Tennis: Australian Open 2024

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Djokovic and Sabalenka are the defending champions.

Hard to bet against Djokovic at this point.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is Milos playing? Stephanie Myles posted a pic of him hitting with Medvedev.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Good news is Diallo, Sebov and Marino all made the final round of qualifying.

Bad news is Sebov and Marino play each other. At least one will qualify...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic over Fritz
Sinner over Demon

Rune over Medvedev
Carlos over Zverev

Sinner over Djokovic
Carlos over Rune

Sinner over Carlos

Dark horses: Dimitrov, Zhang, Fils, Shelton

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev loses the third set to Seyboth Wild to extend the match. The Brazilian has never been in five set shape so I doubt Rublev has much to worry about.

4th set: Thiago plays great, throwing a little bit of everything at Andrei, while Rublev looks increasingly out of rhythm and in trouble. Guess we are going to see if TSB is fit enough to close it out because he has all the momentum right now.

5th set: Rublev wins the breaker 10-6, but really he took the match by the skin of his teeth. TSB did nearly everything right until near the end. He recovered from two love-40 games on his serve, saved four match points before the breaker, kept points short, and first served at 80% most of the match. But after taking a 3-love lead in the breaker, his nerves, along with his first serve, deserted him and Andrei eked it out. Fun tennis, terrific match.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Rublev loses the third set to Seyboth Wild to extend the match. The Brazilian has never been in five set shape so I doubt Rublev has much to worry about.

4th set: Thiago plays great, throwing a little bit of everything at Andrei, while Rublev looks increasingly out of rhythm and in trouble. Guess we are going to see if TSB is fit enough to close it out because he has all the momentum right now.
still watching? Crazy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diaz Acosta, who is ranked 93rd and has only one win against a top fifty player, is leading Fritz two sets to one. Taylor had an ankle scare, but really he has just been outplayed by a lesser player to this point.

Edit: Fritz pulled it out in five sets to avoid a disastrous start to the season for someone trying to get back in the top ten rankings.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Djokovic really, really struggling.

Movement terrible, serve average, any long rally he is losing. Looks really bad. Prizmic of course looking tremendous and has such a bright future. But I’m really concerned about Novak.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Djokovic really, really struggling. Movement terrible, serve average, any long rally he is losing. Looks really bad. Prizmic of course looking tremendous and has such a bright future. But I’m really concerned about Novak.
You may be right, but it was a great match. @kihei, if this had been an upset where would it rank all-time among upsets in majors?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Djokovic really, really struggling.

Movement terrible, serve average, any long rally he is losing. Looks really bad. Prizmic of course looking tremendous and has such a bright future. But I’m really concerned about Novak.
You can't put much stock in R1, Prizmic played well too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You may be right, but it was a great match. @kihei, if this had been an upset where would it rank all-time among upsets in majors?
Oh, right up there near the top. Not quite Soderling over Nadal at the French Open (2009), Horvath over Navratilova at the French Open (1983) (the only match Martina lost that year (!)) or Vinci over Serena at the US Open (2015) but right up there with, maybe even a little ahead of, Stakhovsky over Federer at Wimbledon (2013) and Brown over Nadal at Wimbledon (2015). So we're basically talking top four to six range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This Prizmic guy looks the part of a future star. Not predicting he'll be in two years where Alcaraz is, but that 155 ranking is deceiving. There probably aren't more than 50 guys better than this guy, and when he gains a little experience and isn't running hot and cold depending on the match, he looks like an easy seed the next couple of years.

Everyone is handing this tournament to Djokovic. He'll probably win it, but it's a little surprising how there's been no buzz for Alcaraz, and Medvedev. It seems like almost everyone thinks Djokovic will win, and then if he doesn't it'll be Sinner.

Reactions: Filppula

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
On the women's side:

Alina Korneeva and Brenda Fruhvirtova, two sixteen-year-olds, won three setters to move to the second round. Two 16-year-olds haven't done that at a major since 2007, the year that these girls were born.

Only saw the highlights of the match, but after Sabalenka's love and one dismantling of German teenager Ella Seidel, who didn't appear to play that badly, I would have to say it might be a smart idea to lay a few quid on Aryna to repeat as Champion. She looked beyond awesome. If her nerves hold, always the potential fly in the ointment, watch out.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Oh, right up there near the top. Not quite Soderling over Nadal at the French Open (2009), Horvath over Navratilova at the French Open (1983) (the only match Martina lost that year (!)) or Vinci over Serena at the US Open (2015) but right up there with, maybe even a little ahead of, Stakhovsky over Federer at Wimbledon (2013) and Brown over Nadal at Wimbledon (2015). So we're basically talking top four to six range.
Well Nadal apparently was not 100% in that one, so I don't rate it. I also don't know if I would rate this as a huge one since Prizmic looks like a player, I watched him at the end of last season too and he looked decent to me then as well.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
This Prizmic guy looks the part of a future star. Not predicting he'll be in two years where Alcaraz is, but that 155 ranking is deceiving. There probably aren't more than 50 guys better than this guy, and when he gains a little experience and isn't running hot and cold depending on the match, he looks like an easy seed the next couple of years.

Everyone is handing this tournament to Djokovic. He'll probably win it, but it's a little surprising how there's been no buzz for Alcaraz, and Medvedev. It seems like almost everyone thinks Djokovic will win, and then if he doesn't it'll be Sinner.
Recency bias and small sample sizes are common, it's easier to play free vs. #1 cause you have nothing to lose, you can't say a player is top 50 based on 1 match, espe. in these kinds of matches, it's so easy to get caught up in 1 match, however in my limited viewings of this player he does have a nice game, and if he can find enough consistency he should be in the top 100 at some point, perhaps this season, but it's not easy by any means.

Wait 1st you say Prizmic is a good player then you say he handed the match to Nole, ok then.

Well this is Nole's event until someone else proves otherwise.

On the women's side:

Alina Korneeva and Brenda Fruhvirtova, two sixteen-year-olds, won three setters to move to the second round. Two 16-year-olds haven't done that at a major since 2007, the year that these girls were born.

Only saw the highlights of the match, but after Sabalenka's love and one dismantling of German teenager Ella Seidel, who didn't appear to play that badly, I would have to say it might be a smart idea to lay a few quid on Aryna to repeat as Champion. She looked beyond awesome. If her nerves hold, always the potential fly in the ointment, watch out.
I've watched Swiatek already this season and she's really on a mission again, going to be super tough to beat her.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Recency bias and small sample sizes are common, it's easier to play free vs. #1 cause you have nothing to lose, you can't say a player is top 50 based on 1 match, espe. in these kinds of matches, it's so easy to get caught up in 1 match, however in my limited viewings of this player he does have a nice game, and if he can find enough consistency he should be in the top 100 at some point, perhaps this season, but it's not easy by any means.

Wait 1st you say Prizmic is a good player then you say he handed the match to Nole, ok then.

Well this is Nole's event until someone else proves otherwise.

I've watched Swiatek already this season and she's really on a mission again, going to be super tough to beat her.
Fils was 251 at the start of 2023. Shelton was 96.

If you have the goods early on, you will be a seed within a year or two of getting onto the regular tour.

Prizmic may not have the goods, but if he's as good as I think, he'll be top 50 by this tournament next year.

I also didn't say he handed the match to Djokovic. I'm saying pundits and fans are giving Djokovic #25 before the tournament has taken place. He's come in as a huge favorite. He should absolutely be the favorite, but I think some of the other players aren't being given enough respect.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Fils was 251 at the start of 2023. Shelton was 96.

If you have the goods early on, you will be a seed within a year or two of getting onto the regular tour.

Prizmic may not have the goods, but if he's as good as I think, he'll be top 50 by this tournament next year.

I also didn't say he handed the match to Djokovic. I'm saying pundits and fans are giving Djokovic #25 before the tournament has taken place. He's come in as a huge favorite. He should absolutely be the favorite, but I think some of the other players aren't being given enough respect.
Well Fils isn't a seed yet.

Prizmic is 18, there are only 3 teens in the top 100, 1 is Fils, I see people make these kinds of predictions all the time and they are wrong most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad