Rumor: AV to be fired?

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
I'm not anti-Noel... but that isn't exactly a huge sample size...
Columbus didn't keep Noel after all...

But to say he 'couldn't do it in Columbus' when he was above .500 was incorrect, or at the very least, incomplete. He did just fine in Columbus.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure man I don't think either are bad coaches with young guys overall. He was familiar with almost all the guys listed from when he was the Moose coach and they all developed well over time. He always trusted young two way guys (all forwards you listed).

His main short comings were:
-In game adjustments when teams countered his strategies
-Playing lesser players that suited his system in certain cases
-Team tended to sit on leads

Strengths
-Disciplined system play consistently
-Always made young guys learn defense to earn minutes first
-Most players improved steadily under his tenure
-Always ran his system to get offense out of his defenseman to cover up for lack of top end forward talent

He doesn't suck at all, just does this all not sound pretty similar to Claude?

It would just be such a sideways move. I've seen him coach both offensively limited and blessed teams in his time there and they always had good regular season showings. Better than Crawford was I thought. Just don't see the point in canning our coach for someone who is not very likely to take us over the top. Different, not sure to be better.

The first step is to make the playoffs. I agree the end goal is to win the cup but we are far from that atm.

If you look at the 8 teams still in the playoffs atm, 7 of them are the top 7 in the league in the regular season for GAA. Pittsburgh is the exception only cause they outscore their problems and are the highest in the league for GF. We all can agree this team now and in the near future will never be near the top for GF. And we were 25th i believe for GAA. So again its said, Until we get that GAA down, we are going no where. So to me, its obvious Noel isn't the answer. So its 3 things, Coach, systems, goalie/defense. To me you change the coach to bring in a new system. Pavs isn't good enough as well, but bringing in another coach/system might help in the short term since we have him signed for 4 more years.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Don't want AV, thanks. As others have said, he's very similar in terms of style to Noel, so if a coaching change had to happen, I'd assume they'd want someone that had a slightly different take on systems and personnel usage.

Also: we'd get a similar coach, and miss out on the ever entertaining fireside chats.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeah, let's follow the track record of the Thrashers coaching management and bring in new a new coach every other year.... :help: Noel deserves one more year unless they fall flat out of the gate. If the team misses the playoffs(barring major injuries) he should go.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I'm interested to hear why you'd say that as I quite disagree:

Young players successfully developed and integrated into the lineup in his tenure:

Kesler
Edler
Schneider
Bieska
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows
Hansen
Hodgson to some extent

Thats a number 1 goalie, a two/way number 1 or 2 center, 2 or 3 top 4 defenseman (depending on how you view Tanev) and a couple of 2nd and third line forwards. I'd say he's done quite well at integrating young players over the years.

Not to say that AV hasn't done any better/worse, but this is just a quick off the top of my head list that Noel coached/developed in the A.
Dan Hamhuis
Scottie Upshall
Ryan Suter
Greg Zanon
Jordin Tootoo
Rich Peverley
Shea Weber
Pekka Rinne
David Legwand

I'm sure there is a ton more top end talent, especially including Columbus. I'd take the guys Noel coached in Milwaukee anyday!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not to say that AV hasn't done any better/worse, but this is just a quick off the top of my head list that Noel coached/developed in the A.
Dan Hamhuis
Scottie Upshall
Ryan Suter
Greg Zanon
Jordin Tootoo
Rich Peverley
Shea Weber
Pekka Rinne
David Legwand

I'm sure there is a ton more top end talent, especially including Columbus. I'd take the guys Noel coached in Milwaukee anyday!

Interesting, he seems to know what hes doing with defenseman and bottom 6 forwards which sort of mirrors whats happened here so far. On the other hand there is no track record of successfully developing skilled forwards and that is my biggest critic of him from a development perspective. Anyways I'm sure he's not going anywhere for another year and will have next year to show me how he handles Scheifele and Burmie if he's still here.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Sounds like AV may be headed to Dallas. Even with his connections to Winnipeg, I honestly don't think he'd consider Winnipeg at this point.

If Chevy can't lure any big fish free agent players here to Winnipeg, he should do the next best thing and lure in the biggest free agent coach (Tippett) even if it means paying a premium to bring him here.

Rumor was Dallas was also interested in bringing Tippett back when his contract expires and he makes a decision about whether or not to leave Phoenix. If Dallas doesn't want to wait and they hire AV, could Tippett be persuaded to come to Winnipeg? He is originally from Saskatchewan.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, cause there will be no coaches fired next year.

It's hard to say that the "quality" of potentially fired coaches next year will compare to guys like Ruff, Tippett, Vigneault, Eakins, Torts(?), Quenneville(?), etc.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It's hard to say that the "quality" of potentially fired coaches next year will compare to guys like Ruff, Tippett, Vigneault, Eakins, Torts(?), Quenneville(?), etc.

Not sure what makes that list particularly quality. Does a Stanley cup win automatically make you a quality coach? A finals appearance?

There are tonne of coaches who are unemployed or working in broadcasting who have a Stanely Cup or a finals appearance. Crawford, Kennan, Crisp, Demers, Maclean, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad