Australian Ice Hockey League

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
haha, Melbourn Ice won 9-1 over the Knights today. Refs call every penalty, its absurd :D Koalapuck is fun to watch, not high quality but fun

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
From what I gather, this league is surprisingly solid project. Nice to see hockey gaining traction in Australia.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I'll be moving to Australia in January (Sunshine Coast/Noosa-area) and are looking for hockey teams to watch/play in/referee? Anyone got any advise? PM me! Thanks.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
I'll be moving to Australia in January (Sunshine Coast/Noosa-area) and are looking for hockey teams to watch/play in/referee? Anyone got any advise? PM me! Thanks.

a mate of mine was in a team in brisbane, which is about two hours drive south of noosa. i don't think you'll find an ice rink north of brissie.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
a mate of mine was in a team in brisbane, which is about two hours drive south of noosa. i don't think you'll find an ice rink north of brissie.

That's what I thought. But wont be a problem to go to Brisbane 2 times a week maybe to practice. I'll look it up more when I get there, fly in on the 4th of february!

Dingo3000

Jan 4, 2014
Sydney
I went to my first hockey game a few months back in Newcastle to watch the North Stars against a Melbourne team.

Have to say I was very impressed, and it certainly got me more interested in the sport.

I've since been watching a bit of the NHL and really enjoying it. Still trying to work out who to go for...

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I went to my first hockey game a few months back in Newcastle to watch the North Stars against a Melbourne team.

Have to say I was very impressed, and it certainly got me more interested in the sport.

I've since been watching a bit of the NHL and really enjoying it. Still trying to work out who to go for...

How's the level of hockey in the AIHL?

Also, definitely go Vancouver! Lots of Canucks fans in Australia!

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I read somewhere the Australian league might combine with the New zeland league, or atleast make a separate league like champions league. Any news about that?

IceBlacks

Dec 17, 2013
I read somewhere the Australian league might combine with the New zeland league, or atleast make a separate league like champions league. Any news about that?

They had Trans Tasman league in 2012 where two teams from New Zealand travelled to Australia to play against two teams from AIHL. It was supposed to be played again in New Zealand in 2013 but the Australian teams didn't want to come to New Zealand due to the travelling costs so the Trans Tasman league is currently not on the agenda.

Australia wants to find development rather from Europe than working with New Zealand. That's what I've been told about this situation.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I'm only new to the NHL so it was hard to gauge how good the AIHL game was- but I definitely enjoyed it.

Sorry - I went with the Red Wings!

That's okey, thanks for your help! I'll find something when I'm actually there, wont be a problem. Can't really argue with the Wings either, lots of swedes on the team!

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
They had Trans Tasman league in 2012 where two teams from New Zealand travelled to Australia to play against two teams from AIHL. It was supposed to be played again in New Zealand in 2013 but the Australian teams didn't want to come to New Zealand due to the travelling costs so the Trans Tasman league is currently not on the agenda.

Australia wants to find development rather from Europe than working with New Zealand. That's what I've been told about this situation.

To bad they would be natural partners in the development and haveing a diverse and stronger league together, but yeah transportation coasts are a problem.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I am just starting out in the sport but I will be learning here in Perth to play. Relatively active and coming from an AFL background should give me a start. The lack of skating ability is apparently going to be an issue but I have plenty of time and money to make that better.

Would love to represent WA one day.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Well. Travel costs are a big problem when you guys think about a combined league AUS/NZ. The distance of Sydney and Auckland is the same more or less as London to Istanbul! Only that in the second case you would have 7-8 countries in between.

The distance Perth -> Auckland is 5300 km, the same distance as London -> Novosibirsk or London -> Lagos/Nigeria or London -> New York.

Last edited:

Hoggy

Apr 30, 2011
Melbourne
AIHL 2014 has started, went to the Melbourne Mustangs vs Sydney Ice Dogs game tonight, Mustangs won 6-3. Was a good encounter, quite bruising in parts too.

4th game I've watched down here live, easily the quickest tempo and highest skilled.

NorthstarsDuck

Jul 15, 2014
@ Wunderpanda the home side in the clip is the Canberra Brave. They are the newest AIHL franchise that replaced the original Canberra Knights that existed until last year when their owner pulled the plug. The Canberra players went to the AIHL and asked if they could buy the franchise or a new licence to which they were told if they could raise the money they could take over the running of the club which they managed to raise the capital for. The name brave was chosen to replace the knights name and they play at the Phillips Ice Arena in Canberra and represent the Australian Capital Territory in the League.

Boomchenko

Oct 29, 2014
Hey guys. I'm new to the actual sport of Ice Hockey(have been in a ton of different sim leagues) and just wanted to say Hi in this thread. I'm a little intimidated by the general areas of the board as everyone seems like an expert! :)

Does anyone have suggestions for places to learn more about the sport, like rules and terminology?

SYvE9NH.gif

No1TopGun

Jan 26, 2011
Melbourne
Hey guys. I'm new to the actual sport of Ice Hockey(have been in a ton of different sim leagues) and just wanted to say Hi in this thread. I'm a little intimidated by the general areas of the board as everyone seems like an expert! :)

Does anyone have suggestions for places to learn more about the sport, like rules and terminology?

SYvE9NH.gif

Best way to learn it is to watch it. If you're really keen I'd advise getting gamecenter, you can watch every NHL game with no blackouts. If you're in a city thats got an AIHL team go to games. Other than that browsing these boards is a good way of pickin up terminology and what not.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

Just be thick-skinned, someone will eventually bite off your head for saying something they disagree with but that's internet everywhere!

Watching the sport is obviously a good idea, you could also pick up one of the EA Sports NHL games if you have a console. You can play video games and learn the rules/terminology as you go, how's that for fun?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad