Auston Matthews vs Sasha Barkov

Which one?

• Total voters

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Didn't we already do this? Why are we re-doing the poll while one guys has missed a month of games while the other players team is red hot?

Reactions: Cotton

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
what has Matthews done to prove he's better other than have a better rookie season?

could Matthews end up being the player? yes. has he done that yet? no
Way better ppg in his second season too. Also both have played six playoff games: Barkov 2 goals 1 assist. Matthews 4 goals 1 assist. This is likely way too small of a sample size. At least Matthews will be able to build on that this year though.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Voted Matthews. He's a bit more dangerous on offense.

Easily Barkov for this season though. Sasha has been all world while Matthews has had an injury riddled year.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Way better ppg in his second season too. Also both have played six playoff games: Barkov 2 goals 1 assist. Matthews 4 goals 1 assist. This is likely way too small of a sample size. At least Matthews will be able to build on that this year though.

you're just bringing up the same argument that I already acknowledged

what has Matthews done better besides having a better rookie year?
so you bring up his 2nd year that still isn't ant better that what barkov is currently playing at

keep bringing up age to stats like we live in a time warp

wanna compare pavel datsyuk's rookie season to Matthews and tell me Matthews is better ?

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
you're just bringing up the same argument that I already acknowledged

what has Matthews done better besides having a better rookie year?
so you bring up his 2nd year that still isn't ant better that what barkov is currently playing at

keep bringing up age to stats like we live in a time warp
I compared Matthews second year to Barkov's second year. It was way better. Barkov is finishing his FIFTH season, Matthews just his second. I can't wait to see Matthews numbers after five nhl seasons. If the trend continues, they will better than Barkov's. Barkov is a great player though. Top 5 young C in nhl for sure.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Matthews projects to be better if you think development is linear. He has been better in his first two seasons than Barkov was in his first two seasons.

With that being said, Barkov is better right now. Similar offensive abilities, while Barkov is a beast defensively and Matthews is just okay.

Think long-term this will be Matthews though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Obviously I did a homer vote for Matthews, however I honestly do believe he will become a better player.

I'm also wondering what is with the OP and always making polls of Leafs players vs various NHL players from Finland.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Barkov is a bit better right now. Better defensively, similar offensively. Matthews could pass him, but no guarantees. Matthews' early success doesn't mean he'll be better, as it's unlikely a player coming into the league that polished is going to have a big jump like Barkov made in his 3rd year.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
Barkov is the more polished player at the moment but Matthews has the potential to be as good defensively as Barkov, I personally think they are similar players, with a much higher offensive season.

Peak Matthews, in my opinion, is a 50 goal scoring Barkov.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I am huge Barkov fan but i value Matthews goal scoring ability more. Barkov is better defensively but Matthews is no slouch. Matthews could pot 50 goals in his prime and scoring goals is hardest thing to do. Matthews and Barkov are fans of each other games and think highly of each other. Barkov even said Matthews being toughest match up in the NHL. Both are special players.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
currently or potential?
currently: Barkov, PPG all-situation/Selke caliber C
potential: AM - based off his progression in his first two seaons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad