Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
If he signs this off season it will be between 10.5 and 11, if he signs after next year then it will be 12+ with the cap going up. Regardless, he will be in Toronto for a long time.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We'll see what happens, if he waits another year and just a little improvement and good health he could hit 90 points next year.

I agree the OP is being a little back handed and does not see the flaws in his argument. What has a point a game C done to merit a good contract? Really? It does not take a lot of imagination to see him scoring 40+ goals any year he's healthy. 34 goals after missing 20 games. C'mon OP, you're trying too hard.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We'll see what happens, if he waits another year and just a little improvement and good health he could hit 90 points next year.

I agree the OP is being a little back handed and does not see the flaws in his argument. What has a point a game C done to merit a good contract? Really? It does not take a lot of imagination to see him scoring 40+ goals any year he's healthy. 34 goals after missing 20 games. C'mon OP, you're trying too hard.

I think 80 is more likely.

Still a $10 Million dollar player.

Have the "he is injury prone" posts started yet? It did when McDavid got hurt. Tiresome.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Negotiations use % of cap for precedent contracts, not actual dollars. Cap goes up, comparable contract goes up

In terms of not doing what Draisatl has done, I will disagree. He's exceeded Draisatl's best career ppg despite being 2 years younger and being the best player on his line where Draisatl often isn't.

Pedigree will factor in as well, there's certainly some paying for potential that happens with guys of a touted #1OA ilk, which is why Eichel is Matthews' comparable more than Draisatl is (he was a #1OA caliber prospect that had the misfortune of being drafted in the same year as a generational player). Looking at Eichel as a comparable, there's a strong case to be made that Matthews is a better player as a better goal scorer, better rookie and sophmore scoring rates and a better two way skillset.

Have the "he is injury prone" posts started yet? It did when McDavid got hurt. Tiresome.

he beat the 80 pace this year, if he's healthy there's probably a good chance of 85-90....especially if Hyman gets replaced on his line which someone said that Babcock told them Grundstrom would do (Kypreos I think)

we've started to hear "injury prone" rumblings but not a lot yet

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Well of course you think he has peaked as a sophomore. Most objective people probably think he has room to grow yet.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well of course you think he has peaked as a sophomore. Most objective people probably think he has room to grow yet.

Dial it back there. I was replying to a post that said next year. I think 80 is more realistic than 90. I never said he has peaked. Jebus.

I'm pretty objective when it comes to Matthews. Take a look at my posts. Are you?

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
He must have a good agent if he’s able to convince Lou he’s worth 10 million while finishing out of top 60 in scoring.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

leafsnat1on

Jan 16, 2014
Toronto
Matthews is a good guy. He's going to do an 8x8 just to keep the kids together. Cash under the table + lifetime of endorsements and toronto hype is all he needs...i hope

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dial it back there. I was replying to a post that said next year. I think 80 is more realistic than 90. I never said he has peaked. Jebus.

I'm pretty objective when it comes to Matthews. Take a look at my posts. Are you?

I think expecting him to improve and not stagnate is fairly objective.

Last edited:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He must have a good agent if he’s able to convince Lou he’s worth 10 million while finishing out of top 60 in scoring.

LOL

Matthews finished the season with 63 points in 62 games, average that over a full 82 game season and he would've finished with 83 points in his second season. That would've placed him in the top 20 in scoring.

He finished the season with 34 goals in 62 games, average that over a full season and he would've scored 45 goals, good enough for 2nd in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

All that and he played with the season with the 2nd pp unit which was off all season. Marner's unit is the top unit, the numbers show it, they were historically good. Just for reference, Matthews finished last year with 21 PP points, which would be 4 more than what he averaged this year. If he finished with even the same amount of pp points as he had last year, he would've finished 11th in league scoring, 2 points back of Crosby...in his SECOND SEASON. The numbers show he's improved this year so who knows how many pp points he could've had hypothetically speaking.

That's why he's worth at least $10 million

He's this era's Malkin and we got this era's Kane too (Marner) , just embrace it.

:)

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
LOL

Matthews finished the season with 63 points in 62 games, average that over a full 82 game season and he would've finished with 83 points in his second season. That would've placed him in the top 20 in scoring.

He finished the season with 34 goals in 62 games, average that over a full season and he would've scored 45 goals, good enough for 2nd in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

All that and he played with the season with the 2nd pp unit which was off all season. Marner's unit is the top unit, the numbers show it, they were historically good. Just for reference, Matthews finished last year with 21 PP points, which would be 4 more than what he averaged this year. If he finished with even the same amount of pp points as he had last year, he would've finished 11th in league scoring, 2 points back of Crosby...in his SECOND SEASON. The numbers show he's improved this year so who knows how many pp points he could've had hypothetically speaking.

He's this era's Malkin and we got this era's Kane too (Marner) , just embrace it.

Certainly not saying he's not a great player. That’s a steep contract for a guy with a bunch of “what if’s and projections”

I’d rather see him actually put up the numbers to get paid.

There have even been comparisons,in the Maple Leaf fan base to Mcdavid numbers. Off the top of my head I heard a stat he is almost 90 pts behind Mcdavid over the past two yrs. That’s a decent gap imo

And has my wondering if players that are only behind Matthews by 90 pts over the two seasons could ask for Matthews money??

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Certainly not saying he's not a great player. That’s a steep contract for a guy with a bunch of “what if’s and projections”

I’d rather see him actually put up the numbers to get paid.

There have even been comparisons,in the Maple Leaf fan base to Mcdavid numbers. Off the top of my head I heard a stat he is almost 90 pts behind Mcdavid over the past two yrs. That’s a decent gap imo
What is and projections? Can you read? All I said was if he played all 82 games like he did his first season, his numbers pace out to 83... you know...ppg?

Also, peep the ice time difference between McDavid and Matthews...and it's hard to argue with the results seeing as the Leafs are an 105 point team with Matthews the best player and the Oilers being dog shit.

Matthews is 4th in the league in the last 2 years in ES Total Points per 60min and 1st in primary points per 60min.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

That's the great news for Leaf fans - McDavid's huge lead in traditional stats, even though it's very misleading, almost certainly means that the Leafs will be able to sign Matthews to a much better deal.

It's actually the great thing about Babcock's minutes-limiting system all-around - all of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly are better than their raw totals say they are, and they'll all be on bargain contracts as a result.

The opposite of, say, Draisaitl - who is an excellent player, but whose raw scoring numbers make him look better than he actually is.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
What is and projections? Can you read? All I said was if he played all 82 games like he did his first season, his numbers pace out to 83... you know...ppg?

Also, peep the ice time difference between McDavid and Matthews...and it's hard to argue with the results seeing as the Leafs are an 105 point team with Matthews the best player and the Oilers being dog ****.

Matthews is 4th in the league in the last 2 years in ES Total Points per 60min and 1st in primary points per 60min

I guess we can agree to disagree, all I know is when I look up scoring leaders on NHL.com..

I see Mcdavid Crosby Taveres Stamkos Draisaitl all the top players, but I can’t find him.

I’m sure Lou will look at that at contract time

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The Leafs should offer a contract that pays Matthews 100 million over 8 years, increasing each year. I know, at first it seems crazy!
However , when you factor in inflation,cap increases, peer comparisons,Canadian dollar, and the fact that it would obliterate any thought of going somewhere else, would be worth it.
He is 'the man' here in Toronto, He is gonna get paid large,if not here then somewhere else. He is just getting started! Dollars to donuts ,some desperate teams are considering an offer sheet. Can't have that happen!

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
That's the great news for Leaf fans - McDavid's huge lead in traditional stats, even though it's very misleading, almost certainly means that the Leafs will be able to sign Matthews to a much better deal.

It's actually the great thing about Babcock's minutes-limiting system all-around - all of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly are better than their raw totals say they are, and they'll all be on bargain contracts as a result.

The opposite of, say, Draisaitl - who is an excellent player, but whose raw scoring numbers make him look better than he actually is.

Yes you are correct, just cause Mcdavid only scores at close to double the rate of Matthews doesn’t mean he’s a better scorer.

But in the traditional sense. And using real numbers not projections and maybes...it’s not close

Reactions: Snowman

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yes you are correct, just cause Mcdavid only scores at close to double the rate of Matthews doesn’t mean he’s a better scorer.

But in the traditional sense. And using real numbers not projections and maybes...it’s not close

thankfully, the people arguing about the contracts will agree with you.

Reactions: nobody

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
LOL

I wouldn't take @poolparty98 seriously. The poster claims to be an Oilers fan but spends majority of his time on Leafs related threads. I still recall his proposal; "Kris Russell for Marner" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->