ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There are a couple of D I would've picked ahead of him just because of longevity concerns.

When he played he was as good as Lester, but he just didn't want to.

I'm sure I know who you mean and I debated him (plus 1 other guy), but at the end of the day I went with peak production. His longevity was more to do with his own decisions rather than being an injury riddled player which scares me off more in a condensed draft like this. When on the ice he was dynamite. As I've said many times, once you get down to the middle rounds, everyone has at least 1 drawback, for the most part haha.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Have to think Gordie Howe’s elbow would have reareanged that big nose of Marchand’s as well pretty quickly. :laugh:

Fortunately Howe is also on the Ottawa Senators. Maybe Gordie will have to straighten him out in practice...

Also, my mention of Eddie Shore was with a purpose. Shore is the star player of our division rival and as right defence will be matching up against Ottawa's left wings, including Marchand. Having a pest at LW to get on Shore and prod him to retaliate was a priority.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fortunately Howe is also on the Ottawa Senators. Maybe Gordie will have to straighten him out in practice...

Also, my mention of Eddie Shore was with a purpose. Shore is the star player of our division rival and as right defence will be matching up against Ottawa's left wings, including Marchand. Having a pest at LW to get on Shore and prod him to retaliate was a priority.

That's a good point. You'd hope Shore would would just ignore somebody as insignificant (as Marchand would be to Shore) as BM, but ole Eddie certainly had a temper on him haha.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I like Marchand.Though in all honesty, there's another Bruins LWer I thought was more impactful in the modern era.Many will disagree.

I think he is a fine pick now.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Hold on a second. Was Shore really that prone to retaliate against pestering?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think this is a pretty good spot for Frank Patrick. He used to go way too early, but at least he's going after Bullet Joe Simpson, Art Duncan, and Lloyd Cook now.

Frank Patrick is hard to evaluate. When he played, he was pretty clearly better than all of those guys you listed. He was probably better than Lester, actually, but he just had other interests.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Beavers select C/LW Vincent Damphousse.

Good pick. He was our backup plan for 2nd line LW if Gottselig got taken.

You have to think that Damphousse's stats are a little less than they could have been if he had played for a team other than Montreal at a time when Montreal was just about the only defense-first team in an otherwise offense-first league.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Frank Patrick is hard to evaluate. When he played, he was pretty clearly better than all of those guys you listed. He was probably better than Lester, actually, but he just had other interests.

His peak is absolutely better than all those names above. His best 4 seasons were even better than his brother's IMO. I'm not as sour on his longevity because it wasn't injury related but it's certainly fair to drop him because he doesn't have much beyond those 4 stellar years out west, although he showed well for 2 years in the east prior to Vancouver. Had he played all of 14-15 (did have a good SCF though) and 15-16 he'd likely be drafted much higher IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
His peak is absolutely better than all those names above. His best 4 seasons were even better than his brother's IMO. I'm not as sour on his longevity because it wasn't injury related but it's certainly fair to drop him because he doesn't have much beyond those 4 stellar years out west, although he showed well for 2 years in the east prior to Vancouver. Had he played all of 14-15 (did have a good SCF though) and 15-16 he'd likely be drafted much higher IMO.

I'm not at all convinced his peak was better than Bullet Joe Simpson's, but Simpson is another player who is hard to evaluate.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

I'm building a bio for Simpson for TZ, I don't think Frank Patrick peaked higher than Joe Simpson

Reactions: tinyzombies

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I agree that Simpson might have a better peak, a comparison between the two would be interesting.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I agree that Simpson might have a better peak, a comparison between the two would be interesting.

If I get time perhaps I'll do it.

Based on the stuff I found for Simpson's bio, before tinyzombies stole him from me. He may have had the highest peak of any defenseman out west

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If I get time perhaps I'll do it.

Based on the stuff I found for Simpson's bio, before tinyzombies stole him from me. He may have had the highest peak of any defenseman out west

I thought you had Simpson for some reasons.But it's Duncan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad