Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Do you really think people vote against you because they dont like you or something? You always seem to put together a spectacular first line and then suffer when it comes to the depth of the roster.

No why would u not like me mb why would I not like u

Seems silly

Feel free to Look at my roster n tell me where it is lacking

Why don't u. All want public voting year in n year out t show voting trends. I want transparency

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No why would u not like me mb why would I not like u

Seems silly

Feel free to Look at my roster n tell me where it is lacking

Why don't u. All want public voting year in n year out t show voting trends. I want transparency

LOL.

I LOVE you, but when it comes time to vote I simply call it like I see it. Where did I think your roster was lacking? TDMM already critiqued you about your bottom 6 being composed of all 4th liners pretty much.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It's funny in my critique I got good marks

I still think voting should be public to show pattern

I think this is maybe your best team ever, LL, but it does have its flaws. Specifically, you've got a low-end coach, and I think you put weak wingers around Igor Larionov. Other than that, I really like this season's Maple Leafs, and I had you higher (5th) than you ultimately finished.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
This is from a rookie perspective but I can understand that it's frustrating if your team is considered better than the team one did last year, yet finishing worse in the division rankings.

I guess that it can come down to two things, first is parity which several people has expressed that this is something this year's ATD definitely got. Second of all, despite how vocal and positive 2~ people are about a certain team during the assassination, the remaining voters (up to 30 I guess) might be more sceptical about a team and I don't know how many #1 votes the top contenders got but it boils down to parity once again.

Something I can add though is that some picks and team's efforts in general seems be treated as expansion teams or something which I find unnecessary.

Another thing that would be fun to know but people won't admit it (but probably visible when looking at votes) is if people down vote another team because they had an argument with that team or perhaps try to get a good team to face off against a team voted as an average team to try and get that better team a chance to lose before they get a chance at facing off later in the playoffs.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Something I can add though is that some picks and team's efforts in general seems be treated as expansion teams or something which I find unnecessary.

I don't think any team is treated as an "expansion team" in the sense that it is viewed in a negative light independent of its roster. Some teams are certainly stronger than others, but there is no inherent prejudice against rookie GMs here that I've ever seen.

It is certainly true that the ATD is unforgiving to rookie GMs, but this is due to the extremely large volume of information that one must process, and the high level of planning, flexibility and (most importantly) original research necessary to execute a successful draft strategy. All of the veterans will tell you that they took their lumps as rookies (I did, too), and that their teams have gotten stronger over time as they have mastered the system.

It's easy to underestimate going in just how difficult it is to win or even finish high in the draft, but the truth is that you are swimming with sharks here.

Another thing that would be fun to know but people won't admit it (but probably visible when looking at votes) is if people down vote another team because they had an argument with that team or perhaps try to get a good team to face off against a team voted as an average team to try and get that better team a chance to lose before they get a chance at facing off later in the playoffs.

The voters are humans. The things you mention have always existed to some extent in the ATD and probably always will. There's no sense dwelling on this issue, and at any rate, we're only halfway through the process thus far in 2015. One thing that has been proven again and again is that the ATD process (which includes the playoffs) does a very good job of separating the wheat from the chaff in any given year. The conference finalists are almost always teams of extremely high quality, and the champions almost always fully deserving. I've only ever had serious reservations about one ATD champion since I've been affiliated with the draft, but I'm not going to dig that up right now.

It might comfort you to know that the tiebreakers we use in the playoffs take the possibility of conflicts and rivalries into account. If the teams in a series are tied in terms of win/loss picks, the first tiebreaker is number of games required to win (the voters pick not only who wins and loses, but also in how many games). If this is also tied, we look at cross-conference voting (ie. voters from the other conference) as the third tiebreaker up to the finals, and in the finals the third tiebreaker consists of voting from all franchises which have not faced the finalists in the playoffs. It is impossible to completely eliminate the possibility of humans doing human things in the voting process, but we do our best to reduce the likelihood of it affecting outcomes.

Even if you are eliminated in the first round, do yourself a favor and stick with the draft to the end, observe the process, and take part in it. Your vote counts just as much as anyone else's, and you may learn to appreciate the process a bit more once you've seen it all the way through to its conclusion. The playoff debates can get pretty intense.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Cheers man.

Worth noting though is that I am not sulking or talking about myself in any way. I am mostly here for the draft itself (since I don't enjoy debating) but I will obviously stay around for the rest of the ATD. Doesn't matter to me if I am a first round exit or gets to sniff at the cup.

Not exactly sure how long the ATD proccess is, but I will be going away on the 17th this month on vacation. Back on 2nd of May.

Either way, it's been fun and I'll stick around for the next year's ATD too.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think this is maybe your best team ever, LL, but it does have its flaws. Specifically, you've got a low-end coach, and I think you put weak wingers around Igor Larionov. Other than that, I really like this season's Maple Leafs, and I had you higher (5th) than you ultimately finished.

I love Goulet Lemieux Kurri that is a ridiculously sick line.

You're right though, the drop off to the second line is pretty steep.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Would anyone be against me publicly disclosing who I vote for and why in the series threads?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Would anyone be against me publicly disclosing who I vote for and why in the series threads?

Everyone you're voting against. :laugh:

But yeah, in all seriousness, I don't think this would be appreciated, nor has it ever been done. It could be viewed as unduly influencing the result. In theory, someone who's on the fence, or a noob looking to be pointed in a direction, could read your post and use it to decide.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Everyone you're voting against. :laugh:

But yeah, in all seriousness, I don't think this would be appreciated, nor has it ever been done. It could be viewed as unduly influencing the result. In theory, someone who's on the fence, or a noob looking to be pointed in a direction, could read your post and use it to decide.

I wouldn't post my vote or rationalle until after the series is concluded.

As far as it never being done before, I don't see why that should be a barrier. I wouldn't be against full public disclosure. I imagine the loser of a series especially would be very interested to know why, so they can improve upon their performance in the following season.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I'll start accepting votes for the first round at midnight Eastern Standard Time tonight. The voting will remain open until midnight Eastern Standard Time on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad