Pre-Game Talk: Avalanche coming Tuesday

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mean it is just a way to apply stats to a gut call.

I agree it is BS but coaches get asked to explain gut calls so they go with these silly explanations.

I don't know about that.

Tugnutt and Rhodes were just on the Wally podcasts and they were saying they had teams they always played well against and teams they always played poor against...and said Jacques knew this so he would play the goalies against the teams they played best all year and it lead to them posting great GAA. They said they could look at the calendar months ahead and know who was getting which games and they said they liked that.

There's gotta be something to it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't know about that.

Tugnutt and Rhodes were just on the Wally podcasts and they were saying they had teams they always played well against and teams they always played poor against...and said Jacques knew this so he would play the goalies against the teams they played best all year and it lead to them posting great GAA. They said they could look at the calendar months ahead and know who was getting which games and they said they liked that.

There's gotta be something to it.

maybe positive reinforcement?

if you dominate a team once perhaps next time you are way more confident knowing that you have already destroyed them and can do it again.

and also some players probably just match up well or poorly against specific teams/systems.

I think there's something to it too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
My kid played goalie, and he and his partner always preferred knowing who was scheduled to play well ahead of time. They seemed more tuned in at gametime as a result.

Reactions: WallyD

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Finally ditched the goalie coach. Was time for a change there for sure
Yes, very strange that we seem to be addressing issues in least to most important order. Goalies seem to come Ottawa to die and yet we hold on to the Dorion appointed goalie coach forever. Most/many observers believe Ottawa defensive end play sucks and yet the only coach we retained is Capuano. I guess he may quality now as the last remaining legacy piece. It will take some time to right this ship but happy to see changes still happening.

Reactions: heater007

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I mean it is just a way to apply stats to a gut call.

I agree it is BS but coaches get asked to explain gut calls so they go with these silly explanations.
Need to justify those team analytics salaries... It could be complete fantasy, but why have them if you are going to ignore them? Nice thing for the coaches is they can selectively choose to use them, or not.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sogaard is going to do his Big Ben Bishop impression..stone the Avs. The Big Wall of a goalie...now if only Sens D can clear the crease so he can see the puck

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
To me this has everything to do with Korpisalo not playing up to par or expectations or even not coming up with key saves at key times of the game and nothing to do with his play vs Colorado. JM is giving Sogaard a shot and he wouldn't be if he was really happy with Korpisalo's play of late
Exactly
And its about time the coach start calling them for their poor play
I hope there is more of that in the near future

Go Jacques Go

Reactions: WallyD

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What line do we put out against the Nathan MacKinnon line?
I think we try to go Greig's line vs MacKinnon's line. Giroux can help with the draws

I would not go Stus line with all three not really defensive players. The Charts line is an option but Charts is too small and the line isn't strong enough.
4th line won't play that many minutes and are not able to shut down Mac's line.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I have questions.
Since obviously playoffs are done, and the rest of this season is about who stays/goes:
1. Is Chych worth keeping? (so why not find out how he works at RD on PP1?)
2. Is JBD going to be NHL RD? (RD are scarce as hens teeth, so why not find out by playing him in different CHALLENGING situations, even PP!)
3. 72 is not worth keeping, given his spotty play, muffin shot, $10Mill contract and NMC as of July (why is he still on PP1 instead of Tank or Chych?)
4. Is it too soon to blame Alfie for our crap PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad