ATD 2016: Draft Thread III

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Just because it's not someone's intention doesn't mean voting publicly won't have an effect on someone else's voting, even if on a subconscious level. Maybe it won't, but we don't know that for sure. With private voting there's no chance of it.

Of that I won't argue. There's always a chance that this would happen.

Honestly, what I kinda hope for from public voting is discussion about the teams involved from voters. It gives voters a chance to debate amongst each other about which team is better as well as giving the GMs involved in each series something to focus on with respect to their own arguments. A voter might come up with some points that a GM from a specific team never would have thought of.

Obviously this only works if:

A) the voters vote well before the deadline
B) the voters actually have motivation to debate each and every series

Probably unrealistic, but it would be nice to see it happen.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Of that I won't argue. There's always a chance that this would happen.

Honestly, what I kinda hope for from public voting is discussion about the teams involved from voters. It gives voters a chance to debate amongst each other about which team is better as well as giving the GMs involved in each series something to focus on with respect to their own arguments. A voter might come up with some points that a GM from a specific team never would have thought of.

Obviously this only works if:

A) the voters vote well before the deadline
B) the voters actually have motivation to debate each and every series

Probably unrealistic, but it would be nice to see it happen.

Can't this be achieved by just posting what questions you have about both teams?..off the top of my head we've seen Sturm, TDMM, and Johnny Engine do that this year (and I'm probably forgetting a couple others too). Sometimes this sparked conversation, other times not, depending on how responsive the GM's involved were and your point B about other voters contributing

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Can't this be achieved by just posting what questions you have about both teams?..off the top of my head we've seen Sturm, TDMM, and Johnny Engine do that this year (and I'm probably forgetting a couple others too). Sometimes this sparked conversation, other times not, depending on how responsive the GM's involved were and your point B about other voters contributing

Yeah that would work too. I repeatedly asked people for questions about my own series and I think only TDMM stepped up to that.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009

This.
We only get good voting results if we actually consider what we're voting for, and we do that best if we talk about it.
In some cases, I posted my questions out of frustration - they weren't always great questions, but something needed to be said to keep the thread going, and make sure there was enough to judge each team on.

I didn't vote in the conference finals. There was discussion in each series, but my head wasn't in it at all (also, sorry about the O6 vote, VI, same thing). I was outside of the city recording music for 10 days straight. That's not a sob story about being too busy. There was plenty of time where I was just drinking coffee on the back deck, staring into space and thinking through creative stuff. But I didn't watch a single hockey game, NHL or IIHF, or even really follow any of it. I checked in for updates on the ATD forum before going to bed each evening, but I never found myself at the point where I'd think "yes, I've absorbed the information I need, I'll vote now".

Anyway, that's not a scenario that's going to happen very often. But I think the point I was trying to get at is that engagement is the name of the game. Perhaps it would be good to ask GMs who didn't argue their cases strongly, why they disengaged from the process. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
When a key player falls into "good enough in the minds of people while being picked in the 7-8th round you are never going to see Roy or Hasek win the ATD.

When you have someone like Fuhr or Parent and is up against someone like Sawchuk or Hall I imagine, correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of people are thinking in the lines of "Fuhr won't lose this series so goaltending is a non-factor".

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I can also add that personally I feel that any extra edge on goaltending is a big deal imo, since you are trying to make saves against Lemieux, Richard, Lafleur etc. Not that I think anyone will confuse Fuhr for being as good as Hasek, I have a feeling that Hasek just has the better chances of stealing a game than Fuhr against players like the ones above.

Quite frankly, if there is any position that I think can be filled with someone "good enough", it's actually on defense. I hold good defense very high, but more on depth rather than elite talent.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Really, if the ATD is going to be this geared towards the playoffs, Fuhr should go higher than he does.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him spike next year, get crapped all over, and then do a slow backwards slide over the next few drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad