AUS 2015-16 Regular Season Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The UPEI hockey website and UPEI Alumni twitter are both showing a 3-1 Harvard win...but seems odd that there is nothing else mentioned anywhere else or even any info available. Not only that...I thought NCAA teams could only have one exhibition game? Would Harvard even be allowed to play both UPEI and UNB?

Here is the alumni twitter...https://twitter.com/UPEIAlumni

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The UPEI hockey website and UPEI Alumni twitter are both showing a 3-1 Harvard win...but seems odd that there is nothing else mentioned anywhere else or even any info available. Not only that...I thought NCAA teams could only have one exhibition game? Would Harvard even be allowed to play both UPEI and UNB?

You are correct. Something strange on UPEI twitter end. I double-checked USCHO.com schedule.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I think I found the source of the confusion. During the webcast Saturday night, the broadcasters said that Harvard had played a "closed door scrimmage" on Friday night, and I thought they said it was against Brown. If so, they were mistaken, as it was against UPEI. By calling the match a "scrimmage" it doesn't count as an official exhibition game. This is from the new Harvard thread on the fan forum on USCHO:

Friday night there was a exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island. I think the game was officially a scrimmage but score was kept, game had the usual two refs and two linesmen. Harvard won 3-1. The team looked good and passing seemed quicker and cleaner than we have seen for a while. One item of interest; Katie Guay, an experienced ECAC ref of women's games was on the ice for this game. I think this is the first time a woman ref officiated at a men's game at Bright.

Scrimmages don't show up on official schedules. Also, any fallout from penalties don't carry over. According to one of the broadcasters, there was limited hitting. Kind of a shifty (or smart?) move by Harvard to get an extra exhibition game in versus a CIS team.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 3 UNB 2 (shootout) - Brandon Glover had a stellar game in nets for the Axemen with 41 saves. VReds dominated the fist period with 18 shots but it evened out over the last 2 and a half periods. Franco with the shootout winner.

STFX 5 STU 3 - Well the Tommies scored three which is the most they've scored all season. Hope gets his first win in goal for X. Teichmann the loss

Moncton 4 Dal 2 - Thibeau starts again for Les Aigles and gets the win. Boes the loss.

SMU 4 UPEI 2 - Marc Terriault gets his first win for the Huskies. Parks the loss.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The big news announced today was that UNB has secured the bid to host the 2017 and 2018 Nationals.

http://atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/mice/2015-16/releases/20151030ko4ce8

I have to admit that I was surprised at the announcement. I thought for sure that Toronto would win the bid. While we don't know the details behind the Toronto bid my guess is that UNB was just considered a safer selection. Even though Toronto is a huge market they may have ended up drawing less than Fredericton due to the lack of popularity of CIS hockey and the fact that UofT was probably going to lose their first game whomever they faced.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The big news announced today was that UNB has secured the bid to host the 2017 and 2018 Nationals.

http://atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/mice/2015-16/releases/20151030ko4ce8

I have to admit that I was surprised at the announcement. I thought for sure that Toronto would win the bid. While we don't know the details behind the Toronto bid my guess is that UNB was just considered a safer selection. Even though Toronto is a huge market they may have ended up drawing less than Fredericton due to the lack of popularity of CIS hockey and the fact that UofT was probably going to lose their first game whomever they faced.

This disappointed me. For these reasons:

1. It is the OUA's turn.

2. The U-Cup can promote the sport in areas where it does not draw.

3. It is easy to get a last minute flight to Toronto and make a reasonably affordable weekend out of it.

4. UNB just recently hosted.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This disappointed me. For these reasons:

1. It is the OUA's turn.

2. The U-Cup can promote the sport in areas where it does not draw.

3. It is easy to get a last minute flight to Toronto and make a reasonably affordable weekend out of it.

4. UNB just recently hosted.

All fair points.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's no one's turn. The CIS will go where the money is. UNB has done a great job hosting in the past. I would have liked UofT to host, but......

Unless we can see the bids, there is no way of knowing which was the better. I would guess it was UNB.

I can't speak on the popularity of CIS hockey in Toronto, but I do know that attendance in Kitchener was abysmal. Mind you, that was 15 years ago. If the interest isn't there, no amount of marketing can change that.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So just looking at the AUS schedule and I noticed that UPEI/UNB is the only game next Saturday night. I would love to know the reason behind putting 4 games on Halloween night and only 1 game next Saturday night...why not do the opposite? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Mar 1, 2013
It's no one's turn. The CIS will go where the money is. UNB has done a great job hosting in the past. I would have liked UofT to host, but......

Unless we can see the bids, there is no way of knowing which was the better. I would guess it was UNB.

I can't speak on the popularity of CIS hockey in Toronto, but I do know that attendance in Kitchener was abysmal. Mind you, that was 15 years ago. If the interest isn't there, no amount of marketing can change that.

While CIS hockey isn't quite popular in Toronto, I still think a venue like Maple Leaf Gardens would draw people in for a big tournament like this. But Ryerson couldn't bid for both years because they have the CIS women's volleyball tournament in 2017. So the bottom line is U of T needed a joint bid with Ryerson to have any chance - with 2017 at Varsity Arena and 2018 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. Bidding on their own? Forget it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
While CIS hockey isn't quite popular in Toronto, I still think a venue like Maple Leaf Gardens would draw people in for a big tournament like this. But Ryerson couldn't bid for both years because they have the CIS women's volleyball tournament in 2017. So the bottom line is U of T needed a joint bid with Ryerson to have any chance - with 2017 at Varsity Arena and 2018 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. Bidding on their own? Forget it.

Well maybe 2019 - 2020 will be their time.

I was surprised that Edmonton didn't put in a bid.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I would love to see a bid by Ryerson to use Maple Leaf Gardens (MAC). I was there in 1997 for the last University Cup played in Toronto, between Guelph and UNB. Toronto would be a real weak sister if they went for a joint bid; they haven't been nationally competitive in quite some time.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to the Guardian, Carter Rigby has left UPEI after playing 5 games.

Does that mean the Panthers can't fill that spot for the rest of the year now? If so, that's a really bad break for them, especially with 3-4 guys already out tonight due to injuries.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to the Guardian, Carter Rigby has left UPEI after playing 5 games.

Does that mean the Panthers can't fill that spot for the rest of the year now? If so, that's a really bad break for them, especially with 3-4 guys already out tonight due to injuries.

Yup. Just like STU loses a player card spot because Trudeau bolted. And adding to the pain, they may have received AFA money as well.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 11 STU 2 - As bad a massacre as you will ever see in the CIS. The thing is that the VReds only outshot the Tommies 29-21. I hope the reporter covering the game asks coach Mcallister why he left Teichmann in there for the entire game.

Acadia 3 DAl 2 (ot) - Kyle Farrell with the winner 15 second into overtime. Tigers are certainly better than last season. Acadia stays in first place ties with Tommies.

UPEI 5 Moncton 3 - Big win for the Panthers as they keep pace with the Tigers for the last playoff spot.

STFX 4 SMU 1 - Looks like Owsley may have stolen this one for X with 40 saves.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Despite 40 shots, Owsley didn't have to make any big saves. He just let the puck hit him. SFX were the better team; SMU had no push back for most of the game. I was impressed with SFX.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Despite 40 shots, Owsley didn't have to make any big saves. He just let the puck hit him. SFX were the better team; SMU had no push back for most of the game. I was impressed with SFX.

I was very impressed with X as well when they played up here. In fact I thought they played better against UNB than Acadia did.

So one of Acadia, UNB or STFX is going to miss out on the nationals. Scary.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Interesting tidbit regarding the Axemen's rookie of the year candidate Kyle Farrell. He has 6 goals so far this season. 4 of them have come in overtime. Would be interested to find what the record is for a single season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Anyone else try to watch the STU/SMU webcast tonight?? Talk about annoying...that stupid Wirecast ad must have popped up at least once every 30 seconds. What a dumb idea.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interesting tidbit regarding the Axemen's rookie of the year candidate Kyle Farrell. He has 6 goals so far this season. 4 of them have come in overtime. Would be interested to find what the record is for a single season.

Not an OT goal tonight....but he scored late to break a 3-3 tie and give him his 5th GWG of the season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
STU with their first win over SMU in what has to be close to a decade. I think the last time they beat them was when they eliminated the Huskies from the 2006-2007 playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad