Auston Matthews current rank among NHLers

Auston Matthews is a top _ best player

• Total voters

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Have you watched Nylander play this season?
He's, at his absolute best, kind of doing stuff Drai has been doing for a long time. One season (that is far from finished) doesn't erase the past few years for players around that age. And I say that as someone who believes Drai to be overrated.

So it's mostly just contractual stuff - Nylander is much cheaper obviously, but only until the end of the season. He picked a good season to grow his value.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
lol ok.

I am going to be totally honest with you, McDavid has been very average this season as well. What does he have like 14 goals? Neither of those two have looked very good, This season to be fair. I’m still giving McDavid the number one spot due to him being McDavid. As far as Drai concerned, not impressive at all.
Drai and McDavid are 3 and 4 all time in playoff ppg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He deserves it.

McDavid and the Oilers have had no more success in the playoffs than Matthews and the Leafs. neither team has done anything in the post season.
Last I checked the third round is better than the 2nd round (a place the Oilers have also been to 3 times instead of 1).

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Look, if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, etc., he's gonna need to bring his team to the promised land. Matthews needs to do the same thing.

Everyone always craps on Matthews for his early playoff exits, but let's have a look. Matthews has completed seven seasons, so in their first seven seasons:

Matthews: 7 playoff appearances
McDavid: 4

Matthews: Advanced beyond the first round once
McDavid: Twice

If we're talking about team success, there's not really much here for either guy to brag about.
McDavid has done it three times.

WOW! The second round! That's pretty much as good as a cup, right?
According to Leafs fans reactions after doing it for the first time in almost two decades and the first time of Matthews career? Yes.

Mar 26, 2010
What does that make Matthews last season then?
he did not have a good season. Everyone knows this with the wrist surgery. Only had 40 goals. That was last season though. This season he is back on route to his 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons. Best goal scorer in the business.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
he did not have a good season. Everyone knows this with the wrist surgery. Only had 40 goals. That was last season though. This season he is back on route to his 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons. Best goal scorer in the business.
Best goal scorer of this generation. Pretty crazy the numbers he puts up.

Reactions: 34

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
lol ok.

I am going to be totally honest with you, McDavid has been very average this season as well. What does he have like 14 goals? Neither of those two have looked very good, This season to be fair. I’m still giving McDavid the number one spot due to him being McDavid. As far as Drai concerned, not impressive at all.
I agree that Draisaitl's having a terrible season. Not sure if it's injury-related or something else going on.

But everyone has bad seasons. Matthews had one last year, so you should understand.

Based on this year alone, and only this year, without considering the past five years, Draisaitl is barely a top-25 forward if even that. But looking over the last 6-7 years, he's a Top 5 forward, Top 10 at worst.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No one is a goal per game player in the NHL for very long.

Yea, Matthews gets a bit of the Karlsson treatment from some of his biggest fans where periods of his best play are focused on and anything lesser gets ignored and dismissed by injuries. He’s a goal a game player at his best but not every lesser period can be washed away as injuries. No one’s 100% all the time

Mar 26, 2010
I agree that Draisaitl's having a terrible season. Not sure if it's injury-related or something else going on.

But everyone has bad seasons. Matthews had one last year, so you should understand.

Based on this year alone, and only this year, without considering the past five years, Draisaitl is barely a top-25 forward if even that. But looking over the last 6-7 years, he's a Top 5 forward, Top 10 at worst.
For sure, Matthews had a bad season last year. He knows it, we all know it. Drai is having that this season this year so far.

There is no question that McDavid has the #1 spot on lock. there have been times in their careers that both Draisaitl and Matthews have been the clearcut #2. they both have that pedigree.

Reactions: Duke74

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018

Can you imagine being in on pace for a 96 point season so far and people are saying you have been terrible this season.

Reactions: klefbombs shoulder

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
The Drai disrespect is crazy. He has 36 games with a 96 point pace and suddenly he is washed in many peoples eyes...

Over the last 6 seasons, including this one, he is averaging a 50 goal, 117 point pace. In that time he is also possibly the best playoff performer in the world with a 57 goal, 139 point pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad