Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round VI (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Sounds like Laine generated a ton a even strength, a couple of nice vines on twitter of him getting robbed by the goalie. Now upto 4+3 7 points in 4 games, ties Jack Eichel's WC numbers from last year in 6 less games while being 6 months younger than Eichel during Eichel's WCs, also 3rd in the tournament in SoG. :handclap: Pressure on Matthews for the next game, let's see what he does against France. He doesn't need to outscore Laine but he can't let him run away with a big points difference

What record is up next for Laine? I think there is a Crosby record of 19 points for an 19 year old, I believe there is one at 11 points as well right?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Exactly. He has a lot more time and space to get his big shot off on wider ice and pp. there are less powerplays in playoffs. He is more predictable.

Like even gord miller calls it. "Laine is going to wait at the top of the circle to shoot" or fire a pass across the lane for a one timer.

I didnt even see the game but i bet i can describe his assist
Thats pretty worrisome

Surprise :D

Laine was on fire on ES today, not so much on PP because nobody could pass the puck to him in PP.

He pass was backhand saucer :D You were pretty good at describing it.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
In my opinion was best finnish player on ice. In general mind he was atleast top-3. Had more scoring opportunities than he had in all games before this. Dangerous especially in ES, didn't get much puck in PP.

Funny how differently people can see the game :laugh: I thought Laine was awful tonight, worst forward with Jokinen, especially bad in ES.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I didn't see the game, but I can't believe playing on a line with Barkov, he only got one assist vs Hungary. Didn't France beat them like 6-2? I was expecting Finland vs Hungary to be a gongshow, and Laine have a hat-trick and a couple of helpers the way people are hyping him and the quality of opponent. How did he play in general aside from points?

Definitely wasn't a great game for him, or really any of the Finnish players. The team, including Laine, looked pretty sloppy for the most part. Laine had a couple of good chances and created some good opportunities, but overall wasn't a great game for him. With that being said, the Hungary goalie played on his head today, which is why that wasn't a blowout.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Funny how differently people can see the game :laugh: I thought Laine was awful tonight, worst forward with Jokinen, especially bad in ES.

You gotta be kidding me? He drew 2 penalties and had most scoring changes in the whole team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, Laine had some really good moments, but also gave up the puck a lot. He hasn't been as crisp as he was in Belarus and Germany games.

Guys like Aho, Granlund were the best players for Finland.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think people just want to see if Laine can contribute 5 on 5. We all know how talented he is and how he can do whatever he wants in open space. But when things get tighter, what happens? It will be even more of an issue on the smaller ice and in the NHL game.

Team Finland has had huge problems 5on5 to get their game going and scoring, but that brilliant coach refuses to change anything.
It feels like Barkov and Laine are ready to take their game to next level but Jokinen is dragging them down, and it feels like every line is the same, 1 guy who doesn't fit.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
Exactly. He has a lot more time and space to get his big shot off on wider ice and pp. there are less powerplays in playoffs. He is more predictable.

Like even gord miller calls it. "Laine is going to wait at the top of the circle to shoot" or fire a pass across the lane for a one timer.

I didnt even see the game but i bet i can describe his assist
Thats pretty worrisome

Well describe it then? Pass across the lane for one timer?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Yeah, Laine had some really good moments, but also gave up the puck a lot. He hasn't been as crisp as he was in Belarus and Germany games.

Guys like Aho, Granlund were the best players for Finland.

Aho was downgraded from 1st line to 3rd line during 2nd period and coach Jalonen said Koivus line game got much better after they changed Aho out and Komarov in.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Laine has been absolutely brutal in this game but i dont get the ES/ PP points talk i mean how is a pp goal less significant than an es goal? Both are worth the same on the scoreboard.

:help:

Laine drew 2 penalties and had multiple scoring chances on ES. One of the best players if not the best on team Finland. Jokinen on the other hand was brutal once again.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Aho was downgraded from 1st line to 3rd line during 2nd period and coach Jalonen said Koivus line game got much better after they changed Aho out and Komarov in.

And we all know how well the Finnish coach has handled his lineup. ;) Aho generated all of his shots in the 2nd and 3rd periods

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
Yup Laine and Granny was best for team Finland. Hungarian goalie was on fire tonight so there could have been more goals.
2 penalties and a backhand saucer pass to Barkys goal. You cant have a highlight slapper in every game.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
For all this even strength handwringing, As pointed out in the last thread Laine had a lower % of his points on the PP in the liiga than Barkov did during his draft year. Pulju is pretty close as well only 3% lower than Laine :popcorn:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Surprise :D

Laine was on fire on ES today, not so much on PP because nobody could pass the puck to him in PP.

He pass was backhand saucer :D You were pretty good at describing it.

Fair enough. He had a different pass today. The leafs pick at 1 and i am worried his game might not translate. Teams will overplay his shot on pp and close distance on him quicker. Like ovy last night doing the same thing over and over without success in last period.

I taped the game while at work. Im curious to see his es play. There was a really good post showing that his 10/27 es goal ratio wasnt that out of line with jp and barkov. Which helps.

Matthews scored only 5 of 24 reg season goals.
On pp which i am more comfortable with. Hunter likes to gamble on skill and potential. People are hyping him as highest potential. So we might pick him

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For all this even strength handwringing, As pointed out in the last thread Laine had a lower % of his points on the PP in the liiga than Barkov did during his draft year. Pulju is pretty close as well only 3% lower than Laine :popcorn:

But he also scored 1 3 on 3 and one 6 on 5 in reg. and 1 6 on 5 in playoffs.

So he scored 6/17 goals 5 on 5.
35 % of goals were 5 on 5.
That percentage is higher. 2/17 bumps the total up 12%.
Matthews scored 5/24 on pp
80% 5 on 5.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
laine is the better player but Leafs have to go with Matthews.

Matthews is the better player, safer pick, and fills a need for Toronto. No doubt Leafs will go with him.

I mentioned this earlier but I find it concerning that Laine leads the tourney in scoring yet has a +/- of 0.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I don't really think the PP production being the majority of his production is a legitimate concern, but I'll admit it would be pleasant to see him produce more during ES moments, where most of the game is played.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't really think the PP production being the majority of his production is a legitimate concern, but I'll admit it would be pleasant to see him produce more during ES moments, where most of the game is played.

You need to say that to the whole line.
There's 3 players on a line and it's pretty clear that it's not clicking.

snizzbone*

I mentioned this earlier but I find it concerning that Laine leads the tourney in scoring yet has a +/- of 0.

+/- is a dumb stat as everyone knows. Even dumber when you know that Laine has been scoring a lot on the PP this WC, which doesn't give you a +.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Matthews is the better player, safer pick, and fills a need for Toronto. No doubt Leafs will go with him.

really? that's your concern with him? hes a young kid playing in a tourney with/against great players around the world and leading the tourney in scoring and is 0 for +-... Auston Matthews is a plus 1

seems like a bit of a reach trying to cut him down with his +- stat

I cant believe this kid is born in '98... unbelievable

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
You need to say that to the whole line.
There's 3 players on a line and it's pretty clear that it's not clicking.

I really don't because I'm not considering drafting the other two! :laugh: I get your point, but I don't really care about any other player on Finland aside from Laine considering he's the only player who my team has a chance to select.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
really? that's your concern with him? hes a young kid playing in a tourney with/against great players around the world and leading the tourney in scoring and is 0 for +-... Auston Matthews is a plus 1

seems like a bit of a reach trying to cut him down with his +- stat

Which is better than Laine. Laine has also played against very weak teams, yet is still a 0. I know most of his points have been scored on the PP but its still weird to see. If Laine can learn to score more points 5v5 this argument is a lot closer IMO.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
You gotta be kidding me? He drew 2 penalties and had most scoring changes in the whole team.

Weird. At Jatkoaika-forum everyone seems to agree that Laine had a bad game but here all the Finnish posters are pumping his tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad