Tennis: Australian Open 2024

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Somehow Medvedev conjures a break point in the seventh game but is met with a down-the-tee ace.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Medvedev is making tactical mistakes now, playing with the brakes on. He won when he was agressive. He's way too passive now. And when he goes to the net, he goes from too far away.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think Sinner has managed ONE good dropped shot in the game.

Here's that set point.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner stays patient, sticks to his game plan and converts a rare break point for the fourth set. The match is his to win or lose at this point. His composure has been impressive.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
...And it's a five-setter! Not sure if it's been a classic final, but good ol' Sunday entertainment nevertheless. Hope Sinner can finish it off (what a bummer for him if he loses it now).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Less then 50% of first serve for Sinner. If he wants to win that tense 5th, this needs to improve.

For Medvedev, he needs to focus on being agressive, even if that means more mistakes. Move your legs, go to the net to close points earlier.

Sinner has forgotten pressure for two sets, but it'll come back now, the more we go forward in that 5th set.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Less then 50% of first serve for Sinner. If he wants to win that tense 5th, this needs to improve.

For Medvedev, he needs to focus on being agressive, even if that means more mistakes. Move your legs, go to the net to close points earlier.

Sinner has forgotten pressure for two sets, but it'll come back now, the more we go forward in that 5th set.

His legs probably feel like anvils at this point, 3 straight matches going 5 sets

Oct 18, 2006
His legs probably feel like anvils at this point, 3 straight matches going 5 sets
Going to 5 against Hurkacz was stupid, he lost his mind end of the 4th. And against Zverev, yeah he wore Zverev down, but in doing so has worn himself down. If he was just more aggressive in the first 2 sets like he was tonight, it could’ve been a different story tonight.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner gets a well-earned break for 4-2. Eight points away.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well done Sinner!
He overcame his nerves to stay in the game. His now or never attitude at the end of the second set was a key.
Medvedev ran out of gas quite clearly. Even still Sinner had to save that break point at 3-3. With an Ace.
Deserving champion.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Took Jannik a while to find his sea legs, but once he did, he played patient, intelligent tennis. First major of many to come.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Sinner is the Winner!

I was worried for him after he played a couple tight points up 30-0 in the last game but he responded well. I think slaying that Djokovic dragon has done the trick for him

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Super happy for Jannik, my heart breaks for Medevdev for it happening it again to him at AO. His legs ruined him late. What a f***ing tournament

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sinner is the Winner!

I was worried for him after he played a couple tight points up 30-0 in the last game but he responded well. I think slaying that Djokovic dragon has done the trick for him

I think him playing Novak the match before probably helped him a ton there. Equally pressure filled to knock out the 10 time AO champ

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I can't get over how well spoken Medvedev is and how strong his English is. Russians usually have very thick accents, but he's out here speaking English like he's Swedish lol

• Haha
Reactions: MsMeow

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Given his time spent on court it's a miracle he was able to be so competitive against the much fresher opponent.

Very true and like someone said earlier being in a 5 setter with Hubi was his own fault. Sinner finished off Novak when he had the chance. Meddy also started off really slow v Zverev, they could've been a 4 setter at the worst if got his legs/mind going quicker

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn’t get to watch since it was in the middle of the night.

Good for Sinner. About time he won one. Sounds like Medvedev’s previous matches caught up to him in this one being outlasted, and the efficiency of Sinner throughout helped him play well as the match went on.
I can't get over how well spoken Medvedev is and how strong his English is. Russians usually have very thick accents, but he's out here speaking English like he's Swedish lol
Tennis players are the best with languages of the athletes.

Have you ever heard Andreeva? She’s 16 and is fluent in English.

That’d be like if Ivan Ryabkin (projected top 5-10 pick in 2025) is fluent in English already.

Hockey Russians don’t grasp English that well. Tennis Russians do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad