GDT: Avalanche @ Oilers - 7 PM - SNWest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Knoblauch is falling into the exact same trap Woodcroft did last year. When the wingers on L2 last year were a rolling combination of RNH (was injured/playing like shit), Kane (injured), Yamamoto (playing like shit and borderline physically not able to play at that level) we got absolutely killed. We are going to do the same thing this year if 2RW becomes a cycle of either Foegele or Perry. There are other options there to balance things out, but again, they don't seem to ever be considered for longer than temporarily no matter the result.
And Holland's inability to get a legitimate 2RW at the trade deadline failed to solve this problem.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Getting off at 5. Just worked 8 straight 15 hour days. Im ready for a baaaadddddddd buzz on. I'll be probably speaking Japanese by game time. Gotta get some games of darts at my watering hole. Gonna open up a can of whoop ass hopefully in the darts
Enjoy your evening. 8@15, yuck but it does pay the bills.

No generators tripped off when the earthquake hit?

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
While I won't disagree that Edmonton was giving them opportunities, that they didn't capitalize on, even early in the game, I'd argue Dallas had just as many or errors that Edmonton didn't capitalize on and several of them were from Edmonton pushing them into those errors.

As for the OT win that you are completely dismissing because of a PP, there were also some pretty bad goals against on Pickard that game and the team generally had the better of opportunities in that game. Sure the OT PP was fortunate, but I'm not sure that game goes to OT with slightly better goaltending from Edmonton that afternoon.

Even the loss at home to start the year, featured some questionable Oiler goaltending and a Dallas backup making 46 saves to preserve the win.

For sure Dallas won the series from a points perspective 5-2. They are full marks for it, and there were certainly stretches where the Stars' style of play gave Edmonton fits. I just disagree that Edmonton themselves didn't create similar problems for Dallas they just fell a bit short on execution.
Trouble is Dallas defending and structure gave both McD and Drai nightmares in the game. This was a very on game from McD. He was flying. Stars just didn't give him much and even on PP he wasn't getting the penetration that he wanted. This being against a team with elite D, elite structure, and elite goaltending. Drai starts forcing things in such games out of sheer frustration that nothing is working.

Tough part for me is looking at that is reminiscent of how the Oilers fall apart against stiff opposition in playoffs and our play starts going sideways.

I don't compare the Oilers giving up several breakaways and several more odd man rushes to the chances the Oilers were getting by bulling the puck towards the net or working some plays against coverage. The Oilers were getting nothing near the open ice exploits that the stars were getting. This being a result of a team that is drafted and acquired to play this exact structure that has elite defenders and goaltending vs a team trying to do that but without elite D and goaltending.

The Dallas Stars are possibly the best transition team on the planet. When they are on their game they transition puck up ice better than anybody. Oilers struggled with the lethal Stars breakouts and aggressive to pucks play. Indeed the Avalanche was due to the Stars constant pressuring on pucks. Once they got their teeth in it was over.

Reactions: Biltmore

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
What does this actually entail though? McD, Drai, Hyman, Booch, Ekholm are leading the team. The rest have been passengers this season. People can argue otherwise but so many players on this club have had subpar seasons. So many have had worse than prior yrs seasons.

No easy answers as a coach of this particular roster which has gotten much older this season. The team has to play with uber positioning and D foundation just to mitigate their lack of pace on ice. That the team is able to do that on vast majority of nights means its well coached. But it doesn't mean that holes don't exist that won't be exploited by best opponents.
This decision to reunite Draisaitl and McDavid, to me, smells like it more designed to help McDavid in the scoring race than what's best for the team.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Getting off at 5. Just worked 8 straight 15 hour days. Im ready for a baaaadddddddd buzz on. I'll be probably speaking Japanese by game time. Gotta get some games of darts at my watering hole. Gonna open up a can of whoop ass hopefully in the darts
Goodness that’s brutal. One time I worked 16 hours 10 days in a row. Last day I was a hazard and completely blew a red light…

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Whoa, I just realized Colorado played in Minnesota last night. That seems like a fairly long way to travel on a back to back. Edmonton needs to take a bit of advantage granted they are playing their 8th game in 14 nights in 6 different cities so the tank may be getting a little low.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This decision to reunite Draisaitl and McDavid, to me, smells like it more designed to help McDavid in the scoring race than what's best for the team.
Yeah, this is what I said too on previous page. See it the same way.

Whoa, I just realized Colorado played in Minnesota last night. That seems like a fairly long way to travel on a back to back. Edmonton needs to take a bit of advantage granted they are playing their 8th game in 14 nights in 6 different cities so the tank may be getting a little low.
Both teams won't have their best energy. I'll cop a tired cliche that the team that "gets to their game quicker and more consistently" will prevail.

Its the word cabbage salad a lot of coaches engage in...hehe

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah, this is what I said too on previous page. See it the same way.

Both teams won't have their best energy. I'll cop a tired cliche that the team that "gets to their game quicker and more consistently" will prevail.

Its the word cabbage salad a lot of coaches engage in...hehe

Traditionally, Edmonton's struggled coming home after a long haul like this, but they've been way better getting to their game in the first game back this year.

Only once have they lost a game after a 3 game or longer road trip (OTL vs. Boston). I know this was only a 2 gamer, but I'm looking bigger picture at how they've been on the road a lot in a 14 day span despite the 2 at home last weekend.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Digging deeper, under Knoblach, Edmonton has only lost once in their first home game after a road trip of any length, which was an OT loss vs. an impressive Boston team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I read something about this...NJ quake?
Yeah, about 50 miles west of NYC. A 4.8 which for this area of the world is a pretty big deal.
It was pretty wild. I thought I was having a dizzy spell for a split second until I realized that the building was shaking. It only lasted about 5 seconds but it was something I'll never forget.

As far as the McDrai configuration is concerned, I wouldn't read too much into it. The coaches always go power vs. power against the Avs since the Avs also stack the top line. The difference is that the Avs are deeper so if the Oilers aren't winning the McDrai vs. Macantanen matchup, they're pretty much screwed.

Reactions: nally and Duke74

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, about 50 miles west of NYC.
It was pretty wild. I thought I was having a dizzy spell for a split second until I realized that the building was shaking. It only lasted about 5 seconds but it was something I'll never forget.

As far as the McDrai configuration is concerned, I wouldn't read too much into it. The coaches always go power vs. power against the Avs since the Avs also stack the top line. The difference is that the Avs are deeper so if the Oilers aren't winning the McDrai vs. Macantanen matchup, they're pretty much screwed.
Also it makes sense to switch things up a lot during the season just to build chemistry among different players. The Drai-McDavid combo is an important option for the coach to have and it is proven to be effective. It's better for the the whole team to have them split but different situations have different needs

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I see Knobby shufflin lines again

I recall months ago pointing this out and the narrative was " He does it with intelligence tho"

Back to McDrai for an important game. Ya, he's breakin new ground here lolol

I

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah, about 50 miles west of NYC. A 4.8 which for this area of the world is a pretty big deal.

Interesting, before today, I'd have said the same thing, but Gregor pointed out that this may not be as accurate as we think. Granted some of this is skewed by the fact that a lot of the Oilers players got many of those goals with one of or both McDavid and Draisaitl, but I suspect that would also apply somewhat to MacKinnon and Rantannen.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Those panicking because of the Dallas game, here's an interesting tweet. Edmonton's played fine against playoff teams, especially since Knoblach took over. Have they had a few duds. For sure, but even the best teams in the league turn in a clunker now and then. I appreciate they are happening a little more regularly lately, but I also don't think there is a lot of urgency right now since they've pretty much been locked into 2nd for 6 weeks or so.

This is interesting. I'm no fancy stats expert but I think these stats backup a feeling I've had with the team all year.

They're terrible finishers. Like BRUTAL... worst in the league? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if some stat came out that said the Oilers are the worst team historically ever at finishing a scoring chance. We score lots because we may be the best team in the league at creating chances. This team can dominate play like no other and come out with nothing to show for it.

Do these stats indicate this like I think? Am I too hard on them?

It looks like Boston and Vegas are like our Mirror images. They don't generate as many chances but when they do... bam that puck is in the net. Geez the more I look at this the more odd the Oilers stats are in comparison. Carolina is the only other team with a disparity like ours and it's 8% compared to our 16%.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is interesting. I'm no fancy stats expert but I think these stats backup a feeling I've had with the team all year.

They're terrible finishers. Like BRUTAL... worst in the league? Heck I wouldn't be surprised if some stat came out that said the Oilers are the worst team historically ever at finishing a scoring chance. We score lots because we may be the best team in the league at creating chances. This team can dominate play like no other and come out with nothing to show for it.

Do these stats indicate this like I think? Am I too hard on them?

It looks like Boston and Vegas are like our Mirror images. They don't generate as many chances but when they do... bam that puck is in the net. Geez the more I look at this the more odd the Oilers stats are in comparison. Carolina is the only other team with a disparity like ours and it's 8% compared to our 16%.
I don’t know what it is but the Oilers will have an open net and still hit the goalies baby toe.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m at the LIV Miami tournament this weekend and we’re staying at Doral and got in yesterday. Gretzky was here yesterday watching his son in law (Gretz was wearing a Florida Panthers shirt lol) so I asked him how he likes the Oilers chances in the playoffs, and he said the West is brutal but if they can get out of the first round he thinks they can get it done and he’d love to see an Oilers Avs WC final.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
How many giveaways and poor pinches will we witness tonight? Hopefully none!

No more Drai button-hooks at the blueline or giveaways!

No more Nurse pinches that lead to 4 on 1's!

No more leaving the front of our net open!

Play smart/hard hockey plz!

Reactions: Biltmore

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I’m at the LIV Miami tournament this weekend and we’re staying at Doral and got in yesterday. Gretzky was here yesterday watching his son in law (Gretz was wearing a Florida Panthers shirt lol) so I asked him how he likes the Oilers chances in the playoffs, and he said the West is brutal but if they can get out of the first round he thinks they can get it done and he’d love to see an Oilers Avs WC final.
Might have to take it to PM's so I don't bother the non-golfers in here, but I would love to hear all about attending a LIV tournament. So different than a PGA event (shorts, music, shotgun, etc.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Interesting, before today, I'd have said the same thing, but Gregor pointed out that this may not be as accurate as we think. Granted some of this is skewed by the fact that a lot of the Oilers players got many of those goals with one of or both McDavid and Draisaitl, but I suspect that would also apply somewhat to MacKinnon and Rantannen.

Those stats are skewed because Nichushkin and Lehkonen missed a bunch of games and they've only had Mittlestadt and Trenin for a small period of time.
Granted, the Oilers did add Henrique but, I don't know, the Avs depth players just seem to be better players away from elite talent. Also, keeping in mind that McLeod and Foegele had most of their production with Draisaitl.
Nichushkin, Mittlestadt and Lehkonen alone are arguably better than any Oiler forward not named McDraiman, Nichushkin for sure. Drouin has also had a good year. I don't remember, who plays with MacKinnon and Rantanen? Is it Nichushkin?

Either way, I'd trust the Avs in a depth vs. depth matchup most times alhough interestingly it was the Oilers depth that came through against the Avs last time and the top line that got caved in the power matchup but that seems like more of a one-off.

Last edited:

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Well the Stars game sucked. I turned it off just before it was 2-0 and I have no regrets. How we do against the Avs tonight will probably be quite telling of how our playoffs are going to go. Do we fold like a cheap tent of do we come out swinging? Stay tuned.
Could see the loss coming with the sloppy, careless Oil play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad