AUS 2015-16 Regular Season Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STU with their first win over SMU in what has to be close to a decade. I think the last time they beat them was when they eliminated the Huskies from the 2006-2007 playoffs.

Was at the game tonight. Tommies weathered the early storm. Huskies are still missing a few key players due to injury. Teichmann was solid in net for the second straight game. Latina scored the Tommies only goal and the shootout winner.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I made the long trek from Sin City to Le Nid d'Aigle to watch Acadia tonight and SMU tomorrow night. Good tilt with the Axemen coming out with a 4-3 win after being down 3-1. Lots of flow in this game. Physical without being overly dirty. Acadia had the edge in play for most of the game but lacked finish until the 3rd period.

The SMU-STU score took me by surprise. Hopefully SMU was saving themselves for Saturday else they may be in for a rough surprise.

Decisive win by Dal and 3rd loss in a row for the Red Army.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was reading the boxscore from the Acadia - Dal game on Friday night. Over 130 min in penalties. Giftopolous with a match. Going to have to check this one out on the archives.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
End of the first half. Not many would have expected that UNB (3rd) and SMU (5th) would be where they are in the standing. Both teams have been hit hard by the injury bug and I fully expect them to be up a couple of spots in the division before the end of the second half. Wouldn't surprise me if Acadia hangs out to first. X is tough but I think the VReds will pass them for at least second. Don't think the Panthers will be able to hang on to fourth.

Unfortunately we once again know what two teams will be missing the playoffs.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
(Apologies for posting in multiple threads!)

Here's an Oral History of the 1995-96 Waterloo Warriors Queen's Cup championship team that I wrote ahead of Waterloo's annual alumni weekend:

www.gowarriorsgo.ca/oralhistory

The Warriors are commemorating the 20th anniversary of that team, and they also honoured All-Canadian John Wynne, who was named CIAU player of the year in 1995-96.

The Warriors went on a run of 20 wins in 21 games that season, until they ran into Acadia in the University Cup final. Thought this story might bring back some memories of that Axemen team for watchers of this thread.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
CIS bound

So, where will former Kitchener Rangers defenseman (NHL draft pick) Max Iafrate end up?
Played 3 games for the AHL's Providence Bruins in 2015 and was rumoured to be AUS bound.
If it's an AUS team, who could be the frontrunner?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
(Apologies for posting in multiple threads!)

Here's an Oral History of the 1995-96 Waterloo Warriors Queen's Cup championship team that I wrote ahead of Waterloo's annual alumni weekend:

www.gowarriorsgo.ca/oralhistory

The Warriors are commemorating the 20th anniversary of that team, and they also honoured All-Canadian John Wynne, who was named CIAU player of the year in 1995-96.

The Warriors went on a run of 20 wins in 21 games that season, until they ran into Acadia in the University Cup final. Thought this story might bring back some memories of that Axemen team for watchers of this thread.

Really good read...good job Adam.

Last edited:

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
CIS bound
So, where will former Kitchener Rangers defenseman (NHL draft pick) Max Iafrate end up?
Played 3 games for the AHL's Providence Bruins in 2015 and was rumoured to be AUS bound.
If it's an AUS team, who could be the frontrunner?

Stfx

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought X was maxed out roster cap-wise, but it looks like they still have one spot as Garret Holmes hasn't played yet this year (or last year for that matter).

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Roster Cap

I am opening up a can of worms, but it's time to discuss the cap again.
There was a recent article in the Halifax Chronical Herald that talked about the the Huskies first half results. Injuries have been a big factor in the slow start for SMU and this team played many games with a short bench, both taxing on players and dangerous.
STU is another team that has played too many games with a short bench.
It needs to be changed! The same thing happened to several AUS teams last year.
The OUA and CanadaWest don't have it, so why the AUS?
No question, It was put in place to slow down UNB's recruiting process, but it has effected some teams ability to ice a competitive roster on many nights.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It is dangerous....they're trying to crack down on hits to the head and the like the last few years and making the players safer, but forcing teams to play with only 14-15 skaters some nights goes entirely against that philosophy.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It was a ridiculous rule to begin with. It was based on the bitterness of other teams in the AUS. Can West doesn't have a cap and Alberta is far more dominant than UNB has been.

Anyway I don't think the cap is going away but hopefully we can have a compromise. Like extending it to 24 players.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Full disclosure: I like Gardiner as a person and admire his success rate in both the AUS and CIS. I enjoyed the time spent with him in Torino and will always seek him out whenever the V-Reds are in town, but I also try to be objective in my postings regardless of my team loyalties.

I tend to agree a bit with Rob, but will say that the bitterness was in large part due to UNB recruiting top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen and having them sit out games due to being overloaded with talent. The reason these players were recruited was so that no other AUS team could get them. That to me goes against the concept of "fair play". I realize that these players are not forced to go UNB, but they are enticed to go there. They are attracted by the chance to go to the Nationals, golf memberships at Kingswood and to watch the Saint John river flood every spring. :) Hosting the Nationals every six years or less also helps UNB recruit. I don't begrudge them hosting because they do a great job with the event.

Whether you like it or not, Gardiners "win at all cost" mentality has resulted in him being not very well respected by a lot of AUS coaches. The stunt he tried to pull last year for the FISU team only served to emphasize his disregard for the rules and protocols in place in the AUS.

Just my point of view.....

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I don't think the FISU games were last year, first of all.

Also, the top 6 forwards and top 4 defencemen at UNB that sometimes sat in the stands were not recruited solely to keep them away from other AUS teams. They were recruited to compete for playing time on very strong UNB teams and to provide depth for players unable to play because of illness and injuries.

Those very strong UNB teams did a great deal to raise the image of the AUS as a power in CIS hockey much the same way the CAP rule has helped to diminish its image at Nationals the last couple of years.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Roster cap

I thinks raising the cap to 24, would make sense. SMU should not have been playing short handed for an entire first half. A couple of extra players may have made a big difference in the standings. If they don't host Nationals, this could have really effected their chances of getting out of the AUS.
So, let's say SMU is in the same shape (injury wise) come time for the Nationals, then it's a big issue for me.
Since the cap doesn't exist at Nationals, an AUS team could add a player. The problem is that a player added after Jan 1'st would have to play a certain amount of exhibition games? is it 3 or 4?
If the roster is capped out, this player could be added at Nationals, or am I wrong?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't think the FISU games were last year, first of all.

Also, the top 6 forwards and top 4 defencemen at UNB that sometimes sat in the stands were not recruited solely to keep them away from other AUS teams. They were recruited to compete for playing time on very strong UNB teams and to provide depth for players unable to play because of illness and injuries.

Those very strong UNB teams did a great deal to raise the image of the AUS as a power in CIS hockey much the same way the CAP rule has helped to diminish its image at Nationals the last couple of years.

Would it make you feel better if I said "last FISU games"? Any another team in any other league does not have top players sitting out on a rotational basis. NHL teams cannot afford to have 6 million dollar guys as healthy scratches because of their cap. Major Junior, Junior A and NCAA are the same. At the CIS level you are capped by the number of ACA's you can have. Looking back before the cap, UNB was the only team in the AUS who were able to have good CHL players charting face-offs. A couple of years ago, 2 or 3 "decent" UNB players left the team after 2 seasons, I'm guessing over ice time. Ben Duffy moved on when he felt he was misled when he went there in the 2nd half, even though I explained to his dad that UNB could only play one of Duffy or Hally. I can't pin that one on UNB, because I don't know what transpired, but I do believe that Hally contacted UNB months earlier than Ben and was therefore higher up the food chain. How's that for being objective?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So, let's say SMU is in the same shape (injury wise) come time for the Nationals, then it's a big issue for me.
Since the cap doesn't exist at Nationals, an AUS team could add a player. The problem is that a player added after Jan 1'st would have to play a certain amount of exhibition games? is it 3 or 4?
If the roster is capped out, this player could be added at Nationals, or am I wrong?

I believe it's 4 games. in the Duffy half year the UNB plan was to play against a senior team or two had they won the AUS in order to qualify Duffy. Acadia won the AUS so it didn't happen.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
AUS Fan, I think having the wrong year for the last FISU games detracts from the point you are trying to make just like when you say that the extra top UNB forwards and defence were recruited solely to keep them away from other AUS teams. Also some of the players that left after 2 years might have left because of academics or recurring health problems.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
This is really only a recent issue/trend.

In 2007/08, Chris Hodgson and Tyler Dietrich were the odd guys out. Chris was an impact player, but not a top 6 forward. Tyler came from UBC and played the one season. He wanted more ice-time and left for STU.

In 2008/09, Luke Lynes & Justin McCutcheon were the only two with didn't play the entire season. In both cases they were utility players with a scoring upside for Luke. He never played a complete season, some due to other players coming in but also because of injuries.

A lot of UNB players played less than 20 games in 2009/10, but most were the result of injuries and were mainstay players (not players they wanted to 'keep away' from others); Alex Aldred, Spencer Corcoran, Jonathan Harty, Josh Hepditch, Chris Hodgson, Luke Lynes, Taylor Procyshen & Ben Wright. Alex and Spencer were extra D after Ben came in at Christmas. Tyler was out with a concussion for half the season. Josh was a swing man for D and forward and Chris and Luke swapped spots on the 3rd/4th lines.

Only six(6) players had less than 20 games in 2010/11; Marc-A Desnoyers (came in at Xmas), Luke Gallant (injured), Matias Keranen (utility forward), Luke Lynes, Steve Pearce (utility DMan), Taylor Procyshen (concussion), Daine Todd (shoulder).

The only player over these four(4) seasons who you could argue could have been a top-6 forward somewhere else is Luke Lynes. He did go onto Waterloo and played 24 games with 6G+6A, but 12pts isn't a top-6 forward. He was 8th in team scoring and the 4th lowest Center.

In 2011/12 season is the one that proponents focus on. There are ten(10) players with less than 20 games; Jordan Clendenning (knee), Spencer Corcoran (7th defenceman), Chad Denny (Xmas start), Josh Kidd (concussion), Jeff Lee (injured), Luke Lynes (injured/utility), Stefan Salituro (utility), Ben Shutron (injured), Shayne Wiebe (Xmas), Ben Wright (injured), Geordie Wudrick (Xmas).

At the time, only Salituro could be considered a top-6 forward 'out of the line-up' as Shayne and Geordie played all the games after Christmas they could. The accepted rumor is Geordie didn't play and was lured to UNB to keep him away from other AUS teams - he played every game (but on the 3rd line). It did put Salituro & Lynes on the outside, but Lynes was injured for some of that time. Also, Salituro was a walk-on, he wasn't recruited.

In 2012/13, Wudrick leaves after Christmas, upset at with limited ice-time while Tim Priamo arrived to shore-up the D (Robertson, Kidd and Wright had all been injured at different times and Spencer Corcoran had not returned UNB this season). This results in a backlash that Wudrick could have been utilized by other teams in the league in a top-6 position. Possibly, but looking at his stats from UBC and that he was only there for half a season - not sure he would have stayed with any team for very long. As such, the argument that UNB horded him is a bit lame. With Wudrick gone, Salituro stepped in and played 18 games with 9pts.

2013/14 is the first year of the cap. UNB recruits Keevin Cutting, Shea Kewin, JP Labardo, Cameron Maclise, Philippe Halley, Philippe Maillet, Jordan Murray, Matt Petgrave, Mike Thomas & Ben Duffy. Halley shows up before Duffy and gets the last card. Duffy ends-up transferring to SMU over the Summer. Maclise wanted more ice-time (used on the 4th line) and leaves for MRU at the end of the season, Labardo upset with limited ice, leaves after Xmas for Ryerson but ends up in the ECHL. Cutting leaves over the summer due to personality conflicts with the coaching staff for Ryerson and Thomas leaves for Humber College (fire fighter). Without a cap, Duffy plays for Labardo and no one is in the stands.

Salituro could have been a 'diamond in the rough' and could have been utilized more, but he didn't seem to mined. He did graduate and went to Western where gets 16 & 29pts in his two seasons (his 29pts was 2nd best on the team and would have been 2nd on UNB as well - a team that won it's 5th national title).

So, to focus solely on Wudrick, Salituro and Lynes as the 'top-6' talent that was sitting and being horded by UNB is a bit of a stretch.

I have to say it certainly makes recruiting harder - a) do you go all-out in the Summer and not look to add at Xmas or b) get some now and hold onto a card or two for Xmas. In UNB's case, they certainly need another DMan, but what if a sniper shows interest? Do you ask Thomas or Braes to wait for next year.

In the end, regardless of your feelings for Gardiner - no other conference is doing it, so why handicap the AUS. I'd like to see the limit increased to 23.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
This is really only a recent issue/trend.

In 2007/08, Chris Hodgson and Tyler Dietrich were the odd guys out. Chris was an impact player, but not a top 6 forward. Tyler came from UBC and played the one season. He wanted more ice-time and left for STU.

In 2008/09, Luke Lynes & Justin McCutcheon were the only two with didn't play the entire season. In both cases they were utility players with a scoring upside for Luke. He never played a complete season, some due to other players coming in but also because of injuries.

A lot of UNB players played less than 20 games in 2009/10, but most were the result of injuries and were mainstay players (not players they wanted to 'keep away' from others); Alex Aldred, Spencer Corcoran, Jonathan Harty, Josh Hepditch, Chris Hodgson, Luke Lynes, Taylor Procyshen & Ben Wright. Alex and Spencer were extra D after Ben came in at Christmas. Tyler was out with a concussion for half the season. Josh was a swing man for D and forward and Chris and Luke swapped spots on the 3rd/4th lines.

Only six(6) players had less than 20 games in 2010/11; Marc-A Desnoyers (came in at Xmas), Luke Gallant (injured), Matias Keranen (utility forward), Luke Lynes, Steve Pearce (utility DMan), Taylor Procyshen (concussion), Daine Todd (shoulder).

The only player over these four(4) seasons who you could argue could have been a top-6 forward somewhere else is Luke Lynes. He did go onto Waterloo and played 24 games with 6G+6A, but 12pts isn't a top-6 forward. He was 8th in team scoring and the 4th lowest Center.

In 2011/12 season is the one that proponents focus on. There are ten(10) players with less than 20 games; Jordan Clendenning (knee), Spencer Corcoran (7th defenceman), Chad Denny (Xmas start), Josh Kidd (concussion), Jeff Lee (injured), Luke Lynes (injured/utility), Stefan Salituro (utility), Ben Shutron (injured), Shayne Wiebe (Xmas), Ben Wright (injured), Geordie Wudrick (Xmas).

At the time, only Salituro could be considered a top-6 forward 'out of the line-up' as Shayne and Geordie played all the games after Christmas they could. The accepted rumor is Geordie didn't play and was lured to UNB to keep him away from other AUS teams - he played every game (but on the 3rd line). It did put Salituro & Lynes on the outside, but Lynes was injured for some of that time. Also, Salituro was a walk-on, he wasn't recruited.

In 2012/13, Wudrick leaves after Christmas, upset at with limited ice-time while Tim Priamo arrived to shore-up the D (Robertson, Kidd and Wright had all been injured at different times and Spencer Corcoran had not returned UNB this season). This results in a backlash that Wudrick could have been utilized by other teams in the league in a top-6 position. Possibly, but looking at his stats from UBC and that he was only there for half a season - not sure he would have stayed with any team for very long. As such, the argument that UNB horded him is a bit lame. With Wudrick gone, Salituro stepped in and played 18 games with 9pts.

2013/14 is the first year of the cap. UNB recruits Keevin Cutting, Shea Kewin, JP Labardo, Cameron Maclise, Philippe Halley, Philippe Maillet, Jordan Murray, Matt Petgrave, Mike Thomas & Ben Duffy. Halley shows up before Duffy and gets the last card. Duffy ends-up transferring to SMU over the Summer. Maclise wanted more ice-time (used on the 4th line) and leaves for MRU at the end of the season, Labardo upset with limited ice, leaves after Xmas for Ryerson but ends up in the ECHL. Cutting leaves over the summer due to personality conflicts with the coaching staff for Ryerson and Thomas leaves for Humber College (fire fighter). Without a cap, Duffy plays for Labardo and no one is in the stands.

Salituro could have been a 'diamond in the rough' and could have been utilized more, but he didn't seem to mined. He did graduate and went to Western where gets 16 & 29pts in his two seasons (his 29pts was 2nd best on the team and would have been 2nd on UNB as well - a team that won it's 5th national title).

So, to focus solely on Wudrick, Salituro and Lynes as the 'top-6' talent that was sitting and being horded by UNB is a bit of a stretch.

I have to say it certainly makes recruiting harder - a) do you go all-out in the Summer and not look to add at Xmas or b) get some now and hold onto a card or two for Xmas. In UNB's case, they certainly need another DMan, but what if a sniper shows interest? Do you ask Thomas or Braes to wait for next year.

In the end, regardless of your feelings for Gardiner - no other conference is doing it, so why handicap the AUS. I'd like to see the limit increased to 23.

And you have to remember Kyle Bailey came back for his 5th and final season in 2011-12, which at the time I believe no one expected. I also think that both Wudrick and Wiebe were heavily recruited by UNB over the summer with the expectation Bailey was not returning.

So, Bailey changes his mind and returns to UNB and both Wudrick and Wiebe decide to show up at Xmas. What was Gardiner to do, turn them away?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Excellent reply from Drummer; thanks for doing the research. However, perception sometimes becomes reality or perhaps reality gets diminished in the eyes of the believers. Either way, the deed is done. Even the most ardent UNB supporter should see that "something" must have swayed the other Athletic Directors to bring this rule in. They can't all be dummies. You've presented some good facts but I'm sure there may be a bit of "spin" as well because you wish to defend the team, and I respect that.
Despite what some may think, I don't just pull stuff from some orifice. I do talk to coaches, including UNB coaches and a couple of AD's. There have been times where I could have posted things that were not widely known by the hockey community. Instead, I choose to discuss these offline with 'Foyle or on occasion with a couple of your newspaper types. I'm NOT Bob McKenzie, but every now and then I do come up with a scoop.
Notwithstanding anything I have written, I'll still be looking forward to seeing the Red Army when they're in Halifax next month and will spend time with Gardner during warm-up discussing his team and others as I have done for a number of years. That's what I do. I'm an AUS Fan.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Excellent reply from Drummer; thanks for doing the research. However, perception sometimes becomes reality or perhaps reality gets diminished in the eyes of the believers.

Absolutely - perception is reality. Many must have felt there was no need for UNB to get Wudrick given all of the talent they had at the time (also, to use him as sparingly as they did on the 3rd line didn't help). A case of the rich getting unnecessary richer to the point it looks like 'a waste of talent'.

I believe this is the sore spot that planted the seed for the cap.

Interesting to note that it didn't do UNB any good in the end. Wiebe hurts his ankle a few days before Nationals, Wudrick under performs and a hot Western goalie all conspire to leave UNB wondering how it all fell apart.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Good start to Iafrate's AUS career. 2 for checking to the head, 10 minute misconduct, 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, game misconduct, and the accompanying suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad