overpass listpicks Alexander Mogilny, RW

Mogilny-2.jpg

and Brad Marchand, LW

012617bruinsms10.jpg

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We'll take another D here. I'm impressed by what Jarek and RB have dug up in the past and think he'll be a great anchor for the bottom pairing. Obviously an offensive Dman he also seems to be highly thought of in his own end. Tough as nails, stuck up for his teammates, the only reason his longevity isn't that great was he spent a lot of his playing age behind the bench as a coach and businessman. He and his brother helped form the PCHA as well.

The Bankers are excited to add:

Frank Patrick, D

100796-9793544Fr.jpg

From RB's bio last year

220px-Frank_Patrick,_Vancouver_Millionaires.jpg

Frank Patrick

- 5'11, 185 lbs.
- With 70's fudge - 6'3, 225 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1915)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1918, 1923)
- PCHA First Team All-Star (1912, 1914)
- PCHA Second Team All-Star (1917)
- PCHA Assist Leader (1913)
- Top-10 in PCHA scoring 4 times (2nd, 4th, 6th, 10th)
- PCHA defense scoring leader all 4 full PCHA seasons he played (1912, 1913, 1914, 1917)

Statistics

First Lets Look At the PCHA (Source Empire of Ice)

1912 Season
Frank - 24 Goals (Points) - 4th League Wide
Lester - 10 Goals (Points) - 11th League Wide
Johnson - 9 Goals (Points) -12th League Wide

Notable forwards he outscored: Tommy Phillips, Fred Taylor

1913 Season
Frank - 12 Goals - 20 Points - 4th League Wide
Lester - 14 Goals - 5 Points - 5th League Wide
Johnson - 6 Goals - 10 Points - 13th League Wide

Notable forwards he outscored: Fred Taylor, xxxxxxxxxx

1914 Season
Frank - 11 Goals - 20 Points - 6th League Wide
Lester - 5 Goals - 10 Points - 16th League Wide (was injured though)
Johnson - 3 Goals - 8 Points - Tied for 17th

Notable forwards he outscored: Didier Pitre, Frank Nighbor, Smokey Harris

1917 Season
Frank - 13 Goals - 26 Points - Tied for 10th
Lester - 10 Goals - 21 Points - Tied for 12th
Cook - 13 Goals - 22 Points - Tied for 11th
Jonhson - 12 Goals - 21 Points - Tied for 12th

Notable forwards he outscored: Jack Walker, xxxxxxxxxx (tie)

Looking at the scoring in these four years and arbitrarily picking the best defenceman each team in the PCHA had that season (L.Patrick, L.Cook and E.Johnson) it's fairly clear that Frank was on a level above them in terms of offensive production. PCHA all-time defense points-per-game leaders, min. 80 GP

Finally to make it as apples to apples as I can, in these 4 seasons Frank played 68 games, so taking those other defencemens ppg over their best seasons as close as I can get to 68 games gives

This is from SIHR
F. Patrick - 1.32 Pts/Game
L. Patrick - 1.10 Pts/Game
L.Cook - 0.97 Pts/Game

So you might ask, four legendary seasons so what? Well he has is previous two seasons in NHA/ECHA

In 1908, he was behind Taylor (12), Ross (10), xxx (10) and another guy (10). He had 9 goals in 8 games

In 1910, he was behind xxx (15), Ross (13), Taylor (9) and another guy (9). He had 8 goals in 11 games

So besides 4 years as the best offensive defenseman in the PCHA he was also 5th and 4th in D scoring back East. Taking his finishes amongst D at face value for a moment:

1, 1, 1, 1, 4, 5

And league wide

4, 4, 6, 10, 25, 27

I feel that Frank Patrick is undervalued in this draft, his record is solid for a 4D and gun to my head he would be on my list of top 100 D all time. The following selection of quotes are from modern and first hand sources. They show how highly his services were sought and just overall how great he was when he took off the suit and stepped onto the ice.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I just wish he was more interested in playing hockey as crazy as that sounds. :laugh:

Gun to my head I would consider him on the fringe of the top 100ish D of all time

Nice pick

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I just wish he was more interested in playing hockey as crazy as that sounds. :laugh:

Gun to my head I would consider him on the fringe of the top 100ish D of all time

Nice pick

Yeah, he's got enough of a peak resume to go in this area and look good, but had he decided to play a bit more I'm certain he'd be picked much higher. His offensive production from the back end against some VERY good names is tremendous.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for announcing the picks, Iceman.

GM overpass at a press conference in the Chateau Laurier: The Ottawa Senators are very pleased to add Brad Marchand. Ever since Brad's first full season in the league in 2010-11, he has led the league in plus-minus at +184.

One third of the modern writers make a note to place a Selke vote for Marchand.

He has also led all players in shorthanded scoring with 23 shorthanded goals and 36 shorthanded points.

Another third of the modern writers make a note to place a Selke vote for Marchand.

For those of you who use the modern advanced stats, Brad has been fifth in Corsi since entering the league.

The remaining modern writers make a note to place a Selke vote for Marchand.

He has been one of the best left wingers in the league --

The writers all cross out their notes about Selke votes, remembering Marchand is not a centre.

with his scoring, checking, agitating, and playoff heroics. Oh, and he's also first in the league in that time for goals scored on the backhand (48) and shooting percentage on the backhand (29%).

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Yeah, he's got enough of a peak resume to go in this area and look good, but had he decided to play a bit more I'm certain he'd be picked much higher. His offensive production from the back end against some VERY good names is tremendous.

There are a couple of D I would've picked ahead of him just because of longevity concerns.

When he played he was as good as Lester, but he just didn't want to.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wow what a flurry of activity.

Love the Marchand pick.

Yeah, love when we can turn a round quickly like that. Gives us great momentum heading into the evening.

Marchand deserves a bump, but I'm not sure that much. He's got a 1st team AS to his name and a great showing in the WCOH but he still doesn't bring much offense to this level and until last year his Selke record were token (couple) votes. Grade A pest though. I'm sure there are some ruffians in the ATD that won't take to kindly to his antics :laugh::naughty:

Edit: He's got enough skill to be on a 2nd unit PK though IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad