ATD 2024 Lineup Advice Thread

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Post your lineup questions here.

For new GMs:

- This is meant for specific questions, do not post your entire lineup and ask what do you guys think? The more context/more information you can give the better. Links to bios you made or past bios also help.

- You are not to ask things like, which player should I draft next, and you are not to tell other GMs who they should draft. The NO UNDRAFTEDS rule applies here. It's fine to ask things about specific skill sets, does this line have too much X, does this pairing need more Y, etc., but it's up to you to find the player to draft to solve your issue (if there is one).

- A lot of questions you will see on here are about chemistry between guys you've already selected, should I play this LW with these two guys or these other two guys, etc. We also usually see a lot questions on special teams units and captaincy.

Enjoy!

EDIT: It also helps to provide your entire roster when asking a question.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanIslander

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have Clarke centering Bathgate/Kariya trying to re-create the Teemu magic. Not sure if that is wise but that is what I am doing as of this moment.

My 4 on PK are Carbo/Noble, Clarke/Propp? Maybe Glenn Anderson? Thoughts?

For the other two lines -

Propp - Lalonde - Anderson
Noble - Carbonneau - ?

Or swap Propp and Noble?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have Clarke centering Bathgate/Kariya trying to re-create the Teemu magic. Not sure if that is wise but that is what I am doing as of this moment.

My 4 on PK are Carbo/Noble, Clarke/Propp? Maybe Glenn Anderson? Thoughts?

For the other two lines -

Propp - Lalonde - Anderson
Noble - Carbonneau - ?

Or swap Propp and Noble?

That first line seems like it may have issues with not enough puck to go around and softness. You might want to take a closer look at some other options.

Propp can play on an ATD PK unit. Him and Clarke played together in real life, does anyone know if they were PK partners?

I'm not aware of Noble's PK abilities. Do you have any evidence of this? He might be better as your extra PK fwd for when one of your PKers are on the bench.

Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If this was a trade draft, it would have been wiser to trade down and re-unite Selanne & Kariya than to try Bathgate with Kariya as potential upgrade, but maybe not, given footspeed.

Steve Rucchin (never ever drafted in ATDs, not even MLDs, a puck of AAA depth drafts we used to do) was a faceoff artist backchecker with Kariya and Selanne. ...

Clarke is a passer needing a trigger man more than another tic in tic-tac-toe.

I'd put Kariya OR Bathgate with Lalonde!!! To maximize both of their premier talents.

Clarke-Anderson might be great, uniting passing with speed, both pieces of **** without the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Does a line of Brind'amour-Sundin-Iginla have enough playmaking? I got a little nervous after the post saying Elias-Stamkos-Hextall didn't have enough. I guess I expected Sundin to have some higher assist seasons than he did.

Who would you put Langway with between MacInnis and Pilote?

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If this was a trade draft, it would have been wiser to trade down and re-unite Selanne & Kariya than to try Bathgate with Kariya as potential upgrade, but maybe not, given footspeed.

Steve Rucchin (never ever drafted in ATDs, not even MLDs, a puck of AAA depth drafts we used to do) was a faceoff artist backchecker with Kariya and Selanne. ...

Clarke is a passer needing a trigger man more than another tic in tic-tac-toe.

I'd put Kariya OR Bathgate with Lalonde!!! To maximize both of their premier talents.

Clarke-Anderson might be great, uniting passing with speed, both pieces of **** without the puck.
So Bathgate probably works better with Lalonde - shoot first center.

Noble - Lalonde - Bathgate
Kariya - Clarke - Anderson
Propp - Carbonneau - ?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Here’s my defense so far:

Sprague Cleghorn-Red Horner
Jack Stewart-Sergei Zubov

Been thinking about putting Horner on the bottom pairing so i can have 1 tough guy on each pairing but open to suggestions. Thinking the defense may steer a bit more defensive based upon selections thus far as well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Does a line of Brind'amour-Sundin-Iginla have enough playmaking? I got a little nervous after the post saying Elias-Stamkos-Hextall didn't have enough. I guess I expected Sundin to have some higher assist seasons than he did.

Who would you put Langway with between MacInnis and Pilote?

Brind'Amour's defense is diminished at LW, but otherwise I think Sundin is fine as a general playmaker. It's not a line with great playmaking, mind you, but not something I would care to attack your team for.

I think I would put Pilote with Langway, but not 100% sure. Would like to know what other people think. MacInnis and Lutchenko strike me as "all-arounders" at even-strenght, whereas Langway/Pilote have a more pronounced style of play towards defense/puck-handling respectively. To be fair, I think all combinations would work here.

Here’s my defense so far:

Sprague Cleghorn-Red Horner

Been thinking about putting Horner on the bottom pairing so i can have 1 tough guy on each pairing but open to suggestions. Thinking the defense may steer a bit more defensive based upon selections thus far as well.

Horner on a 1st pairing is... risky.

I would jam the 1st pairing with Cleghorn-Stewart, and find whoever you can get to play with Zubov on the 2nd pairing, be it Horner or somebody else.

Reactions: tony d

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Sundin has that »4x top-dozen goals« bullet-point-- and that would lead one to think that he doesn't favor passing- but I wonder how much of this was driven by team circumstances:

Sundin's average league finish- goals, the Quebec years 42.
Sundin's average league finish- assists, the Quebec years 39.

Sundin's average league finish- goals, the Toronto years 25
Sundin's average league finish- assists, the Toronto years 31.
[These four numbers are rounded to the nearest whole-number.]

What really has me doing a double-take is Brind'Amour as a top-6 LW in a 23 team ATD. I'll let someone else break it to ya...
Brind'amour - I don't think he loses much offense at LW, but he loses most of his defense (and of course faceoffs at LW), and nobody is drafting him for his offense.
My advice? Make Goulet the #2 LW, take whatever hit you're going to take on the playmaking connection from Sundin, and employ Brind'Amour as a fit-to-purpose #3C multiple Selke winner with a bit of offensive pop, rather than as a spinto scoring line LW who'd be, at even-strength, the most offensively anemic scoring line Winger in your entire division.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I think I would put Pilote with Langway, but not 100% sure. Would like to know what other people think. MacInnis and Lutchenko strike me as "all-arounders" at even-strength, whereas Langway/Pilote have a more pronounced style of play towards defense/puck-handling respectively. To be fair, I think all combinations would work here.
FWIW, I agree. The MacInnis reputation is that he became more zone-responsible with maturity- so he's not as much in need of 'The Secretary of Defense' as Pilote.
Horner on a 1st pairing is... risky.

I would jam the 1st pairing with Cleghorn-Stewart, and find whoever you can get to play with Zubov on the 2nd pairing, be it Horner or somebody else.
S. Cleghorn-Horner, or S. Cleghorn-Jack Stewart. You're racking up the PiMs either way, so I'd go with the thing that harms the 2nd pairing least.

Wouldn't want to try to run Zubov-Horner. Two RHS-RDs on a Top-4 rotation. No bueno.

Chet Donnelly

Mar 31, 2023
Frank Mahovlich - Phil Esposito - Rod Gilbert
Busher Jackson - Henri Richard - Gordie Drillon

This is my top six. Should I switch Mahovlich and Jackson? Or leave it as is?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Frank Mahovlich - Phil Esposito - Rod Gilbert
Busher Jackson - Henri Richard - Gordie Drillon

This is my top six. Should I switch Mahovlich and Jackson? Or leave it as is?

Can you be more specific? What are the differences between Mahovlich and Jackson. Which parts of their skill sets are you unsure about being a better fit with your two sets of C-RWs?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Shero

Kariya - Clarke - G. Anderson
Crawford - Carbonneau - Finnigan
Propp - Hawerchuk - ?

Robinson - H. Stuart
Wilson - S. Mantha

Vezina

Checking line is certainly passable. I don't think you'll get much out of them offensively at all, but they're more than fine on the defensive side. I would want a strong defensive player on the right side of the 4th line.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Checking line is certainly passable. I don't think you'll get much out of them offensively at all, but they're more than fine on the defensive side. I would want a strong defensive player on the right side of the 4th line.
Ok, so I can just flip Propp back and get a scorer at RW... drafted Bondra, so:

Kariya - Clarke - G. Anderson
Propp - Carbonneau - Finnigan
Crawford - Hawerchuk - Bondra

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
My defensive pairings, should I change anything;

Sprague Cleghorn-Jiri Bubla