ATD 2022 DRAFT THREAD I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Thanks, @VanIslander for taking care of that pick for me. Good defense and playmaking for the second line.

Doug-Gilmour-Maple-Leafs-landscape.jpg

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ebbie Goodfellow

ebbie-goodfellow-1933-34-opc-52.jpg

Adjusted: 6-3, 210
HHOF
Hart Trophy voting finishes: 1st, 3rd, 4th (center)
All-Star: 1st, 1st, 2nd

Stanley Cup winner: 1936, 1937, 1943 (Detroit)

Style: all-around player, coverage, speed, rush, bodycheck, hands, shot, fight.

VsX comparable to Clapper on D:
Jim Robson Division Finals (1) Pittsburgh AC vs (3) Arizona Coyotes

Montreal Gazette - 2/4/1937 said:
After a scoreless first period, Ebbie Goodfellow turned a seeming Red wing handicap - a penalty to Hec Kilrea - into an advantage in the fifth minute of the second period. On a lone rush, Goodfellow, all-star defenseman and rated one of the best all-around hockey players in the league, catapulted a terrific screened drive from right wing, beating Wilf Cude, who never saw the shot until too late, into the far corner.
Calgary Herald - 18/9/1940 said:
Xxx, manager of the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League, announced on Wednesday that Ebbie Goodfellow, the team's star defenseman, would "succeed me in running the team" for the 1940-41 season.
He was a member of two Detroit teams that won the Stanley Cup in successive years and was a driving force in the victories. The Wings won the Cup in 1925-36 (sic); 1936-37. They also won the NHL championship those two seasons.
Ottawa Citizen - 24/12/1931 said:
Goodfellow was born in Ottawa 24 years ago. He weighs 175 lbs., is a long-striding skater, a talented stickhandler, and packs one of the best shots in hockey.
Evening Independent - 15/10/1941 said:
Ebbie Goodfellow, whose idea of tact in a hockey game was to skate up to an opponent and knock him flat,
Saskatoon Star Phoenix - 14/4/1942 said:
One Punch Fighter: Goodfellow, long known as the "best one-punch fighter in hockey's history", takes command as the Detroiters again seek to seize the elusive fourth victory to close out the series with the Leafs.​

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Was going to make my pick when I got back to town, but I’m having some car trouble, so I’ll grab Marcel Pronovost and get my books in order later.

had trouble between him and ebbie. Got the impression that Ebbie was maybe a bit more solid defensively that he could handle first pair minutes? There's not a lot on Pronovost out there.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Here are the results of my initial research into Busher Jackson's career. I'll trim the quotes as much as possible (and provide links to source documents), so as not to waste anybody's time. Undrafted names are omitted:

2 Feb 1937, 19 - The Montreal Star at Newspapers.com
Time marches on as it always does. Came the evening when Jackson, decked out in a Leaf sweater, found himself opposite Hooley Smith. Hooley operated a rib nudging stick on the big S line, the turbulent trio who were the toast of the town at the time.

They met and clashed. "Hello, sonny boy, fancy meeting you here," was the greeting that Busher flipped as Runnymede and Balmy Beach exchanged pleasantries that were rib-tickling to say the least.

They had a right merry joust. After the game the Big S trio paused in their ablutions. They had noticed the youngster a bit. "Fresh mug, but he can take it," they agreed. They knew because they had tried him out a little in their playful fashion. They always knew who could and who couldn't take it. Charming people.

11 Apr 1932, 8 - The Sun Times at Newspapers.com
Harvey 'Busher' Jackson, youngest player in the league and just about the smartest, is the goal-getting hero of the Toronto club. The youthful 'Battling Busher', as he is termed, rammed home plenty of goals in the first Ranger game after failing to click in the Chicago and Maroon series, and he kept it right up. He played a sweet game on Saturday night.

1 Apr 1932, Page 13 - Detroit Free Press at Newspapers.com
Jackson is only 22 years old, but already is one of the most finished puck carriers in the game. He is lightning fast, as aggressive as they come, and is equipped with a fine physique. He is a great team player, as his record of 28 goals and 25 assists attest, and he has the competitive spirit.
A cocky, confident and aggressive kid as a junior, Jackson had (Busher) tagged in front of his name because of his cockiness. He is as willing and courageous as they come - a cock-sure, but level-headed kid who knows and plays a lot of hockey, and one of the reasons why the Leafs are favored to oust the Maroons from the Stanley Cup finals.

11 Jan 1943, 6 - The Boston Globe at Newspapers.com
Back in action after a six weeks convalescence with an injured knee, xxx must have felt that the boys were sorry to see him. If his knee stood up under the checks xxx and Busher Jackson handed him, it must be cured.

2 Feb 1931, 14 - The Windsor Star at Newspapers.com
Then the Leafs had their big chance to stow the game away. Jackson won a fight for a loose puck back of the Detroit net and snapped it out to xxx. xxx had only xxx to beat and wasn't six feet from the goal. But he took too much time getting set for a shot and xxx tore in to check him before he got it away.

17 Nov 1943, 18 - The Boston Globe at Newspapers.com
Bruins got a 1-0 jump in the opening period when Busher Jackson fought into the corner and battled out a loose puck. xxx skated right into it and flicked it high into the corner past xxx.

19 Nov 1937, 14 - The Gazette at Newspapers.com
The officials called the blueline offsides and the interference , and they caught xxx's elbow smash at Joliat, but they let plenty of tackling - which xxx features - and plenty of charging and stick-work go unpunished.

Busher Jackson, for instance, in the course of a dashing game, whirled around with a chip on his shoulder, charging and high-sticking.

26 Jan 1942, 6 - The Boston Globe at Newspapers.com
No penalty was meted out until xxx tried to give Busher Jackson the business and came out second best on all counts...xxx not only went to the hoosegow, but struck the back of his head on the ice during the tangle with the cagey Busher.

...and finally, definite confirmation about Jackson's poor checking:

28 Dec 1940, 10 - The Montreal Star at Newspapers.com
One of our favorite hockey characters is Busher Jackson...he is going good again...the Busher might have come here but xxx vetoed the idea...he likes Busher, but thinks he will not play hockey much longer...Jackson is a high-salaried man too and from here on when Canucks pay big money they want to be sure that there will be a sure kickback in goals and back-checking from forwards...Busher good on the march, but not so hot on the back check.

----------------------------

There's more stuff about Busher getting into fights and such (including once with some police officers who came onto the ice to break up a line brawl), but I don't really care about that stuff, though it may make it into an updated bio of Jackson.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I wish the old Toronto papers made it into the archive I've been searching, but it is not to be. Anyway, the above is what I found in a couple hours searching non-hometown sources about Jackson.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
It was brought up a few times in the HoH section, in reference to Mario Lemieux I think, and probably using as an example his famous goal against the North Stars, how the ability to receive a pass―without losing a beat and regardless of its accuracy―is an underrated skill and a sign of quality in a player.

I found interesting info on Busher Jackson's ability to do just that.

From his linemate Charlie Conacher:

And from a 1935 article by Ted Reeve:

Dink Carroll also mentioned Jackson “had mastered the art of picking up a pass on his skates.”

The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search

Reactions: BenchBrawl

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Texarkana Bandits will select a pair of former team mates.

ReasonableAdmiredCow-size_restricted.gif

C #91 Sergei Fedorov

50189249_FjZcgL-ABkZXAp9Nhh6lyee36i2capTsC688JngJekw.jpg

LW #20 Luc Robitaille

I strongly considered Fedorov when I picked Malone. Sergei's my top candidate so far for "player who was always drafted a little early finally going where he should." In the end, I decided that Malone's greater offensive upside did more for my team than Sergei's two way game.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That's who I PM'd two GMs to pick, met with deaf ears. Dang.

Pronovost is likely a strong pick here - the biggest issue with him is that nobody who drafted him any time recently has ever made a bio - he's one of the rare guys who doesn't even have a single bio in the master bio thread. For whatever reason, I also remember him being a bit difficult to research when we tried to do so during the HOH defensemen project. So it's a little hard to get a handle on his skillset. I used to think of him as a high-risk high-reward guy, but he actually did pretty well for himself in that 1958 coach's poll for "best defensive defenseman" that Harvey otherwise dominated.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tabness

GUCCY (pray for GAZA)
Apr 4, 2014
Texarkana Bandits will select a pair of former team mates.

ReasonableAdmiredCow-size_restricted.gif

C #91 Sergei Fedorov

Fedorov had been slipping down so much I started to plan around taking him at 122. I even considered him at 100. He even owns/owned some real nice joints in Bloomfield Hills (in retrospect, I shoulda planned on taking him from the get go when using this team name lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad