Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Glad to see this is a positive thread. I don't like certain teams but I like all talented players and hope they do well. We're hockey fans first I hope. Everyone should want to see this guy get the most goals in a generation.

Agree
I F ing hate the Leafs, him, the color blue - all of it.

But I can't deny the guy is one he'll of a sniper

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Barring injuries, getting to 60 is essentially a lock (15 goals in 30 games). 70 will require more effort, 25 goals in the remaining 30 games

It's crazy how dominant he was a few years ago goal scoring wise and he has somehow become better since then. Who knows what his ceiling is

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Was last year, especially for the Lightning. :popcorn:
funnyguy.gif

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Honest question I know Centre is the glorified position but considering his nose for net have they ever tried to move him to wing? I mean say he doesn't have to worry about the centre's defensive ability then would he be even more dangerous?

I mean your paying him to score anyway why not give him even more opportunity to do exactly that then?
I mean why when he’s pretty good at all the stuff centres do….

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
This guy is an insanely good goal scorer. To be this good he must have practiced all day every day.. add in natural talent and the guy is disgusting.

He picks spots like Ovechkin did in his prime.

Ive also noticed by watching him, he is very strong on the puck and really good at stealing the puck from other players.

Been a longggg time since I seen a player be able to find little openings game after game after game.

Leafs would be a fun team to watch if they had some defense. Man they are atrocious in that area and leave their goalie out to dry like crazy.

I enjoy watching Mathews way more than McDavid.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
He's on track to be the best American player ever and have a real shot at the Gretzky (Ovechkin?) goals record. These are facts.
He’s also only 38% of the way there, in one of the highest scoring time periods in NHL history, with an injury history.

For comparison, Mike Bossy had 573 goals in 752 games. I think they are similar level goal scorers.

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He’s also only 38% of the way there, in one of the highest scoring time periods in NHL history, with an injury history.

For comparison, Mike Bossy had 573 goals in 752 games. I think they are similar level goal scorers.

This is quite the stretch. Goals per game this year are currently 39th in seasons. All the players he's being compared to (including Bossy just like you did) are from higher scoring eras. The 80's were the highest scoring era of NHL history.

1981-82 was the highest scoring era since the 40's and 6th highest scoring season all time. The entire top 20 highest scoring seasons is all the 80's.

Surprisingly though, even in that era, Bossy never scored 70 in his career which is what makes it such an extraordinary feat.

70 goals has always been rare, 70+ goals in this era I thought would never been done.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
This is quite the stretch. Goals per game this year are currently 39th in seasons. All the players he's being compared to (including Bossy just like you did) are from higher scoring eras. The 80's were the highest scoring era of NHL history.

1981-82 was the highest scoring era since the 40's and 6th highest scoring season all time. The entire top 20 highest scoring seasons is all the 80's.

Surprisingly though, even in that era, Bossy never scored 70 in his career which is what makes it such an extraordinary feat.

70 goals has always been rare, 70+ goals in this era I thought would never been done.
The last time scoring was this high consistently was the early to mid 90s. It’s gone up ~15% since OV nearly got 70 in 2008. I never tried to claim it was historically higher than the 80s. It’s just definitely higher than average.

Impressive goal scorer, without a doubt. A modern day Brett Hull.
His release definitely reminds me a lot of Brett Hull, or even pre-injury Stamkos. The way he gets to his spots and handles the puck down low in tight spaces always reminded me of prime Tavares a little bit.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The last time scoring was this high consistently was the early to mid 90s. It’s gone up ~15% since OV nearly got 70 in 2008. I never tried to claim it was historically higher than the 80s. It’s just definitely higher than average.

It's around average in league history. Around the mid-point. This year is lower scoring than last year so far.

Statistically, Matthews is nearing the greatest even-strength goal scorers of all time. This is his 5th season leading the league in even-strength goals, the record is 6.

Matthews is disadvantaged by playing on a team that gets among the least powerplays every single season. Since Matthews entered the league, the Maple Leafs are 27th in PP opportunities/GP.

Ovechkin played in a lower scoring season than this one, yes, but he got way more PP time by playing on the team that got way more PP's + he plays more ice time on the PP than most other players did.

Ovechkin played 5:37 PP time per game in 07-08 when he scored 65.
Matthews plays 3:14 PP time per game this season.

So yes, higher scoring league than 07-08 but Ovechkin played 2 more mins every game on the PP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad