Atd-ML#10 THE MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Arguably, the fastest 80'ies enforcer in the show. It was said that even Dave Shultz feared him...

Winger Nicholas Evlampios Fotiu

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
G Ed Johnston

johnston.jpg

- Stanley Cup (1970, 1972)
- 5th in All-Star voting (1971)
- 10th in hart voting (1964)
- One of only five goalies to play 20% of a full schedule at age 42 or older (Bower, Worsley, Plante, and Hasek are the others)
- One of only ten goalies to play 20% of a full schedule at age 40 or older (Lehman, Hainsworth, Burke, Belfour, and Esposito are the rest)
- Ken Dryden's backup at the 1972 Summit Series
- Last goalie to ever play every minute of the NHL schedule

The career of netminder Eddie Johnston straddled the NHL's Original Six and Expansion eras. He also witnessed first hand the transformation of the Boston Bruins from league doormats to Stanley Cup champions. Overall, he played in nearly 600 regular season games and was considered a steady if unspectacular player.

After leading the EPHL in wins and shutouts in 1960-61 and topping the WHL in victories the next year, the Bruins gave him a shot at the big leagues. Johnston received plenty of work in the early stages of his NHL career since Boston continually battled the New York Rangers to stay out of the league's basement. Still, in the days when there were only six full time NHL goalkeepers, it was a major accomplishment for Johnston to suit up for the Bruins regardless of how bad they were. In only his second season, the young backstopper played in all 70 of the Bruins' games, one of the last players of his time to do so. Johnston was also one of the last goalies to adopt a face mask after he was hit by a Bobby Orr shot in pre-game warm up in 1965.

Johnston was on hand as the Bruins built around the likes of Orr, Phil Esposito and Johnny Bucyk to become a league power in the late 1960s. By this time he was playing nearly 40 games a season but was definitely the "number 2" goalie behind Gerry Cheevers. The Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 1970 with Johnson as the second stringer. Two years later he led all post-season netminders with six wins and a 1.86 goals against average as the Bruins won their second title in three seasons. A few months later, Johnston was honoured by being named the spare goaltender for Team Canada in the Summit Series versus the Soviet Union.

- loh.net

always popular with the fans and teammates...

- Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia

As the team got better, though, he saw reduced activity, for part of that betterment involved the development of Gerry Cheevers in goal. No matter. Johnston played second fiddle with perfect pitch, and whenever he came in he did a good job.

- Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL

relied on his game of playing the angles

- Hockey's Golden Era: Stars of the Original Six

He was 42 when he decided to quit and still had offers to play another season with a couple of clubs.

- Heroes: Stars Of Hockey's Golden Era

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Yevgeny Paladiev

untitled-3.jpg

- 5'11", 180 lbs
- Played 3 games for USSR in Summit Series. No points but 5th on the team with a +2 rating.
- USSR All-Star (1969-3rd team, 1970-1st team)
- Represented the USSR in 35 Major International Games
- World Championship Gold Medal (1969, 1970, 1973)
- Izvestia Cup (1969)
- Member of the Soviet HHOF

One of the strongest young Soviet blueliners of the late 1960's - early 1970's, Yevgeny Poladiev represented Spartak Moscow in Team USSR. He was an extremely reliable and fearless defense player with a poweful long distance slapshot and effective body-checking and shot-blocking skills. Poladiev was one of the Spartak fans favorites during his relatively short career in the top level hockey. Like his teammate Zimin, he was drafted to the Soviet Army but never played a game for a mighty CSKA, an all-time rivalry of his home team Spartak.

- chidlovski.net

A steady, unspectacular player who will not mind sitting in the press box as he did for half of the Summit Series. If he does play it will be in case of injury and on the 3rd pairing against the other team's smallest unit. A depth player.

- renowned hockey historian and GM seventieslord

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
C Cal Gardner

1889.jpg

- Stanley Cup (1949, 1951)
- Scored Stanley Cup Winning Goal (1949)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1957)
- NHL All-Star Game Participant (1948, 1949)
- 7th in goals (1951)
- Top-16 in assists 4 times (9th, 12th, 12th, 16th)
- 10th in points (1951)
- Played in six consecutive complete seasons (at least 420 straight games, 1951-1957)

A rugged hockey player...

- Heroes: Stars Of Hockey's Golden Era

A rangy guy with equal degrees of finesse and toughness

- Quest For the Cup

Gardner was the most interesting of the three. He'd kept in the best shaoe, tall and rangy, and he conducted himself on the ice with perfect confidence. He put on sudden bursts of speed when they were called for. he laid down passes in unstoppable, take-them-by-surprise patterns.

- The Leafs in Autumn

Nobody could precisely take Apps' place, but gardner had the tools to keep the old Apps line - Harry Watson on left wing, Bill Ezinicki on right - more than respectable... good at both ends of the ice, a centre who took pleasure in handing out a body check, not a prolific scorer but a sweetheart of a passer. Gardner did the job for the Leafs in 1948-49. He skated miles, laid the body on Milt Schmidt and Elmer Lach and the other big-name opposing centres, and kept feeding passes to Harry Watson.

- The Leafs: An Anecdotal History

The Leafs took the first two games in Detroit and then won the first game in Toronto. The Wings looked like they may be able to prolong the series when they took a 1-0 lead in the first period. The Leafs tied the game and then took the lead on Gardner's goal. The play started when Bill Ezinicki kicked the puck ahead to Jim Thomson, when then hit a streaking Gardner with a pass. Gardner raced down the side that Jack Stewart had vacated and made a shift with his body that threw Harry Lumley out of position. Gardner put the puck where Lumley had left an opening...

- Maple Leafs Top-100, describing Gardner's 1949 Cup Winner.

Reardon and Gardner, though, saved their worst for a game a short time later when they engaged in one of the most vicious stick fights in NHL history, both ending up bloodied and dazed and forced by Clarence Campbell to post peace bonds for the rest of the season. The two developed a hatred for eachother, and even 50 years later each swore never to som much as say hello to the other.

It was Ezinicki who hit Reardon first, not me... Reardon swung back at Ezinicki, and his stick landed on me. That's when I took my own stick and hit Reardon on both shoulders... I broke the stick on the right.

- Cal Gardner, as told to Jack Batten

"Cal", Smythe said in the dressing room after the game, "you should've got that goal." Sure, the puck came real close to me. But if you take a look at the famous photograph of the goal, the one that shows Barilko flying through the air, you'll see me skating in the direction of a montreal player. It was The Rocket. I had my attention on him, not on the puck. The thing was, Barilko had left his defense spot open, and if he hadn't scored, the puck could easily have come out to Richard. Without Barilko in position, the Rocket could've been on a breakaway. So I was just doing my job, putting a guard on Rocket Richard.

- Cal Gardner, as told to Jack Batten, describing the 1951 Cup Winning Goal.

Could fill in and be a below-average 2nd-liner, a below-average 3rd-liner, or an excellent 4th-liner, whether it's a grind line or a scoring line.

A Center-ice version of Eric Nesterenko, plus 20% more talent, minus 20% intensity, minus 40% longevity.

- renowned hockey historian seventieslord

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW - Steve Konowalchuk
Legends of Hockey said:
Since joining the NHL in the early 1990s, winger/center Steve Konowalchuk has been a solid two-way player, a good skater with a tenacious work ethic.

Konowalchuk's solid all round game was recognized when he played a game for the U.S. when they won the inaugural World Cup of Hockey in 1996. As the Caps began the 2001-02 season with the addition of superstar Jaromir Jagr, Konowalchuk's role as a solid two-way forward remained vital to the success of the team.

And ya..my next 3 picks to make up will be all guys that were not picked in the AAA/MLD/ATD but were featured in the top-1000 thread. All credit to seventieslord for some of these bio's.

RW - Joe Lamb
seventieslord said:
229 points in 443 games from 1927 to 1938. One of the better two-way wingers of his time. Always a decent scorer, but had an amazing 1929-30 where he put up 29 goals and 49 points in 44 games (9th in the NHL) and led the league in PIM.

F - Jack Findlay
seventieslord said:
Not much info exists about him that I can find. But his name shows up in the scoring leaders four times (1887, 1889, 1890, 1891) with 15 goals in 20 games during those seasons, placing 7th, 4th, 4th, and 3rd in the league. Ultimate Hockey also awarded him three retro selkes.

D - Jack Campbell
seventieslord said:
Was not a MAAA member, but may have been the player responsible for keeping the matches between MAAA and the Victorias close in this period. He was possibly the first rushing defenseman. "Solid defensively and strong as a bull"... "marvelous skater, smooth stickhandler"... "the first true franchise player"... "the first star player to be consistently double and triple-teamed by enemy checkers". A fierce rival of XXXXX XXXXXXX (above). Finished 4th and 2nd in AHAC scoring in 1887 and 1888 with a combined 11 goals in 14 games. Ultimate Hockey awarded him a retro Norris and two retro Harts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW - Steve Konowalchuk

And ya..my next 3 picks to make up will be all guys that were not picked in the AAA/MLD/ATD but were featured in the top-1000 thread. All credit to seventieslord for some of these bio's.

RW - Joe Lamb

F - Jack Findlay

D - Jack Campbell

Oh, COME ON chaos, don't do this to me! All four of these were guys I'd have loved to take in AAA10. I thought for sure they'd make it.

Konowalchuk would have been one of the best modern defensive forwards in the draft, and had decent offensive ability.

Lamb would have been a great 4th-line banger with good talent for the AAA level; he could have also been a 3rd-liner with his all-round ability. And even as the glue guy of a 2nd line, he wouldn't look out of place.

Findlay and Campbell would be a couple of the best players in the AAA draft, BUT for whatever reason, I don't get the impression that a lot of the ATD/MLD GMs seem to care much about pre-Stanley Cup players. I do, and I try to see everything as relatively as I can. I'm just not sure that many others care much about when hockey was 100% amateur, there was no high-profile trophy at stake, and seasons were 5-6 games long. But by the time you're at the end of the MLD and in the AAA draft, these types of things should matter less and less.

Good luck to you. You could say I was too chicken to take a guy like Findlay. Even though he was probably the best defensive forward of his time.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
C/LW Mike Krushelnyski

223618.jpg

- 6'2", 210 lbs.
- Stanley Cup (1985, 1987, 1988)
- 13th in goals (1985)
- 9th in playoff goals (1983)
- Played in NHL All-Star Game (1985)
- In 7 of his 12 playoffs, his team advanced to the 3rd round or deeper
- Career +179

Mike Krushelnyski was a versatile forward who was equally proficient at left wing and centre. He was a good stickhandler with a long each who could score, set up plays and check.

Krushelnyski enjoyed a fine rookie season in 1982-83 with 65 points playing with Barry Pederson and Rick Middleton. In the post-season he scored eight goals while helping Boston reach semi-finals. After two more solid years in Beantown he was traded to the Edmonton Oilers for Ken Linseman.

He scored 43 goals in 1984-85 playing with Wayne Gretzky and was chosen to participate in the NHL All-Star Game that season. "Krusher" scored 13 points in 18 games while helping the Oilers repeat as Stanley Cup champions.

Starting in 1985-86 Krushelnyski settled into a more defensive role on an Oilers squad that was loaded with offensive players. His ability on faceoffs along with strong two-way play was an under-appreciated component of Edmonton's Stanley Cup triumphs in 1987 and 1988.

In August 1988 he was part of the monumental trade to the Los Angeles Kings with Gretzky. Krushelnyski scored 62 points his first year in L.A. before his play dropped off and he was traded to Toronto for John McIntrye early in 1990-91. The Leafs were struggling and hoped Krushelnyski would bring savvy and a winning attitude to the club. He started slowly but ended up playing a solid checking role for Toronto while supplying offence on occasion.

- loh.net

Had the perfect blend of speed and size to go with Gretzky

Mike was a big boy by the time he reached the NHL, playing at 6'2" and anywhere from 200 to 215 pounds. His long stride made up for his lack of natural speed. That compensation helped to make him one of the better skaters in the league. He had a powerful stride and good balance made him very agile for such a large player.

Mike also was very gifted with his hands. A good faceoff man, he was a good puckhandler who could dance the puck past a defenseman. He had good vision and anticipation and a long reach to aid him in his goal scoring pursuits.

In his first year with the Oilers, Krushelnyski enjoyed a banner season. He recorded career-highs in goals (43), assists (45) and points (88) and was third in the NHL with a plus-56 rating. He even played in the 1985 All-Star Game. He also helped the Oilers capture the Stanley Cup championship that year.

...He spent most of the (1987 and 1988) Stanley Cup playoffs on other units, particularly as a third line shutdown center.

As Mike's true value to the Oilers became obvious as a third line checker and grinder, his offensive numbers went down. He scored only 16 goals in each of the next two seasons, and 40 and 51 points respectively. He upped that to 20 goals and 47 points in 1987-88 - his final season in Edmonton.

- Joe Pelletier

He can be a 3rd or 4th line player with his defensive ability, but he has also shown he can have success with the most talented player in the league. At this level, that is Nilsson. He has size and a good playoff record so in case of injury to Payne, he will be an ideal fill-in.

- renowned hockey historian seventieslord

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh, COME ON chaos, don't do this to me! All four of these were guys I'd have loved to take in AAA10. I thought for sure they'd make it.

Konowalchuk would have been one of the best modern defensive forwards in the draft, and had decent offensive ability.

Lamb would have been a great 4th-line banger with good talent for the AAA level; he could have also been a 3rd-liner with his all-round ability. And even as the glue guy of a 2nd line, he wouldn't look out of place.

Findlay and Campbell would be a couple of the best players in the AAA draft, BUT for whatever reason, I don't get the impression that a lot of the ATD/MLD GMs seem to care much about pre-Stanley Cup players. I do, and I try to see everything as relatively as I can. I'm just not sure that many others care much about when hockey was 100% amateur, there was no high-profile trophy at stake, and seasons were 5-6 games long. But by the time you're at the end of the MLD and in the AAA draft, these types of things should matter less and less.

Good luck to you. You could say I was too chicken to take a guy like Findlay. Even though he was probably the best defensive forward of his time.
Haha I looked at some of the more modern players available and didn't see any guys really any better than the ones you mentioned in that thread. No brainers to me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bears repeating:

Schedule of Events:​

1) Friday the last round will be officially over (make your picks guys!)

2) a 24-hour window for add/drop will commence immediately following the draft, allowing a team to drop a guy from their roster and add a new guy if you want (here on this thread), but make both at the same time: drop only when the guy to be added has been decided (probably no teams will actually add/drop, but the option is open if anyone wants to)

3) Before the end of Saturday, update your roster thread post, including captain and top two alternate captains (special teams pp and pk entirely optional)

4) Contribute to the line-up assassination thread between now and the end of Saturday

5) NOT BEFORE SUNDAY, :bee: on Sunday itself or by Monday noon eastern time, (PM to me):

(a) rank the teams in each division (1 to 6) based on your assessment of how they'd do over a long regular season;

(b) also rank 1st2nd3rd the top three at each position (3 at left wing, 3 at center, 3 at right wing, 3 on defense, 3 goalies, 3 coaches) BASED on their ATD merit, that is, their likelihood to be called up to the highest ATD league of competition, most worthy (e.g., so that means a role player could outvote a first line scorer) for the all-star team based on excellence at whatever they do in an all-time context. Note: Do not rank guys from your own team! Let the other GMs do that.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
DROP: Mike Grier

And the Labatt Blues will add a player I don't believe has EVER been in an ATD or MLD. The Blues select:

C - Oliver Seibert
P196110S.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
Oliver Seibert was, by reputation, a very fast skater and versatile player. He actually began his hockey career as a goaltender, a position usually reserved for those who were weaker on the blades. But, he switched to centre by the time he stepped on the ice with Berlin in the Western Ontario Hockey Association in 1900. In his initial season he scored ten goals in eight games played and increased his production the following year to 13 goals in six games played. By 1902, his third year in the league, he led the scoring derby with 17 goals in eight games. Seibert was one of the first to use the wrist shot and it would seem that he found the mark more often than not.

* Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961.
* Father of Earl Seibert

VCL said:
I came across this guy in my research. I thought he was already drafted for sure. Father of Earl, I think he could even make the main draft as a 13th forward.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Haha I looked at some of the more modern players available and didn't see any guys really any better than the ones you mentioned in that thread. No brainers to me.

Yeah, that was me airing out my laundry list of players I never got around to taking, and no one ever got around to taking them either. Paul Haynes ended up coming in handy. Bear in mind, although I thought I was a pretty good GM back then, I wasn't :laugh:

Bears repeating:

I'm all for making things go fast, but that's an awfully short time for discussion and assassination. Especially when the assassination date is Valentines Day. It puts those of us with a significant other in a pretty tight spot. And Monday is a holiday in Canada and the US. What a great opportunity to really look at everyone's lineup and make an informed decision.

Thoughts?

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah, that was me airing out my laundry list of players I never got around to taking, and no one ever got around to taking them either. Paul Haynes ended up coming in handy. Bear in mind, although I thought I was a pretty good GM back then, I wasn't :laugh:
Well I was scrambling because Cotton hasn't been on since the 5th and our list was basically blank after so many days without updating it, so I scrambled. And remembered you criticizing me for not researching and picking modern players in the last draft so I did some snooping and found them.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm all for making things go fast, but that's an awfully short time for discussion and assassination. Especially when the assassination date is Valentines Day. It puts those of us with a significant other in a pretty tight spot. And Monday is a holiday in Canada and the US. What a great opportunity to really look at everyone's lineup and make an informed decision.

Thoughts?
thought: I recall you asking for more time for playoff round discussion, got it, then no one discussed anything

this should not DRAG !

we want active discussion in the playoffs as well... and the playoff match-ups for round one will be set late monday afternoon so you could make further comments about line-ups in the match-up threads

in the meantime, we have a whole long saturday yet to come for lineup assassination discussion! :)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well I was scrambling because Cotton hasn't been on since the 5th and our list was basically blank after so many days without updating it, so I scrambled. And remembered you criticizing me for not researching and picking modern players in the last draft so I did some snooping and found them.

For that you get the seventieslord seal of approval :)

It's definitely no secret that I like teams that are truly "all-time". It was even 3% of my scoring system last draft.

On that note, I don't think I will use any kind of a scoring system this time... it's just not as "prestigious" a draft. But I still want to feel that I got it "right" so I will be reading a lot.

thought: I recall you asking for more time for playoff round discussion, got it, then no one discussed anything

this should not DRAG !

we want active discussion in the playoffs as well... and the playoff match-ups for round one will be set late monday afternoon so you could make further comments about line-ups in the match-up threads

in the meantime, we have a whole long saturday yet to come for lineup assassination discussion! :)

Playoff discussion is a good thing, no question.

The main problem right now is that Saturday, our best chance to check out lineups and post feedback, is Valentines Day and anyone with a wife or girlfriend (i.e. me) will have no chance of doing so.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We've had a great draft. :handclap:

Now... TODAY IS VOTING DAY. Get those votes and rankings in via PM.

Tomorrow evening round one of the MLD Playoffs shall begin! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad