Guentzel
Morrissey
Kempe
DeBrincat
Dobson
Thomas
Barzal
Eriksson Ek
That’s close to my list for the top 10 or so too except I’d have Makar and Draisaitl ahead of Matthews. I think Jack Hughes will be top 5 as early as next year and Bedard the year after that.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
the oilers have not won a cup with McDavid. Not even close.
The Oilers are lucky if they even get to the playoffs with McDavid. This is his ninth season and they've made the playoffs five times, and are in serious danger of missing again this season.
And even when they do get there, they're pretty likely to get swept out in four games (it's happened 40% of the time McDavid has actually made the playoffs).

Reactions: 34

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers are lucky if they even get to the playoffs with McDavid. This is his ninth season and they've made the playoffs five times, and are in serious danger of missing again this season.
And even when they do get there, they're pretty likely to get swept out in four games (it's happened 40% of the time McDavid has actually made the playoffs).
They will make the playoffs. I’d have them about the same level as the Leafs. Except of course they’ve had more playoff success as their star players come up big in the playoffs instead of disappearing.

Last edited:

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Everyone knows the Leafs have sucked in the playoffs. It's not like you're delivering some breaking news here.

It's just funny when everyone acts like McDavid is some playoff legend when
1) he is pretty likely to not even lead his team to the playoffs in what has been a laughably bad division (a little better this year) and
2) is pretty likely to get swept when he does get there.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Everyone knows the Leafs have sucked in the playoffs. It's not like you're delivering some breaking news here.

It's just funny when everyone acts like McDavid is some playoff legend when
1) he is pretty likely to not even lead his team to the playoffs in what has been a laughably bad division (a little better this year) and
2) is pretty likely to get swept when he does get there.
McDavid has played 49 games and has 75 points, including 29 goals. His playoff performance speaks for itself.
It’s lame to try to bring down one of the all time greats in order to pump up your own player when we all know that hockey is a team sport and McDavid can’t win it all by himself.

Reactions: Duke74

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
McDavid has played 49 games and has 75 points, including 29 goals. His playoff performance speaks for itself.
It’s lame to try to bring down one of the all time greats in order to pump up your own player when we all know that hockey is a team sport and McDavid can’t win it all by himself.
Nothing I said isn't true. And he's hardly "all by himself". Draisaitl has gone absolutely bonkers in a couple playoffs and dragged the Oilers past the first round. McDavid has certainly had more help in the playoffs than Matthews has.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nothing I said isn't true. And he's hardly "all by himself". Draisaitl has gone absolutely bonkers in a couple playoffs and dragged the Oilers past the first round. McDavid has certainly had more help in the playoffs than Matthews has.
Good point! McDavid and Drai have both been amazing.
Matthews, Marner and Tavares: not so much.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Good point! McDavid and Drai have both been amazing.
Matthews, Marner and Tavares: not so much.
The fact of the matter is McDavid has gone beyond the fourth game of the playoffs three times in his career. I'm not taking anything away from him, he's obviously an all-time great. I would just like to see him have a little more playoff success to truly cement his legacy. I'm not sure why this is so controversial.
Here's hoping McDavid and Matthews meet in the finals this year. It would be great for hockey.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The fact of the matter is McDavid has gone beyond the fourth game of the playoffs three times in his career. I'm not taking anything away from him, he's obviously an all-time great. I would just like to see him have a little more playoff success to truly cement his legacy. I'm not sure why this is so controversial.
Here's hoping McDavid and Matthews meet in the finals this year. It would be great for hockey.
It’s controversial because he’s clearly elevated his play the last couple of years and is an elite proven playoff performer. His numbers speak for themselves. But if you want to go back to the earlier years when the Oilers had no depth just to prop up Matthews, then fill your boots.
But let’s stick to the topic at hand which is the ranking of Matthews. McDavid is the clear number one. Matthews needs to have similar dominant playoff performances to move up the rankings. If he can carry his team with historic type numbers like McDavid has done the last couple of years then he will move up the rankings. I don’t think this is controversial at all.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I bet the data is atleast more accurate than your limited observations
I disagree. The volume of garbage data around the league is substantial. Periodic viewing likely provides a better correlation to players’ actual contributions. For example, Matthews is a great goal scorer, and defensively responsible. We can see that on watching him play. We can also see he’s not a physical player, especially without the puck.

Mar 26, 2010
That is what I was saying.

Yeah that’s not what you said though lmfao
They have had no more success than the Leafs. There, that work for you.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
It’s controversial because he’s clearly elevated his play the last couple of years and is an elite proven playoff performer. His numbers speak for themselves. But if you want to go back to the earlier years when the Oilers had no depth just to prop up Matthews, then fill your boots.
But let’s stick to the topic at hand which is the ranking of Matthews. McDavid is the clear number one. Matthews needs to have similar dominant playoff performances to move up the rankings. If he can carry his team with historic type numbers like McDavid has done the last couple of years then he will move up the rankings. I don’t think this is controversial at all.
Look, if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, etc., he's gonna need to bring his team to the promised land. Matthews needs to do the same thing.

Everyone always craps on Matthews for his early playoff exits, but let's have a look. Matthews has completed seven seasons, so in their first seven seasons:

Matthews: 7 playoff appearances
McDavid: 4

Matthews: Advanced beyond the first round once
McDavid: Twice

If we're talking about team success, there's not really much here for either guy to brag about.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Look, if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, etc., he's gonna need to bring his team to the promised land. Matthews needs to do the same thing.

Everyone always craps on Matthews for his early playoff exits, but let's have a look. Matthews has completed seven seasons, so in their first seven seasons:

Matthews: 7 playoff appearances
McDavid: 4

Matthews: Advanced beyond the first round once
McDavid: Twice

If we're talking about team success, there's not really much here for either guy to brag about.
I already posted McDavids career playoff stats earlier. Not sure if you’re just being deliberately obtuse at this point but I don’t think you’d even find many Leaf fans who feel Matthews has been even close to as good as McDavid in the playoffs.
My last post as you clearly have an agenda.
This thread is about Matthews, not the clear number one player in the world.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

them missing the Playoffs half the time just makes it even funnier that they've managed to win 4x as many series as the Leafs have

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I can’t imagine the thought process that goes on behind chasing around leaf threads for years on end to be a resident contrarian, as a non leaf fan lol.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada

It’s nitpicking but again objectively false

• Haha
Reactions: 34

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I disagree. The volume of garbage data around the league is substantial. Periodic viewing likely provides a better correlation to players’ actual contributions. For example, Matthews is a great goal scorer, and defensively responsible. We can see that on watching him play. We can also see he’s not a physical player, especially without the puck

You’re literally proving my point. Matthews does hit a fair bit actually. Starting in the playoffs against Montreal he was hitting people all over the place and the stats reflected it. You also would have to watch every other player and count their hits to see how badly he would be overrated (or underrated) here if at all, which you obviously don’t do.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

imagine what this forum would be like if Matthews carried the Leafs to the Conference finals

like....just picture what the same Leafs fans in here pretending like McDavid doing that is nothing would be saying :laugh:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
in here I figure the first thing you do with these polls is cut off both ends as the homers and haters cancel each other.
Mcd an obvious number 1
McK pretty good choice for number 2 and then the next 5 are open for debate in which I’d include matthews. I find him hard to rank cause when he’s hot he’s incredible

Reactions: lipstickjunkie

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I already posted McDavids career playoff stats earlier. Not sure if you’re just being deliberately obtuse at this point but I don’t think you’d even find many Leaf fans who feel Matthews has been even close to as good as McDavid in the playoffs.
My last post as you clearly have an agenda.
This thread is about Matthews, not the clear number one player in the world.
Nobody is saying McDavid isn't #1 (at least I'm not). I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to follow. All I'm saying is there are clearly two sets of rules. Everyone uses lack of team success to drag Matthews down in this ranking, yet McDavid, whose team has also accomplished NOTHING, gets a free pass.

Either we're talking about individual accomplishments, or team success. You can't have it both ways. If it's individual accomplishments, then it's really hard to not have Matthews #2, behind McDavid. If it's team success, then there are plenty of guys you can put ahead of both.

And for someone who is so desperate to stop talking about McDavid, you sure like to keep the discussion going, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad