ATD2018 - Rank the Playoffs Formats

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Out of the options that have any chance here, I'd support #2 over #4, as the latter doesn't really give weaker teams the chance to experience any high-stakes debate against their direct peers. I think #4 will run pretty smoothly, but if we're tossing half the teams out after the regular season, we all be better be doing some Beatrice Kiddo level assassinating in the general thread.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Out of the options that have any chance here, I'd support #2 over #4, as the latter doesn't really give weaker teams the chance to experience any high-stakes debate against their direct peers. I think #4 will run pretty smoothly, but if we're tossing half the teams out after the regular season, we all be better be doing some Beatrice Kiddo level assassinating in the general thread.

This was my reasoning for supporting #2. How much would it suck for a new GM to be voted out of the game without having a chance to defend his team? I suppose we can encourage more vigorous comparisons in the single assassination thread, however.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If we are going with 4 (which it looks like), I certainly plan to compare my team to the other teams in my conference/division in the assassination thread.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If we are going with 4 (which it looks like), I certainly plan to compare my team to the other teams in my conference/division in the assassination thread.

So why go with #4 if you agree that a comparison with the other teams in your division is required? I really don't get the rationale for #4 over #2.

:dunno:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
So why go with #4 if you agree that a comparison with the other teams in your division is required? I really don't get the rationale for #4 over #2.

:dunno:

I voted for 2 over 4. Now, I dont think it would be 'required', but I do think 2 gives everybody a little more involvement.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So 2 and 4 are winning easily, with 4 winning over 2.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Going with the system 6pts for 1st place, 5pts for 2nd place and so on, we have:

4) 63 pts
2) 56 pts
5) 24 pts
6) 22 pts
3) 12 pts
1) 10 pts

edited for stoneberg

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
About the playoffs bracket, assuming 8 divisions of 3-4 teams where only the Top-2 will makes the playoffs, yielding 8 playoffs teams per conference, is everybody all right with doing "cross over" series, meaning the #2 seed in one division will face the #1 seed in another?

This is in order to avoid a "repetition" of what already occured in the regular season voting; if the #2 seed faces the #1 seed of his own division right off the bat, the result is very likely to be the same, with the #1 seed winning.If the same #2 seed faces the #1 seed of another division, things can change.

Of course, assuming say that the #1 and #2 seeds of the same division are the two best teams in a conference, they will meet again.But at least by this point the #2 seed had time to build momentum or fight through the field as much as it deserved.

Illustration of the first round:

Conference with divisions A, B, C and D.

#1(A) vs #2(C)
#1(B) vs #2(D)

#1(C) vs #2(B)
#1(D) vs #2(A)

What do you guys think?

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
About the playoffs bracket, assuming 8 divisions of 3-4 teams where only the Top-2 will makes the playoffs, yielding 8 playoffs teams per conference, is everybody all right with doing "cross over" series, meaning the #2 seed in one division will face the #1 seed in another?

This is in order to avoid a "repetition" of what already occured in the regular season voting; if the #2 seed faces the #1 seed of his own division right off the bat, the result is very likely to be the same, with the #1 seed winning.If the same #2 seed faces the #1 seed of another division, things can change.

Of course, assuming say that the #1 and #2 seeds of the same division are the two best teams in a conference, they will meet again.But at least by this point the #2 seed had time to build momentum or fight through the field as much as it deserved.

#1(A) vs #2(C)
#1(B) vs #2(D)

#1(C) vs #2(B)
#1(D) vs #2(A)

What do you guys think?

I like this.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So ignoring the other options, it is:

7 GMs prefer #4 over #2
8 GMs prefer #2 over #4

Namba 17

May 9, 2011

#1(A) vs #2(C)
#1(B) vs #2(D)

#1(C) vs #2(B)
#1(D) vs #2(A)

What do you guys think?
I like this.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think we can settle this right now and just go with option #2, which was prefered over option #4 by more GMs.Given how we have first-time participants and fewer teams than we thought, we should give everyone a chance at selling and defending their team.

If anyone is strongly in favor of 4 over 2 and disagrees with what I just said, speak up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad