ATD 2021 REDUX

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Kamloops Blazers are proud to select, from Hamilton, Ontario, five times Vezina trophy winner and the only player to won the Conn Smythe before the Calder, Ken Dryden.

upload_2021-7-21_9-42-0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Most consecutive seasons as a Norris finalist:

Bobby Orr: 9 (1967-1975)
Ray Bourque: 7 (1990-1996)
Pierre Pilote: 6 (1962-1967)
Nicklas Lidstrom: 6 (1998-2003)
Doug Harvey: 5 (1954-1958)
Brad Park: 5 (1970-1974)
Denis Potvin: 5 (1975-1979)
Larry Robinson: 5 (1977-1981)
Victor Hedman: 5 (2017-2021)
Red Kelly: 4 (1954*-1957) *first season of the award
Ray Bourque: 4 (1982-1985)
Nicklas Lidstrom 4: (2006-2009)

Yes, Bourque and Lidstrom had streaks of 4+ seasons twice.

I'll pick Victor Hedman.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Drew Doughty D

I can see only two reasons why you'd pick him over Hedman:

1) Better partner for Coffey?
2) You wanted to play the anti-homer and see where Hedman would go if you didn't take him? (I've done this one before)

(I don't think it's clearcut which one of them is better as of now).

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Most consecutive seasons as a Norris finalist:

Bobby Orr: 9 (1967-1975)
Ray Bourque: 7 (1990-1996)
Pierre Pilote: 6 (1962-1967)
Nicklas Lidstrom: 6 (1998-2003)
Doug Harvey: 5 (1954-1958)
Brad Park: 5 (1970-1974)
Denis Potvin: 5 (1975-1979)
Larry Robinson: 5 (1977-1981)
Victor Hedman: 5 (2017-2021)
Red Kelly: 4 (1954*-1957) *first season of the award
Ray Bourque: 4 (1982-1985)
Nicklas Lidstrom 4: (2006-2009)

Yes, Bourque and Lidstrom had streaks of 4+ seasons twice.

I'll pick Victor Hedman.

Make me wait 11 hours and then stab me in the throat. What are you a hedge fund?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

2) You wanted to play the anti-homer and see where Hedman would go if you didn't take him? (I've done this one before)

I think Doughty is a better partner for Coffey, didn't Coffey primarily play the left side?

In terms of comparing the two, it feels like they're about even in peak and playoffs, but I would give a slight edge to Doughty for longevity, he started a season earlier than Hedman, was his team's #1 as a Rookie, and a Norris Finalist as a sophomore. Just feels like he has been one of the best Dmen in the league for longer than Hedman, although I wonder if it took Hedman longer to get recognized because he was not on a high profile team.

Hedman is certainly better right now, so if you're projecting (which we aren't), it's likely Hedman closes that gap.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think Doughty is a better partner for Coffey, didn't Coffey primarily play the left side?

In terms of comparing the two, it feels like they're about even in peak and playoffs, but I would give a slight edge to Doughty for longevity, he started a season earlier than Hedman, was his team's #1 as a Rookie, and a Norris Finalist as a sophomore. Just feels like he has been one of the best Dmen in the league for longer than Hedman, although I wonder if it took Hedman longer to get recognized because he was not on a high profile team.

Hedman is certainly better right now, so if you're projecting (which we aren't), it's likely Hedman closes that gap.

Didn't Doughty kind of fall off a cliff when LA started to get bad? If so, while he gains longevity at the front end of their careers, I feel he has started to lose it on the back end. At least longevity as a top player.

Oh yes, I agree that Doughty is a better partner for Coffey than Hedman would have been. RD, plus less of a puck handler.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Didn't Doughty kind of fall off a cliff when LA started to get bad? If so, while he gains longevity at the front end of their careers, I feel he has started to lose it on the back end. At least longevity as a top player.

Oh yes, I agree that Doughty is a better partner for Coffey than Hedman would have been. RD, plus less of a puck handler.

Yeah, what you hear is Doughty seems to not care at times, particularly when his team is not playing well. He should get dinged for that, but it also feels like if he were on a contender he’d be one of the best Dmen in the league. Maybe I’m not punishing him enough, after all a truly great player would put his team on his shoulders right?

Edit: I would not be surprised if he plays very well for Team Canada

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yeah, what you hear is Doughty seems to not care at times, particularly when his team is not playing well. He should get dinged for that, but it also feels like if he were on a contender he’d be one of the best Dmen in the league. Maybe I’m not punishing him enough, after all a truly great player would put his team on his shoulders right?

Edit: I would not be surprised if he plays very well for Team Canada

From what I hear he cleaned up his act after having a kid. I remember TV spot with him when they went over to his apartment and it was a mess and he had his shirt off and he wasn't fit at all and not even embarrassed by it but was playing Elite hockey at the time so I guess it didn't matter.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Better partner and a bit of trying not to be a homer for once.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Doughty is a player that turns it on and off depending on the game. Playing for a team he knows won't make the play-offs is less than ideal. Even so, the other NHL players think he's still elite.

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Doughty is a player that turns it on and off depending on the game. Playing for a team he knows won't make the play-offs is less than ideal. Even so, the other NHL players think he's still elite.

Same is probably true of Chicago players and many players in history. Not sure you penalize heavily for that..

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There's norhing sweeter than having your top-2 picks in a round still available for your squad with one looooong awaiting pick to go!

Take your time @Claude The Fraud

(7.5 hours into your 12 hour clock)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I will finish my Friday shift at work just under three hours into my clock at the latest. So, expect 1 or 2 picks for sure within 9 hours of now.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dang, Claude has 1 hour left on his clock but i am mid-shift at work.

No hurry i guess.

It'll be Friday at 8pm here when i finish work and a couple of beers with coworkers is par for the course thereafter.

I'll decide before bed. There are two this round i have been heeming and humming over since predraft.

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Sorry for the delay…

The Kamloops Blazers are proud to select, from Montreal, Quebec, former Conn Smythe trophy winner and eight time Stanley Cup champion, «Le Sénateur», Serge Savard.

19-the-big-3-composed-of-larry-robinson-serge-savard-and-guy-lapointe-forum-1977_c2a9paul-henri-talbot-la-presse.jpg

Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Phantom Joe is a Silver Knight.
Montreal Gazette said:
Tall, rugged and a great stickhandler, he was also a potent defensive unit. He had a fine poke-check,... Malone swept through the opposition with long, swinging strides.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad