Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Jets are f***en terrible.
And when you get shut out by a possible playoff opponent and are supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender, the past doesn't seem to matter much.

So you understand why I said they need to win this one to show me something.

I suspect if you look back over history, there are plenty of Cup winning teams that have been shut out or badly beaten even in the cup run, let alone a random Wednesday against a good team.

Vegas lost 5-1 twice in the first few weeks of last year's playoff. It didn't stop them.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
"Why would anybody go to a Calgary Flames game?"

My man's speaking the truth :D
We have a very good fan base, Been some great characters over the years
Joey
Ben
Mullet Man
Magoo
Willie . I think that was his name. He had long hair and looked similar to Willie Nelson. I believe he might have passed away
Havent seen the fella who use to drain the beer on camera. He was a beauty as well. WOnder what his beer bill was after a game ?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Just felt an earthquake in New York, the whole building shook. Cross that off my bucket list.
I just read that.
I actually felt an earthquake once back in 90's in Vancouver. I was laying on couch and it felt like someone picked up couch and moved it.
Doomesdayers will be chirping now

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Those panicking because of the Dallas game, here's an interesting tweet. Edmonton's played fine against playoff teams, especially since Knoblach took over. Have they had a few duds. For sure, but even the best teams in the league turn in a clunker now and then. I appreciate they are happening a little more regularly lately, but I also don't think there is a lot of urgency right now since they've pretty much been locked into 2nd for 6 weeks or so.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
With 8 games remaining, the coaches are occupied with trying line / pairing changes and small system tweaks ( Dzone and neutral zone especially). It’s a challenge to play well while not giving opponents a lot of scouting material for the playoffs.
However, the way we lost to Dallas was pretty much a case of the 2nd period imploding with a lot of poor execution and poor decisions. That stuff needs to be corrected…fast.
Expecting the Oilers to bring a cleaner game and more consistent play through 60 minutes.

P.S. Quit hitting the iron…fill the nets!

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Those panicking because of the Dallas game, here's an interesting tweet. Edmonton's played fine against playoff teams, especially since Knoblach took over. Have they had a few duds. For sure, but even the best teams in the league turn in a clunker now and then. I appreciate they are happening a little more regularly lately, but I also don't think there is a lot of urgency right now since they've pretty much been locked into 2nd for 6 weeks or so.

That 40% GF stands out like a sore thumb. It points to the teams issue, they play fine but either can't score due to lack of scoring skill thru the lineup or they let up bad goals.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Well the Stars game sucked. I turned it off just before it was 2-0 and I have no regrets. How we do against the Avs tonight will probably be quite telling of how our playoffs are going to go. Do we fold like a cheap tent of do we come out swinging? Stay tuned.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Yea.
Great... We can beat the Ducks, Kings and Penguins.

How about a Central division team?
Since Knobloch took over, the only losses we have against the Central division playoff teams is the loss against Dallas on Wednesday night and the OT loss against Colorado, so…🤷‍♂️

We did already beat Dallas once this year.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That 40% GF stands out like a sore thumb. It points to the teams issue, they play fine but either can't score due to lack of scoring skill thru the lineup or they let up bad goals.

That 40% would probably see an uptick if McD actually took the shot a bit more rather than pass the opportunity away too.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think it was about half way through the Blues game Sportsnet showed a shot chart breaking down where our shots to that point came from, and I want to say something like 70% to that point had come from D men. I wish I could find a full data set that showed this break down for the year.

I feel like it isn't just a McDavid not shooting problem, but it appears to be an entire forward group that refuses to shoot problem. Almost across the board, our forward group isn't really interested in shooting unless it's a Grade AAA open net chance. It's always our D men, which reflects in the low sh% and low GF% that we are seeing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

For sure, it's a bit of both especially early in the year.

but don't forget that 8 of those games were pre-Knoblach where they went -14 against those teams. If you stretch that to the first three games in the Knoblach era when they hadn't got much time to settle into themselves it balloons to -22.

Since Thanksgiving, they are 50% GF despite the blowout loss on Wednesday (they were 52% before).
Normally, I don't like to exclude parts of a season but in this case where you saw significant changes in team play, after the Coach swap, I think it's reasonable to say the team since Thanksgiving should be a reasonable representation of how they should be in playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The last time we played a good 60 minute game against a good team was here last week against the Kings and this was our middle 6:

Henrique - Draisaitl - Foegele
Kane - McLeod - Perry

Those lines worked. Kane -McLeod - Perry pushed the forecheck and were a handful down low and in front. The Drai line also had a great game. Then we decided to change it for no reason.

Please Woodcro.....I mean Knoblauch - use some common sense.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
If you include playoffs, we've lost 9 of our 11 games against this team over the last three seasons. What's most frustrating is that of our 6 of our 7 regular season games have gone to OT, yet we only won one of those games. We always seem to play a close game against Colorado, but never find a way to actually close it out.

A win tonight would do a lot for the mental health of fans after that Dallas game.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Dude, it was one bad game. They happen.

Anyway, I agree with you, tonight is a statement game and I hope to hell we show up.
Yea, exactly. A statement game.
Show the NHL you can hang with the big dogs coming down the stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad