ATD2018 - Rank the Playoffs Formats

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Rank these options (from best to worst):

1.Round Robin: You play a series against everyone in your division (but not at the same time).Then the Top-2 from each division makes the playoffs.[Divisions of 4 teams]

2.Teams from the same division make their case in a "divisional assassination thread".Then the Top-2 teams from each division make the playoffs.[Divisions of 4 teams]

3.Round Robin: You play a series against everyone in your division (simultaneously).Then the Top-2 from each division makes the playoffs.[Divisions of 4 teams]

4.The Top-2 teams from each division make the playoffs, where the Top-2 is determined by regular season voting.[Divisions of 4 teams]

5.Rank the conferences, Top-8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.[No division]

6.Every team makes the playoffs.Rank the divisions, then top seeds face lower seeds until a winner emerge from each division.Then the various winners compete in a small bracket.[Divisions of 4-6 teams]

If you see any mistake, please inform me.If you do not understand an option, ask in the thread or go check the ATD2018 Rules Discussion Thread where most of them were explained at lenght.​

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would like 8 divisions (of 4 teams ideally, but some could have 3 if we can't reach 32 teams) with 2 teams from each making the playoffs. Basically option 4.

But I also like separate regular season rivalary/assassination/whatever threads for each division.

So what do I put first? :D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
^ 2

I'll just put 4 teams per division for this option, since it makes the most sense.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm surprised at how consensual this is so far after all the discussions in the other thread.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I fail to see what the benefit of option #4 is over option #2. Unless I'm missing something, the only difference is that option #2 offers the possibility to discuss the divisions before you rank them while option #4 doesn't. Right?

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I fail to see what the benefit of option #4 is over option #2. Unless I'm missing something, the only difference is that option #2 offers the possibility to discuss the divisions before you rank them while option #4 doesn't. Right?

Yes.The benefit for me (I ranked 4 ahead of 2) is that I'm not terribly interested in focusing on my divisional rivals in a royal rumble thread.I prefer a league-wide assassination thread where people can assassinate who they want.

That said, the difference is small.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Yes.The benefit for me (I ranked 4 ahead of 2) is that I'm not terribly interested in focusing on my divisional rivals in a royal rumble thread.

But in a scenario where only 50% of the teams make the playoffs, wouldn't it be rather vital to have a focused comparison between the divisional rivals you will end up getting ranked against?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
But in a scenario where only 50% of the teams make the playoffs, wouldn't it be rather vital to have a focused comparison between the divisional rivals you will end up getting ranked against?

It's a gamble.You never know how strong your team will be before the draft starts.Or how strong your division will be.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Is anyone good with probabilities here? I hate that kind of math, but I want to know that assuming 24 teams total, with 6 divisions of 4 teams, given 5 teams, what is the probability that 3 or 4 of them will end up in the same division? Meaning, I think every year around 5 teams have a real shot at the title, and I want to know the probability that one (or two) of those teams will miss the playoffs if option 2) or 4) gets chosen.

I came up with 55/379 (or around 15% chance of a Top 5 team (or two) missing the playoffs) but it was so messy that I have little confidence in the number.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is anyone good with probabilities here? I hate that kind of math, but I want to know that assuming 24 teams total, with 6 divisions of 4 teams, given 5 teams, what is the probability that 3 or 4 of them will end up in the same division? Meaning, I think every year around 5 teams have a real shot at the title, and I want to know the probability that one (or two) of those teams will miss the playoffs if option 2) or 4) gets chosen.

I came up with 55/379 (or around 15% chance of a Top 5 team (or two) missing the playoffs) but it was so messy that I have little confidence in the number.

6 divisions of 4 teams is unworkable. How would you do the playoff bracket?

If we get 24 teams, just do 8 divisions of 3 teams. But hopefully, there are enough teams to have most of them have 4 teams at least.

It's not like all divisions are equally "filled" in real life.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

If we get 24 teams, just do 8 divisions of 3 teams. But hopefully, there are enough teams to have most of them have 4 teams at least.

It's not like all divisions are equally "filled" in real life.

Sure.I just used this example to get a general feeling of how likely a top team would miss the playoffs but you're right that 6 divisions of 4 teams will be hard to work with.I do feel that having divisions of 3 teams, and only one getting eliminated, is sorta distasteful, but at this point we go with what we have.I think people are overly optimistic about how many teams will sign up within the next 10 days, but I hope I'm wrong.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wrote "divisions of 4 teams" in most options, maybe it was premature.But it's hard to be precise when we don't know how many teams will sign-up, and on another front, I want to avoid the draft ending as late as last year so we have to move forward to hopefully start the draft Monday January 15th.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there are two options, depending on how many teams you want in the playoffs.

Playoff with 8 teams: The 6 division winners advance. The two #2 teams with the best record also advance.
Playoff with 16 teams: The top 2 from each division advance. The four #3 teams with the best record also advance.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there are two options, depending on how many teams you want in the playoffs.

Playoff with 8 teams: The 6 division winners advance. The two #2 teams with the best record also advance.
Playoff with 16 teams: The top 2 from each division advance. The four #3 teams with the best record also advance.

We can do that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad