ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I don't know what he means either, jarek, though it is possible I'm just getting senile.

I just don't understand why the scores need to be normalized. I think that's where I'm getting stuck. The benchmarks are all available. Why does some kind of normalization need to be made?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Or im guessing the average elite player scores around 70 adjusted ESP points per year and that instead of using 100 as a benchmark, HO found 70 to be more appropriate

That's correct. A player who reaches the yearly benchmark gets a score of 70, not 100. My reasoning was even-strength is only about 70% of total offense, so normalizing to 70 "looked about right" relative to normal/total VsX.

That being said, it's trivial for me to change the threshold to 100 (or any other number). If people feel strongly about this one way or another, let me know.

I just don't understand why the scores need to be normalized. I think that's where I'm getting stuck. The benchmarks are all available. Why does some kind of normalization need to be made?

I find it provides context. For example, I've always normalized goals to 50 (rather than 100, or some other number). Fifty goals was always an important milestone so having goals based on that felt right.

Before we get too hung up on any particular benchmark, remember that it's the relative rankings, not any specific number, that really matters. I could set the benchmark for everything to π (pi) and I don't think it would really change the usefulness of the system.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Liba-Hlinka-Nesterenko should do the job as a 4th line who can chip in some goals here and there while being competent defensively.

I also wanted to take some europeans, I try to do that every year, and for some reasons didn't have any this year before building my 4th line.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Read my post above where I explain why.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I find it provides context. For example, I've always normalized goals to 50 (rather than 100, or some other number). Fifty goals was always an important milestone so having goals based on that felt right.

Before we get too hung up on any particular benchmark, remember that it's the relative rankings, not any specific number, that really matters. I could set the benchmark for everything to π (pi) and I don't think it would really change the usefulness of the system.

Agreed completely.Playoff VsX should be normalized to 24 or 25 for the same reasons.And so on.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I also wanted to take some europeans, I try to do that every year, ...
I didn't try to, but I noticed that I drafted Chara, Hossa, Palffy... all Slovaks! :laugh:
Then I threw a Czech into the mix: Novy.
(Palffy scored a goal for Czechoslovakia in the '91 Canada Cup, so he can bunk with Novy).
Borovicka, the official drink of the Worcester Railers!

This team will take a lot of shots!

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I didn't try to, but I noticed that I drafted Chara, Hossa, Palffy... all Slovaks! :laugh:
Then I threw a Czech into the mix: Novy.
(Palffy scored a goal for Czechoslovakia in the '91 Canada Cup, so he can bunk with Novy).
Borovicka, the official drink of the Worcester Railers!

Breakdown of europeans on my teams, ignoring my rookie season:

2012: Elias, xxx.

2013: Kapustin, Balderis and Mikhailov in the Top 6! I think that was a record for a championship team.

2014: Mikhailov, Pospisil, Liba(!) (which I'm not even sure I was the one who picked him, I abandoned the 2014 team), xxx, xxx

2015: Kapustin, Balderis, Yakushev, xxx, xxx

2016: Pospisil, Svedberg

2017: Elias

2018: Hlinka, Liba

Well 2012 and especially 2017 were rather low on europeans.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think Eugene Melnyk and the Ottawa Senators are hosting the draft in Barbados.

Now yer tawkin

2560469_141_y.jpg

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Liba's CSSR League points finishes:
1, 3, 5, 5
goals finishes:
1, 4, 6, 7
WC/OG points:
9, 8
goals:
4, 9
CSSR MVP voting:
1, 2, 2, 2, 6

Like I said.. decent peak, next to nothing past that. I don't think those 5th place points finishes are much of anything, but I can double check.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I think Sologubov is a much better player though.
Overall Sologubov is better, defensively they are either on the same level, or Burrows is slightly ahead, but what I need is defense + PK, that's why I picked Dave.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Overall Sologubov is better, defensively they are either on the same level, or Burrows is slightly ahead, but what I need is defense + PK, that's why I picked Dave.

He's a good pick here, probably the best PK defenseman left.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Who wants to do a draft marathon (we draft all in one night) in the upcoming month with me, VanI and probably another guy? Four teams, structure as follow:

One team each

8 lines
6 pairings
4 goalies
2 coaches
1 rover
1 goon
1 PP unit with players drafted strictly for this
1 PK unit with players drafted strictly for this

Reactions: VanIslander

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I still don't see much difference between him and Clark Gillies

Yeah I don't think there is any.

He was one of the many guys I considered for my 4th line. I still don't really know if I took the right guy, but Hadfield was about 5 points better in ES VsX7 over Sandford IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad