ATD Chat Thread XVIII

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Nice find. I guess the mixed-up story between 7:00 and 8:00 is actually referring to the 1967 World Championship (not the 1968 Olympics at Grenoble) where Canada indeed went ahead 1-0 against the USSR. Later Firsov tied the game and Starshinov scored the game-winner.

Yeah, he has some slight mix ups, but his memory is still pretty remarkable. If we blank on something, we just use Google to find the answer. That's not an option for him. He's just remembered that for aver 50 years. I hope I can do that well when I'm about 75. His videos are worth watching. There's a gold mine of memories.

I'd love it if they asked him more about some of that. I'm pretty sure he'd have a lot more insight. He really seems to be a big fan of it. He likes using a saying, "A coward does not play hockey."

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... I ain't back angel-yard picking either of them over Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Roy, Hasek, Richard, Harvey, Bourque, ... and likely not over Beliveau, Shore, Morenz, Kelly...
99% agreed. I'll take Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Hull, Beliveau, Roy, Harvey, Richard, Bourque, and Morenz as my top 11.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What are your all-time favorite tv shows? I'll take:

The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Andy Griffith Show - Barney Fife is the best character in tv history.
Mr. Ed - A talking horse.
The Addams Family
My Favorite Martian
The Munsters - Free on Peacock.
My Mother the Car - A guy's mother's soul is in a car.

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey

The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Addams Family
My Favorite Martian

Doctor Who
NCIS (Definitely needs Gibbs though, and it's unusual that I like it because I typically hate crime modern dramas.)
Corner Gas
Full House
I Dream of Jeannie
Boy Meets World
Poirot
Bewitched
The Andy Griffith Show (Barney is a MUST. It went way downhill after Don Knotts left.)

Just a few off the top of my head.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What have been my favs:

Three's Company
Magnum P.I. (the original, with Tom Selleck)
Walt Disney (Sundays at 6pm)
The Twilight Zone
The Price is Right
Carol Burnett
SCTV
Kids in the Hall
This Hour Has 22 Minutes
Star Trek: TNG
Homicide: Life on the Street
Prison Break
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Saturday Night Live
The Nature of Things

Several documentary shows.

And this century mostly reality competition shows:

Survivor, Survivor South Africa, The Amazing Race, The Amazing Race Canada, Big Brother, Project Runway, Big Brother Canada, Masterchef, Masterchef Canada, especially love Masterchef Australia, So You Think You Can Dance, So You Think You Can Dance Australia, Top Chef, Top Chef Canada, Next Level Chef, The Challenge.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Oh yeah, i forgot to add The Wire.

I have found most of the Star Trek series interesting, with TNG my fav, but i found DS9 too annoyingly political in its themes: they spend a lot of time arguing about what to do. It is like Battlestar Galactica, which has great moments but the struggle for power over the fleet, the female lead always having meetings, ugh.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Addams Family
My Favorite Martian

Seinfeld
Community
It's Always Sunny in Philadephia
Corner Gas
Top Gear
30 Rock
Arrested Development
Parks and Recreation
What We Do In The Shadows

Big sitcom guy as you can tell

Last edited:

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Veronica Mars
What We Do in the Shadows
Sliders
Batman (1966)
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Justice League
Lovecraft Country
Breaking Bad
Watchmen
The Office
Parks and Rec

Many others along the same lines.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Oh yeah, i forgot to add The Wire.

I have found most of the Star Trek series interesting, with TNG my fav, but i found DS9 too annoyingly political in its themes: they spend a lot of time arguing about what to do. It is like Battlestar Galactica, which has great moments but the struggle for power over the fleet, the female lead always having meetings, ugh.
Not really my vibe at all. First season is uneven (but that's every star trek), but I don't really get the meeting vibe.

And Star Trek in general is just very political in themes.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No particular order:

Star Trek TNG
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
The Expanse
Orphan Black

Lost would be there if the last season was better. The last season of the Wire also knocks it out of my top tier.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
What We Do in the Shadows

Forgot this on my list, f*** it's so good

200.gif

Reactions: RustyRazor

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Star Trek TNG
Batman The Animated Series
Delta State
Omerta (Quebec)
The Sopranos
The Shield
The Simpsons
Trailer Park Boys
Columbo

There's many others, like House, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Wire, that I enjoyed, but most of them are overrated, and I don't see myself watching them ever again (except maybe The Wire). Hell, I don't think I can watch The Sopranos ever again anymore. So many boring secondary story lines, basically anything unrelated to the Mafia can be safely ignored. Omerta is much better than The Sopranos, and unbelievably, the Mafia Don actor is even better than Gandolfini.

I do like sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, at least the first three seasons, but I can't get myself to include it in a Top List.

I was also a sucker for CSI: Miami for a while, just a guilty pleasure. It's complete garbage.

I also like cartoons, The Flintstones, South Park, American Dad, Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, though I wouldn't include those in my "Top list". Simpsons and Batman Animated series get a pass, because they were amazing series, cartoon or not. Delta State is a bit in that category, but it was rotoscoped. Just thought it was a clever series, but nobody knows about it.

Trailer Park Boys' first 7 seasons were perfect. It was so good.

Star Trek TNG: Why not the other Star Trek series? Basically an accident, I watched TNG in an intense period of my life and I have an emotional attachment to it, plus I think it's also the best. But I enjoyed The Original series too.

Why The Shield? Because no one talks about it, yet it's just as good as The Sopranos of this world, so I make it a point to include it.

Last edited:

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Star Trek TNG
Batman The Animated Series
Delta State
Omerta (Quebec)
The Sopranos
The Shield
The Simpsons
Trailer Park Boys

There's many others, like House, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Wire, that I enjoyed, but most of them are overrated, and I don't see myself watching them ever again (except maybe The Wire). Hell, I don't think I can watch The Sopranos ever again anymore. So many boring secondary story lines, basically anything unrelated to the Mafia can be safely ignored. Omerta is much better than The Sopranos, and unbelievably, the Mafia Don actor is even better than Gandolfini.

I do like sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, at least the first three seasons, but I can't get myself to include it in a Top List.

I was also a sucker for CSI: Miami for a while, just a guilty pleasure. It's complete garbage.

I also like cartoons, The Flintstones, South Park, American Dad, Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, though I wouldn't include those in my "Top list". Simpsons and Batman Animated series get a pass, because they were amazing series, cartoon or not.

I totally forgot the Simpsons. I don't watch it anymore, but for a long time it was a staple in my media viewimg.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I loved Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings, especially Bugs Bunny.

The Simpsons, like Jeopardy, I liked but could take it or leave it: not must-see TV.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why The Shield? Because no one talks about it, yet it's just as good as The Sopranos of this world, so I make it a point to include it.
The Shield exhausts me. Its really good but i feel like it was held back by being 22+ episode seasons. But Walton Goggins is like my favorite.

Probably could have put Justified and Eastbound and Down on my list too. I loved Vice Principals but only two seasons makes that a little brief for a top of all time show.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The Shield exhausts me. Its really good but i feel like it was held back by being 22+ episode seasons. But Walton Goggins is like my favorite.

Probably could have put Justified and Eastbound and Down on my list too. I loved Vice Principals but only two seasons makes that a little brief for a top of all time show.

Yeah, I know what you mean by The Shield being exhausting.

Haven't seen Justified, but Eastbound and Down was terrific. Not sure why that series wasn't more popular. Will Ferrell's character was amazing in this.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Holy shit, how did I forget what is probably my #1?

Columbo !

Will add it to my post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad