Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews Wins the Hart and Ted Lindsay Award! Makes 1st All-Star Team alongside Marner!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Just looked at the vote breakdown for the All Star teams.

Tuuka Rask got a 3rd place vote

Yes that Tuuka Rask.... the one who played 4 games with a GAA of 4.28 and SV% of .844
Just wow...People who pull that kinda shit should not be allowed anywhere near a hockey rink

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
It's been two days since the last comment on this. Also what's with only eight pages. Someone gets waived and it has 40 pages in a day. This needs to get.to forty pages by next weekend. I challenge everyone.

this is the yummiest troll against the main boards that has ever happened (those threads I expect 8 pages) and all we have come up with is a fart in the wind? Auston Matthews won the Hart and the Lindsay!! Let's go!!!!!!!m

Reactions: Kelly

Busher

May 17, 2021
There have been 14 centers in NHL history that have a trophy count of at least 4 major awards (major awards being Art Ross, Rocket, Hart, Lindsay, Conn Smythe):

Joe Malone
Nels Stewart
Howie Morenz
Jean Beliveau
Stan Mikita
Phil Esposito
Bobby Clarke
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews

Matthews joined the club this year, now up to 4 awards (2 Rockets, 1 Hart, 1 Lindsay).

All of them except McDavid and Matthews have won a cup. And all who are retired are all-time great-type hall of famers. Are centers like Matthews destined to win the cup? If history tells us anything, McDavid and Matthews should both win a cup soon. They’re too good not to.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
There have been 14 centers in NHL history that have a trophy count of at least 4 major awards (major awards being Art Ross, Rocket, Hart, Lindsay, Conn Smythe):

Joe Malone
Nels Stewart
Howie Morenz
Jean Beliveau
Stan Mikita
Phil Esposito
Bobby Clarke
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews

Matthews joined the club this year, now up to 4 awards (2 Rockets, 1 Hart, 1 Lindsay).

All of them except McDavid and Matthews have won a cup. And all who are retired are all-time great-type hall of famers. Are centers like Matthews destined to win the cup? If history tells us anything, McDavid and Matthews should both win a cup soon. They’re too good not to.
Don't see drai on that list..oh wait he's a LW masquerading as a center.. My bad..

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Just goes to show you what a crapshoot the Calder is. Other than AM, the only guys on that list who also won that trophy were Geno and Lemieux. Although Gretzky was jobbed because of the stupid WHA rule.

Reactions: slozo

Busher

May 17, 2021
Don't see drai on that list..oh wait he's a LW masquerading as a center.. My bad..

Draisaitl hasn’t won 4 major awards, he only won 3.

The list above is the entire list of centers in history with at least 4 total award wins.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Just goes to show you what a crapshoot the Calder is. Other than AM, the only guys on that list who also won that trophy were Geno and Lemieux. Although Gretzky was jobbed because of the stupid WHA rule.
And that is with 82 games, still legit though compared to the playoffs, 1st team to 16 wins….

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Joe Malone
Nels Stewart
Howie Morenz
Jean Beliveau
Stan Mikita
Phil Esposito
Bobby Clarke
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews

With our luck he wins it when he's 39 on some random team in the last year of his career

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so this happened at the UFC. Typo or things to come?

FWtlOsvWYAAp4Vd

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Joe Malone
Nels Stewart
Howie Morenz
Jean Beliveau
Stan Mikita
Phil Esposito
Bobby Clarke
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews

There is going to be a terrible skew towards more modern players with that criteria. It's not like these trophies have existed throughout the NHL's history. They came into existence in the following years:

Hart - 1924
Art Ross - 1948
Conn Smythe - 1965
Ted Lindsay / Lester B. Pearson -1971
Rocket RIchard - 1999

Busher

May 17, 2021
There is going to be a terrible skew towards more modern players with that criteria. It's not like these trophies have existed throughout the NHL's history. They came into existence in the following years:

Hart - 1924
Art Ross - 1948
Conn Smythe - 1965
Ted Lindsay / Lester B. Pearson -1971
Rocket RIchard - 1999

My list has retroactively awarded the Art Ross and Rocket to yearly point and goal leaders going back to 1918. So the only “new” awards are the Conn Smythe from 1965 and Lindsay from 1971. And even then, that’s over 50 years now.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I thought personally McDavid should have won the Hart; but for him to win the Pearson, voted on by his peers, says a lot about how others perceive him as well.

But here's the question I want answered . . . are we going to ever see this supposed MVP play like an MVP in a deciding game 6 or 7 in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform? Look at the other candidates and how they played in their scenarios . . . it's quite a contrast.

Busher

May 17, 2021
I thought personally McDavid should have won the Hart; but for him to win the Pearson, voted on by his peers, says a lot about how others perceive him as well.

But here's the question I want answered . . . are we going to ever see this supposed MVP play like an MVP in a deciding game 6 or 7 in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform? Look at the other candidates and how they played in their scenarios . . . it's quite a contrast.

History would suggest Matthews would win a cup sooner or later. I know it’s a 32 team league now so the first half of my list isn’t really applicable, and Gretzky and Mario are in a league of their own so they don’t apply either, but players like Matthews (who win all the best awards) are typically those you can count on to eventually win the cup.

Yzerman is often brought up as an example of how not all great centers win right away, but in reality Yzerman’s long wait to a cup is an exception. Most great all-time centers as decorated as Matthews usually win early enough in their careers. I’d guess that both Matthews and McDavid would win a cup by year 10.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
History would suggest Matthews would win a cup sooner or later. I know it’s a 32 team league now so the first half of my list isn’t really applicable, and Gretzky and Mario are in a league of their own so they don’t apply either, but players like Matthews (who win all the best awards) are typically those you can count on to eventually win the cup.

Yzerman is often brought up as an example of how not all great centers win right away, but in reality Yzerman’s long wait to a cup is an exception. Most great all-time centers as decorated as Matthews usually win early enough in their careers. I’d guess that both Matthews and McDavid would win a cup by year 10.
I agree with McDavid, because he has shown himself to be an MVP in the playoffs.

Can't see it with Matthews though - at least not yet!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Awesome! He worked his tail off to win those awards for himself and our team, now it's time for Dubas to give him real support to go win a Cup. Gotta go all in, do or die 2022-23

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Atleast there is no argument this time for Marner to get paid the same.

Marner is not center and does not have the hardware to compete for a Matthews deal.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why would Matthews agent only have a NMC on 23-24? Odd he didn’t do it all 6 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad