Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He shows up offensively in many games, but overall he has clearly been the worst of the 3 in the playoffs.
Even if that's true (and I'm not saying it is), why would you compare him to guys who's cap hit exceeds his by many millions?

He's the only one of our "big 3/4" who's production hasn't dropped off in the playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Even if that's true (and I'm not saying it is), why would you compare him to guys who's cap hit exceeds his by many millions?

He's the only one of our "big 3/4" who's production hasn't dropped off in the playoffs.

Nylander has never dominated a series like Matthews did both times against Tampa... and that's taking offense only into account and Matthews absolutely thwomps Nylander defensively. I don't see how anyone watched close to all of our playoff games and concluded Nylander is the one who showed up most consistently. He's allergic to his own end for probably more than half of every series he ever played.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Nylander has never dominated a series like Matthews did both times against Tampa... and that's taking offense only into account and Matthews absolutely thwomps Nylander defensively. I don't see how anyone watched close to all of our playoff games and concluded Nylander is the one who showed up most consistently. He's allergic to his own end for probably more than half of every series he ever played.
He was pretty dominate in the Mon series.

Until next year though he was never paid like Matthews and Marner.

He really is a high end complimentary player.

Points per dollar earned he blows Matthews and Marner out in the playoffs.

The arguement that he is brutal in his own end a l9t is also true.

Reactions: Confucius

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you're not going to address my point, why bother to respond?

Here it is again in case you somehow missed it:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If you're not going to address my point, why bother to respond?

Here it is again in case you somehow missed it:

Because you brought him up and said he's been better than them in the playoffs, and he hasn't been.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because you brought him up and said he's been better than them in the playoffs, and he hasn't been.
What I said was that Nylander "brings it consistently" in he playoffs. What I meant by that is that unlike our other high priced stars, his production doesn't drop off in the playoffs. Matthews, Marner and especially JT, their numbers drop off in the playoffs, not Nylander.

Nylander has played up to his cap hit, both regular season and playoffs. The same can't be said about the others.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What I said was that Nylander "brings it consistently" in he playoffs. What I meant by that is that unlike our other high priced stars, his production doesn't drop off in the playoffs. Matthews, Marner and especially JT, their numbers drop off in the playoffs, not Nylander.

Nylander has played up to his cap hit, both regular season and playoffs. The same can't be said about the others.
That is a stretch IMO. I recall one playoff game last year where he was invisible in the first two periods and then dominated the third like I had never seen before. I think we still lost that game vs Florida??

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is a stretch IMO. I recall one playoff game last year where he was invisible in the first two periods and then dominated the third like I had never seen before. I think we still lost that game vs Florida??
Read the next sentence - overall playoff production is what I was referring to. Everyone has bad periods, games etc.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He needs to play consistently at both ends of the ice before he can be considered dominant.
He does have some good offensive stretches but 5 on 5 seems he gives up as much as he gets.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He needs to play consistently at both ends of the ice before he can be considered dominant.
He does have some good offensive stretches but 5 on 5 seems he gives up as much as he gets.

Looking at the big 4 the last 2 playoffs:

Production:

Goals:
Matthews: 9
Tavares: 7
Nylander: 7
Marner: 5

Matthews: 20
Nylander: 17
Tavares: 14

With 18 games played for all, not bad numbers against Vasy/Bob. Considering the difference between Tavares and Nylander is 3 2nd assists, I'm not sure why one guy is held up as a saint and the other decried though.

5v5 on-ice goals for rate:
Marner: 3.55
Matthews: 2.69
Tavares: 2.17
Nylander: 1.87

5v5 on-ice goals against rate:
Marner: 1.93
Matthews: 2.14
Tavares: 2.60
Nylander: 3.02

Nylander has been great on the PP or when things get a little more open (4v4) but has been a real drag on the team 5v5 to say the least. I don't think most fans give a crap about forward D though. It's been a pattern for Nylander even going back to the Montreal series in that he is a detriment defensively but he still remains a huge positive as long as he is scoring well.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Looking at the big 4 the last 2 playoffs:

Production:

Goals:
Matthews: 9
Tavares: 7
Nylander: 7
Marner: 5

Matthews: 20
Nylander: 17
Tavares: 14

With 18 games played for all, not bad numbers against Vasy/Bob. Considering the difference between Tavares and Nylander is 3 2nd assists, I'm not sure why one guy is held up as a saint and the other decried though.

5v5 on-ice goals for rate:
Marner: 3.55
Matthews: 2.69
Tavares: 2.17
Nylander: 1.87

5v5 on-ice goals against rate:
Marner: 1.93
Matthews: 2.14
Tavares: 2.60
Nylander: 3.02

Nylander has been great on the PP or when things get a little more open (4v4) but has been a real drag on the team 5v5 to say the least. I don't think most fans give a crap about forward D though. It's been a pattern for Nylander even going back to the Montreal series in that he is a detriment defensively but he still remains a huge positive as long as he is scoring well.

These numbers are even worse for Nylander than I thought. He hasn't been anywhere close to the consistent impact all over the ice that Matthews and Marner have brought in the playoffs.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
These numbers are even worse for Nylander than I thought. He hasn't been anywhere close to the consistent impact all over the ice that Matthews and Marner have brought in the playoffs.
And remember that Matthews/ Marner face the top opposition.
But Nylander does have to play with Tavares, so there’s that.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And remember that Matthews/ Marner face the top opposition.
But Nylander does have to play with Tavares, so there’s that.

He has to play with Tavares who has better on ice goals for and against than Nylander though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad