goaltending will by our downfall this year.....

If so, enough with half-baked solutions in net. Go out and get a starter that gives you at least stable performances.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad