Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I don't see another 13 game cold streak happening for Matthews again. Ever. That release, holy moly. He'd have had a had-trick against Montreal, too, if he hadn't touched that puck a second time before it went in. A victim of his own ridiculous hands. First touch was below the bar and it looked like it was going in anyway.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
By years end he'll be nicely in front of those guys.

Why are some Leafs fans so afraid to admit they have a GREAT player? Are they afriad they will get ripped by opposing fanbase's or something? Trying to be as negative as possible?

Matthews is easily a better all around player today than Patrick Kane ( I imagine someone will call me on this).

Because Kane has scored 100 points in the NHL... Matthews has never hit 70. Let him do it before you crown him. He would appreciate it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because Kane has scored 100 points in the NHL... Matthews has never hit 70. Let him do it before you crown him. He would appreciate it.

that poster said better allround player which he absolutely is, Patrick Kane is as one dimensional as phil kessel yet for some reason gets a pass for it while people shit on kessel.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Some people have to wait for a player to win something before they can throw accalades their way.

Others can see greatness and dont have to wait before they accomplish something.

This isnt "crowning" him.

We just saw Kane the other night. Even tho it wasnt his best game even when hes good he doesnt control the game ANYWHERE close to Matthews.

Vegas had Matthews with the 2nd best odds to win the MVP this season. This isnt just some Leafs insane bias or something.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

So like, one day he's isn't as good as Kane, and then one day he gets 100 points, and then he's as good as Kane?

Yeah that's not how it works.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't see another 13 game cold streak happening for Matthews again. Ever. That release, holy moly. He'd have had a had-trick against Montreal, too, if he hadn't touched that puck a second time before it went in. A victim of his own ridiculous hands. First touch was below the bar and it looked like it was going in anyway.

Well had that goal in regulation counted there would be no OT for Matthews to score. :)

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not that I ever want to have a full Laine vs Matthews thread, because I hate it! It is pretty entertaining over at the Winnipeg threads reading the amount of fanboys grasping at straws for the kid. They were so sure he would be dominating every single aspect of hockey, and he has not looked dominant at all. They literally thought he would do things no other player in history would do lol I just can't help but feel vindicated a bit, I do still think Laine is fantastic of course.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Not that I ever want to have a full Laine vs Matthews thread, because I hate it! It is pretty entertaining over at the Winnipeg threads reading the amount of fanboys grasping at straws for the kid. They were so sure he would be dominating every single aspect of hockey, and he has not looked dominant at all. They literally thought he would do things no other player in history would do lol I just can't help but feel vindicated a bit, I do still think Laine is fantastic of course.

They're both great players. The two players themselves would say there's no rivalry. They look like they're friends off the ice. It's just the media needing something to keep themselves busy to justify having a job.

I think it's best to let it all die, IMO.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
They're both great players. The two players themselves would say there's no rivalry. They look like they're friends off the ice. It's just the media needing something to keep themselves busy to justify having a job.

I think it's best to let it all die, IMO.

For sure, I don't disagree with you at all. I am speaking more to the fanboys and ignorant Jets fans. I agree it is not a rivalry, and is completely fabricated by the media. Most players are all buddies off the ice these days.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@SEER
We need some killer Matthews videos !
Anything with his last two goals against Montreal

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Some people have to wait for a player to win something before they can throw accalades their way.

Others can see greatness and dont have to wait before they accomplish something.

This isnt "crowning" him.

We just saw Kane the other night. Even tho it wasnt his best game even when hes good he doesnt control the game ANYWHERE close to Matthews.

Vegas had Matthews with the 2nd best odds to win the MVP this season. This isnt just some Leafs insane bias or something.

I get what your saying; but 31 points difference is a lot of offence to make up. It's an 82 game season, not 5.

Kane, is easily a much better playmaker then Matthews. He's a top 5 player in the NHL, and he's proven this with consistency.

I think Matthews can be better then Kane though, but I have to see it first and he's probably a year away. I make my opinions on larger same sizes personally.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I get what your saying; but 31 points difference is a lot of offence to make up. It's an 82 game season, not 5.

Kane, is easily a much better playmaker then Matthews. He's a top 5 player in the NHL, and he's proven this with consistency.

I think Matthews can be better then Kane though, but I have to see it first and he's probably a year away. I make my opinions on larger same sizes personally.

Kane is a better playmaker but hes pretty one dimensional. Matthews we've already seen be able to take over games with his motor and hounding of the puck. This trait is actually very similar to Crosby in that hes neither the most physical or strongest but when theres a puck in a area to be had and its a 1v1 spot Matthews almost always wins these fight for 50-50 pucks.

Matthews plays a MUCH more valuble position. The amount of defensive responsibilities and having to take faceoffs is such an important aspect from a franchise #1 C. If he can score but hes a total mess defensively and in the dot you might have a problem.

Matthews is a better goal scorer already. I dont even think this needs to be addressed.

Kane might/could put up more points in a game or season but he will never effect the overall game and in as many aspects as Matthews. Matthews is the type of do it all C's you win championships with (Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron) and to me that FAR outweighs a insanely talented winger.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kane is a puck-control heavy winger who loves to control the game along the perimeter and let his linemates do the dirty work down-low and on the boards for him. Now there's nothing wrong with this type of player, but you need specific linemates for this kind of player. With Matthews, he will get down low to hound the puck, start the cycle, be a bull in front of the net, and do everything in between. You don't need specific kinds of linemates for Matthews, he can do everything for a line.

This discrepancy in style makes Matthews a better/more valuable player. Kane has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie year by the way.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Kane is a puck-control heavy winger who loves to control the game along the perimeter and let his linemates do the dirty work down-low and on the boards for him. Now there's nothing wrong with this type of player, but you need specific linemates for this kind of player. With Matthews, he will get down low to hound the puck, start the cycle, be a bull in front of the net, and do everything in between. You don't need specific kinds of linemates for Matthews, he can do everything for a line.

This discrepancy in style makes Matthews a better/more valuable player. Kane has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie year by the way.

Well said.

Vancity2HFax

May 22, 2016
Canada
A year old quote from Don Granato (Auston's coach for 2 years with the US National Team Development Program) that I think is worth posting:

Granato has been privately telling people about how good Auston Matthews is for years. And not just good, but once-in-a-generation good, good enough to jump to the Swiss elite league last year and record 46 points in 36 games before being drafted first overall by the Leafs in June. In public, Granato’s comments have always been more circumspect. He didn’t want to heap pressure on Matthews by labelling him as “great” – even though he had no doubt that is exactly what he is destined to be.

Now there is no holding back.

“Auston has Sidney Crosby-type athletic pop and power — but he is also four inches taller,” says Granato. “So, now you have Crosby, but add in even more strength, and even more power, plus his hand-eye coordination is unbelievable.”

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...a-kid-won-over-long-suffering-maple-leaf-fans

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Iv
A year old quote from Don Granato (Auston's coach for 2 years with the US National Team Development Program) that I think is worth posting:

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...a-kid-won-over-long-suffering-maple-leaf-fans
Been preaching this for years. Nice to see Don saying it out loud. He has been singing praises of Matthews for years now. Matthews is quite possibly the greatest player to come from NTDP. I know I've never seen a more complete player at that age. The elite offensive skills are the cherry on top.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

This is why, I am very curious - why there seems to be a "yah, but." when you talk about Matthews being a "generational player" (and again - I think we use this term way too much and that we shouldn't be lauding anyone as generational. it should be applied after said player is away from the game and you can see the entire body of work. anyhoo).

like is it because he's American? (and basically all generational players for the most part have to be Canadian? unless your Ovy and you get a modified "generational goal scorer). Is it because he's playing for the Leafs? Like everyone who has coached him (and they've coached a lot of great hockey players) continue to say "this kid is nothing they've ever seen" and they throw out the G word - but everyone up here or in other places (ie; HFboards) will twist themselves into a knot declaring that this kid is not, in fact generational.

If being a generational player is just being dominant and better and bringing skills that no one else can - what does that make Matthews? like no one can truly pin point why type of player he plays like - where you can pretty much label any player with some sort of comparison (like I think a lot of people are circling on Beliveau though) He has the best hand-eye coordination i've ever seen, compared to his size and other skills...

and I know this will always circle back to McDavid and I've had someone flat out say we make him out to be generational,just because we "lost" MCDavid... but I don't know. there's seriously something about Matthews..

Reactions: hurricanematthews

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
The thing is Leaf fans had kind of resigned that we lost out on McDavid (the generational talent). No one was calling Matthews generational and we were content with that. But towards the latter half of the season and into the playoffs and into this season he flipped a switch that none of us expected.

I don't think anyone thought he was this good of a goal scorer, except for those that actually watched in in the Swiss league. What most of us thought we were getting was a 30 something goal scorer and probably an 70-80 something point getter, very similar to Mats. We never expected him to challenge McDavid but after watching him these games, if the shoe fits...

It's the fact that pre draft consensus is still forming people's opinions. A lot can change between now and game 82 but as of this moment, Matthews is the best player in hockey. And none of us saw it coming.

Reactions: hurricanematthews

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The thing is Leaf fans had kind of resigned that we lost out on McDavid (the generational talent). No one was calling Matthews generational and we were content with that. But towards the latter half of the season and into the playoffs and into this season he flipped a switch that none of us expected.

I'm pretty sure that switch got flipped before his first regular season NHL game...

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I don't think anyone thought he was this good of a goal scorer, except for those that actually watched in in the Swiss league. What most of us thought we were getting was a 30 something goal scorer and probably an 70-80 something point getter, very similar to Mats. We never expected him to challenge McDavid but after watching him these games, if the shoe fits...

It's the fact that pre draft consensus is still forming people's opinions. A lot can change between now and game 82 but as of this moment, Matthews is the best player in hockey. And none of us saw it coming.

Some people actually did see it tho.
Vegas had him with the 2nd best odds after McDavid to win this years MVP. People in the know who do this for a living knew just how good he already was and how good he was most likely going to develop into.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
His release is just unreal. Pulls off these laser beam wristers from outta nowhere.
Can see why goalies struggle with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad