Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

So...his only season ever?
Cool thread, bro.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
So...his only season ever?
Cool thread, bro.
It was also Draisaitl's first full season in the NHL.

I'm not hating on Matthews, I actually really like him as a player. I just think that he hasn't done nearly enough to justify a 10 million+ contract.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018

I'm not hating on Matthews, I actually really like him as a player. I just think that he hasn't done nearly enough to justify a 10 million+ contract.

Haha, honestly I hope so too. Why don't people understand that if we could somehow get Matthews for 8x something under 10m it would help with signing the other players. Its not like we want him to get that contract, it's just that Leafs fans are being realistic.

Its not going to happen though. Drai played with McDavid for a good portion of the year on the wing. You are also comparing a 21 year old in his 3rd season with NHL experience of some kind to a rookie 19 year old. Ignoring all this, Matthews also is a shoot first center with 2 other rookies that were in his line, keep in mind. May explain the lower assist totals but ultimately he still got 40 goals and in both of Matthews' seasons so far he's got more even strength goals than Drai ever had goals in a season. Look to Eichel for a comparable contract.

Trust me, Leafs fans more than anybody, wants his contract to be under 10m, it's our team after all. But also because it's our player, we know it's not going to happen, because of the calibre of player he is.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Depends on the playoffs honestly. However those who say that are just trying to get to Leaf fans. He won't get more than McDavid, in fact I don't see him getting a dime over 10.5. Also if he wasn't hurt, he would have been a PPG 40+ goal scorer coming into the playoffs. Everyone with eyeballs can see he is special, so no offense to anyone but just because his stat line looks underwhelming, Matthews has the "IT" factor and will bring Toronto a cup.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If Matthews hasn't earned a contract north of $10M this off season, he won't sign this off season.
I think he takes what he can get by the time training camp rolls around. He's had a rough go with his shoulder, and knows how injuries could derail him next year. He'll take the guaranteed 9-11milion and run with it.

That said, Lou would be a fool to try and barter much or hold out with matthews. That's not something you do to star players.

Last edited:

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Depends on the playoffs honestly. However those who say that are just trying to get to Leaf fans. He won't get more than McDavid, in fact I don't see him getting a dime over 10.5. Also if he wasn't hurt, he would have been a PPG 40+ goal scorer coming into the playoffs. Everyone with eyeballs can see he is special, so no offense to anyone but just because his stat line looks underwhelming, Matthews has the "IT" factor and will bring Toronto a cup.

This

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With the with the cap going up, he will be getting over 8 yr deal 10.5 - 12 million easy.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is this the oilers fan version of playoffs???

I would love him to take 8.5. He is top 5 in the league in goals since he started and missed 20 games.

He is worth 8x10. Eichel inflated it maybe which will suck but that’s my hope

Reactions: Pure

varano

Jun 27, 2013

This thread sounds like a very backhanded way of you trying to tell us the Draisitl is better than Matthews while at the same time trying to justify Draisitls contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I bet you think Eichel has though don't you

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Yeah, in reality, Draisaitl hasn't earned 8.5 and Eichel sure as heck haven't earned 10 million....but here we are. Matthews knows he's better than each of them, and has every right to expect 10million at minimum.

It just sucks that 2 stupid GM's signed two comparables too contracts that are a little too high.

Reactions: Dzonna

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
The Eichel, Drai and McDavid contracts raised the bar for any high pick coming off a successful entry level contract. I wouldnt say Drai and Eichel earned the money but at this point you are paying them for what they should become. Matthews agent will use those 3 contracts as comparables to what he is worth. If the leafs get him to sign for less than $10 per year its a steal.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I love this tight rope that Leafs fans walk when it comes to Matthews. They want to give him Getzlaf money while giving him Crosby talent. LOL.

This year he’s 21st in the league in PPG with players over 30 games. I don’t see him signing a contract until at least half way though next year.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If the Leafs want to sign him long term they'll have to play 10 M or so. Nothing wrong with having Matthews as your #1 center until he is 30.

No rush. He has another year of his ELC. Why are we talking about this right now?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He's going to ask for at least as much as Eichel, probably a bit more. And he will get it.

Leafs fans saying otherwise are delusional.

Reactions: go4hockey

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I love this tight rope that Leafs fans walk when it comes to Matthews. They want to give him Getzlaf money while giving him Crosby talent. LOL.

This year he’s 21st in the league in PPG with players over 30 games. I don’t see him signing a contract until at least half way though next year.

It is usually the other way around.

Other fans tell us Matthews isn't all that good, not even close to the same tier as X, Y, Z players but then say it will cost us at least 11M to sign him or something ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad