Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Amazing the amount of dummies, including people in the media like Jeff Oneill , who think that players like Nylander and Matthews are just wimps without any knowledge of what's actually going in. What's more logical, that AM just didn't want to play because he has a tummy ache or that there were serious issues that made the doctor think he should be pulled?
Given recent history, you really taking this side? No wonder this bad situation has been going on for so long.

Bunch of couch sitters in this thread.
Lot more physically demanding jobs than a sports league. I'd always caution against these kind of statements.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he's constantly getting sick maybe he should wear a mask and wash his hands occasionally.

I don’t really get it. If a player is really sick and he’s powering through as best he can… but he could also spread it around the room and make X number of teammates also sick and that bug manages to ruin a playoff run before it’s started… what’s the thought process there, since we just came out of that 2020-2022 event that shall not be named.

I don’t get the logic here.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
you wear a mask in a bar and at a party afterwards? wash your hands every time someone hands you a beer?

bro I still don't believe you lol... this is a troll post it has to be

ah we have another troll post... it has to be, I don't believe that these posts are for real
If I was making over 10 million a year and had a responsibility to a fan base millions strong, I would avoid bars, parties, strip clubs, etc. for the few weeks the playoffs represent in an effort to maintain my own health over this period and not bring sickness to the whole team.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
If I was making over 10 million a year and had a responsibility to a fan base millions strong, I would avoid bars, parties, strip clubs, etc. for the few weeks the playoffs represent in an effort to maintain my own health over this period and not bring sickness to the whole team.
oh ok

so bars, parties, strip clubs are okay from October-March but from April-June they can't go..

well if they wear a mask, can they still go to the strip club? Is it okay to go to a party in April if they wash their hands every 15 minutes?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Bunch of couch sitters in this thread.
Just because we are watching from the couch doesn’t mean we don’t know crap when we see it

Holy f*** we were about to go down 3-1 but the doc thought his sniffles were too much

Nylander’s out here acting like the captain of losers, marners playing like a loser, Tavares is an actual loser, and Matthews is doing this

What a core.
Ya it seems there is always something wrong with matthews when it matters. He is either sick or playing with a nagging injury

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
-Matthews is the best player on this team.
-Matthews is the best goal scorer in the NHL now.
-Matthews is an overall top 5 player in the league.

-Matthews is also a guy who doesn't push himself to another level in the playoffs (or maybe he pushes himself to that level in the regular season and there is no 'next playoff level')
-Matthews is also a guy who cannot will himself take over and dominate an important game and carry his team, basically say something like "give me the puck and get out of the way I'm winning this game."

The first 3 things AND the 2nd 2 things can be true at the same time.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Come on...

It's too late to worry about spreading germs. 20 more minutes of ice time would not kill him. Shame.

$13.25M/yr. WOW!
Remember when Bobby Baun scored a finals game winner with a broken leg
Come on...

It's too late to worry about spreading germs. 20 more minutes of ice time would not kill him. Shame.

$13.25M/yr. WOW!

Reactions: ORRFForever

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

-Matthews is also a guy who doesn't push himself to another level in the playoffs (or maybe he pushes himself to that level in the regular season and there is no 'next playoff level')
-Matthews is also a guy who cannot will himself take over and dominate an important game and carry his team, basically say something like "give me the puck and get out of the way I'm winning this game."

Yup. Matthews is simply not a leader.

Reactions: JKG33

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

What’s crazy is Marner and Matthews both have just 2 goals in their last 10 playoff games.

Though Matthews went crazy last year against Tampa

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Always been a Matthews fan but 1 goal in your last 9 playoff games isnt good enough for the leagues best goal scorer.
Don't forget highest paid either.

20240428_100843.gif

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews ranking for playoff points.
I'm pretty sure he leads the league in salary.

playoff.points.april.28.2024.matthews.61.png

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I've been watching hockey a hell of a long time, and I'm not sure I remember a guy being pulled from a game by a doctor for something other than a concussion. I've seen guys get IV fluids between periods because of dehydration. Between this and Nylander, what is going on here?
This is all the Leafiest thing ever. I've never seen a team with this much talent find interesting, unique, and embarrassing ways to lose in the playoffs yet here we are on year 8.

I always used to say the fact that this team hasn't, out of sheer dumb luck, won a playoff rd is insane. But it looks like that's what we can credit last year

Amazing the amount of dummies, including people in the media like Jeff Oneill , who think that players like Nylander and Matthews are just wimps without any knowledge of what's actually going in. What's more logical, that AM just didn't want to play because he has a tummy ache or that there were serious issues that made the doctor think he should be pulled?
We've got 7 yeats of shitty playoff efforts to suggest the former...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad