ATD Chat Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don't feel like going through Chicago's line-ups from their three wins as I'm about to go to sleep, but didn't the entire line-up change except the core between the first cup and the last? If so this can't all be on ''luck".It's more probable they have the right core to win, and then they get the depth players competently.Else that means they got lucky twice or more with their depth players.

As to how long it will last, not very long in my opinion.But other teams with a great core will replace them.I could see Florida becoming that team because they have Ekblad, but I can't really predict.It might be Edmonton if they can get their hand on a very high-end #1 defenseman.All they need is McDavid, Draisatl, a strong #1 defenseman and a decent goalie.Then they can rotate the depth as long as it's a bunch of decent players.They won't even need Hall or RNH or Eberle (though they won't hurt).

But I agree that you can't do it with the core alone.My point is that it's much easier to find depth competently than to end up with the right core.A good exemple of mediocre managing performance is Pittsburgh, where they spectacularly failed to surround their strong core.Pittsburgh most likely won't have another player of Crosby's caliber within the lifetime of any adult Pittsburgh fan.Nevermind a Lemieux.Let that sink in for a moment.Now I tell you they probably won't have another player of Malkin's caliber neither for decades.They blew up a golden opportunity and failed to deliver.Management is to blame.

I agree with this. The salary cap has created two types of players - core players you lock up forever and expendable players. Lou L basically said that a few years ago, in less harsh words.

Chicago did get awfully lucky though. How many teams dump their Cup winning goalie for a cheap replacement, who turns out to be better ?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I agree with this. The salary cap has created two types of players - core players you lock up forever and expendable players. Lou L basically said that a few years ago, in less harsh words.

Chicago did get awfully lucky though. How many teams dump their Cup winning goalie for a cheap replacement, who turns out to be better ?

Lucky, or their scouting department did their job.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
It is far from minor for Ottawa..

Yeah, it fills their biggest hole. The second pairing performed well in the stretch drive last year but was exposed and exploited in the playoffs. Phaneuf makes the LD spot on the second pairing a strength.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

This is why, as a Montreal fan, Galchenyuk's failure to become a solid first line player as a 3rd overall was devastating.I think Price and Subban are winners, I have no doubt about it.I don't consider Pacioretty to be part of the core in the way we're talking about.Price and Subban was a damn good start, but they don't have that legit high-end forward.If they had, they could revamp all the depth players and turn around much more quickly into a contender.

Chicago got lucky of course.But I feel like their real luck was to get Keith so late, and to get both Toews and Kane with their high picks, two very different players who basically both exceeded expectations.Of course having guys like Seabrook and Hossa around doesn't hurt, but Hossa went there because of what they had.

There is obviously a huge difference between getting Galchenyuk at 3rd overall or getting Toews in the same spot.Montreal didn't suck long enough to have mulligans on such high picks (say Barker in Chicago).

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
This is why, as a Montreal fan, Galchenyuk's failure to become a solid first line player as a 3rd overall was devastating.I think Price and Subban are winners, I have no doubt about it.I don't consider Pacioretty to be part of the core in the way we're talking about.Price and Subban was a damn good start, but they don't have that legit high-end forward.If they had, they could revamp all the depth players and turn around much more quickly into a contender.

Chicago got lucky of course.But I feel like their real luck was to get Keith so late, and to get both Toews and Kane with their high picks, two very different players who basically both exceeded expectations.Of course having guys like Seabrook and Hossa around doesn't hurt, but Hossa went there because of what they had.

There is obviously a huge difference between getting Galchenyuk at 3rd overall or getting Toews in the same spot.Montreal didn't suck long enough to have mulligans on such high picks (say Barker in Chicago).

I think it's too early to say Galchenyuk can't reach that ceiling..

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think it's too early to say Galchenyuk can't reach that ceiling..

Bah, I want to be wrong, but from what I've seen He won't make it.He doesn't have the instinct or IQ to reach that level, nor the pure athleticism to just dominate regardless of IQ.

I'm sure he'll be a an OK first line player nothing more (at best).

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Bah, I want to be wrong, but from what I've seen He won't make it.He doesn't have the instinct or IQ to reach that level, nor the pure athleticism to just dominate regardless of IQ.

I'm sure he'll be a an OK first line player nothing more (at best).

Well then I'm glad we got Rielly instead of him! :P

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well then maybe he will convince Cowen that he is a star and get him to start playing like one.

Babcock doesnt convince people tht they are stars. He convinces them that they are grinders. :laugh:

Anyways Ottawa traded trash to get a decent middle pairing defender that can play top minutes on a trash contract.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Babcock doesnt convince people tht they are stars. He convinces them that they are grinders. :laugh:

Anyways Ottawa traded trash to get a decent middle pairing defender that can play top minutes on a trash contract.

Let's wait and see what that trash does in Toronto before coming to any conclusions. ;)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Love it when this time of the year comes around in Sweden! You got yours iceman? :laugh:

zzJ9x03.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
yeah, "middle pairing" implies that he's a #3-4, and "decent" suggests middle of the road in that category. Is Phaneuf really only in the 50th percentile of all NHL defensemen?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
yeah, "middle pairing" implies that he's a #3-4, and "decent" suggests middle of the road in that category. Is Phaneuf really only in the 50th percentile of all NHL defensemen?

Probably shouldnt have used "decent". Its a bit of a fuzzy word. Is "good" better? Same meaning but it seems "decent" has a negative ring to it for some reason.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Probably shouldnt have used "decent". Its a bit of a fuzzy word. Is "good" better? Same meaning but it seems "decent" has a negative ring to it for some reason.

ok, but even if he's a "good" middle pairing player that's saying that if all talent was equally distributed around the league he'd still find himself the 3rd best defenseman on his team. That's still severely underrating him by at least one full depth chart slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad