Australian Ice Hockey League

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
A few photos from one of the Melbourne derby's this season, i thought they were pretty cool.

mrpqg9.jpg

25i3b85.jpg

o5cj8h.jpg

noto0661

Feb 2, 2004
What do the players make in the AUS League?

Hey there,

I know this is kind of random, but I'm curious to find out what the pro players make in AUS. I've always played hockey at high levels, but was never drafted to the CHL, and stopped playing.

I'm 26 now, and better at hockey than ever before.

What do the pros make in terms of salary there?
Do they have open try-outs or anything in the off-season?

Any info would be great, as I'm from Canada, and wouldn't know where to start.

Noto

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
Hey there,

I know this is kind of random, but I'm curious to find out what the pro players make in AUS. I've always played hockey at high levels, but was never drafted to the CHL, and stopped playing.

I'm 26 now, and better at hockey than ever before.

What do the pros make in terms of salary there?
Do they have open try-outs or anything in the off-season?

Any info would be great, as I'm from Canada, and wouldn't know where to start.

Noto

The teams are semi-professional & none of the local lads actually get paid, they do get discounts/concessions for airfares etc...

I am not 100% sure if the import players actually get paid, i assume they would.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Don't know if any of the Perth posters here went but Thunder beat the North Stars 4-2 this afternoon. Pretty good crowd on hand of around 200ish I'd say. Not bad considering it's a fair drive away for some people.

HookeyPookey*

Not sure if anyone would of seen it byut Last Saturdays Age had a tremendous article about the similarities between AFL and Hockey, new AIHL fans and where they are coming from, the history of the sport in Australia and forcasting of it's future was a great read. Im still searching for a copy online!

Not the article I am talking about but still good: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/for-...eally-get-their-skates-on-20110903-1jrgh.html

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/ice-hockey-shoots-and-scores-20110831-1jkxj.html

Like the rule adaptions I think in the main. Australians are more likely to swing to the 'hard but fair' mantra, especially found when I started watching alot of the cheap hits physicality, initionally annoyed me until I got use to it.

I havent been to any games yet still trying to force a mate along, but might just fly solo next year.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm moving to Australia for 6 months beginning this November, and I'm wondering if it's worth bringing my equipment down? Are there casual hockey leagues, and what kind of costs are there to join? I played up to Junior B (but was weak for that level) in Alberta when I was 18, but that was 10 years ago. My play has fallen off now since I've played casually (once every couple weeks) since then, though I'm probably in better shape now (I've shifted more to individual sports). We'll be staying in Melbourne. Also, if there are any ex-pat bars where Canadians congregate, I definitely still plan to follow the NHL/Canucks. Thanks!

ThreeStars

Sep 23, 2007
Melbourne, Oz
Absolutely bring your gear!

I am in Melbourne and there is definitely hockey here. Casually you can do drop-in and stick and puck at the Icehouse. There is an amateur league (see IHV) and summer hockey starts this week. If you want to play start contacting teams, lots are pretty full. Not being Canadian I am not sure what your skill level equates to, but for Summer Div 2 is non-checking I believe you might fit there. Costs wise, for summer I think it is about $200 + $120 IHA compulsory registration (insurance).

Bars-wise not sure, there is the Canadian club or whatever, but from Canadian friends here I gather they are a kinda family age group, ie not that great for the 20-30 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad