ATD 2015 - Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Sorry again guys. I don't know why, but my turn seems to come up in the middle of the night every single time.

The Anaheim axe's are proud to select #91 C Steven Stamkos

I feel that we have seen enough Stammer to realize how good he can be. Steven will be fortifying our PP and most likely will be the trigger man after Phil gets off the ice. Not sure if I should even consider them together on PP, or just leave Phil to handle the #1 PP and Stammer take the lead on #2.

nhl_a_lightn_cr_1296x729.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry again guys. I don't know why, but my turn seems to come up in the middle of the night every single time.

The Anaheim axe's are proud to select #91 C Steven Stamkos

I feel that we have seen enough Stammer to realize how good he can be. Steven will be fortifying our PP and most likely will be the trigger man after Phil gets off the ice. Not sure if I should even consider them together on PP, or just leave Phil to handle the #1 PP and Stammer take the lead on #2.

nhl_a_lightn_cr_1296x729.jpg

I looked at him with my last pick, not sure how to deal with his resume.Still not sure at all.Now of course during his time in the league his resume is amazing and better than pretty much any players drafted now, but his career is severely incomplete.

I think if he had a very deep, dominant playoff run I would have been less hesitant.Interested in what other GMs think about Stamkos at this point.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I looked at him with my last pick, not sure how to deal with his resume.Still not sure at all.Now of course during his time in the league his resume is amazing and better than pretty much any players drafted now, but his career is severely incomplete.

I think if he had a very deep, dominant playoff run I would have been less hesitant.Interested in what other GMs think about Stamkos at this point.

I see it coming down to sample size. Stamkos has a solid resume as being one of the better players in the league. It's not looking like he will drop off from the planet and I would think he is going to end up as the 2nd best goal-scorer of his time. Only behind Ovechkin.

I encourage you to leave a list if possible. It would help to avoid this. It will be especially important once the clock gets even shorter.

I will do so. It's just that I have usually tried to look up if the next night is crucial. I've been underestimating how fast the pick's go.

In the future, I will leave a list. Tony has asked me for it already. Sorry for the hold-up.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I see it coming down to sample size. Stamkos has a solid resume as being one of the better players in the league. It's not looking like he will drop off from the planet and I would think he is going to end up as the 2nd best goal-scorer of his time. Only behind Ovechkin.

We don't give players credit for things they haven't done yet when evaluating them in the ATD.

I don't disagree with you, but that's just how it is.Regardless, Stamkos resume on it's own is starting to get up there very fast with each passing years.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
We don't give players credit for things they haven't done yet when evaluating them in the ATD.

I don't disagree with you, but that's just how it is.Regardless, Stamkos resume on it's own is starting to get up there very fast with each passing years.

I know. I am hoping for easy treatment for Stamkos. I'm going to see how people treat him when the chips are down.

You think he might be a weak pick? Obviously not due to his abilities, but the lack of resume.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I know. I am hoping for easy treatment for Stamkos. I'm going to see how people treat him when the chips are down.

You think he might be a weak pick? Obviously not due to his abilities, but the lack of resume.

Not a weak pick, but you'll have a battle to defend him regardless. Treat him as if he died tomorrow.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Not a weak pick, but you'll have a battle to defend him regardless. Treat him as if he died tomorrow.
Indeed. How would his career be seen 50 years from now if he had a career-ending injury tomorrow?

As a center, there are at least a few more deserving pivots.

So, what I'm saying is: It isn't a great pick given options but certainly it's not a bad pick. Stamkos as a less experienced 2nd liner ought to hold his own, in the regular season at least.

If the pick had waited two more rounds, it'd be a clearly good pick. Certainly he could have fallen one more round, couldn't he? Did anyone have him queued up?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't say weak as much as I would say "special", as is always the case when you draft active players with few, but dominant seasons under their belt.Their value might vary greatly depending who you're talking to, and you have to defend him more than a traditionnal pick.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Quebec Picks:
Steve Shutt LW
P199303S.jpg

From Velociraptor's Bio:

- inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1993.
- 5-time Stanley Cup Champion (1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979)
- Played in the NHL All-Star Game 3 times (1976, 1978, 1981)
- scored 424 goals and 393 assists for 817 points in 930 games, adding 410 penalty minutes.
- scored 50 goals and 48 assists for 98 points in 99 games, adding 65 penalty minutes.
- Top-10 in All-Star Voting 6 Times (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th)
- 1-time Member of the NHL First All-Star Team (1977)
- 2-time Member of the NHL Second All-Star Team (1978, 1980)
- Career +410

Top 10 Finishes:
Goals - 4x - (1st, 3rd, 8th, 10th)
Points - 1x - (3rd)
Plus/Minus - 4x - (3rd, 3rd, 6th, 7th)
Powerplay Goals - 2x - (2nd, 3rd)
Game Winning Goals - 3x (1st, 5th, 9th)

In junior hockey he may have been a one trick pony, but the Montreal Canadiens were sure to develop him into a complete player. After all, there was no way he could play on the top line with Guy Lafleur all those years had he not been able to contribute in every zone on the ice.

Originally Posted by Scotty Bowman

Steve has a lovely touch in the goal area, He always did. That's why we drafted him from Toronto Juniors in 1972. He's a natural scorer. What he has done, in the years he's been with us, is develop the other parts of his game like checking, skating and passing, so that he's made himself into a well rounded player.

During his rookie season in 1972-73, Shutt played well on a deep club that went on to win the Stanley Cup. He continued to progress the following year before breaking out with 30 goals in 1974-75 while playing on a line with XXXX XXXXXXXXX and Guy Lafleur. The big center Mahovlich was deceptively quick, and Lafleur's natural speed and style tormented the opposition. This gave Shutt sufficient room to fly up and down his wing and release his patented shots. He was also used effectively as the point man on the powerplay since he was able to direct the puck along the ice at high speeds. The trio was so successful that XXXXXXXXX set a Canadiens single-season record for a center with 117 points in 1974-75.

Shutt improved to 45 goals in 1975-76 and the Habs began a four-year Stanley Cup run. A few months later he helped his country win the inaugural Canada Cup. Shutt showcased a wide scoring arsenal, a superior wrist shot and slapshot, and cat-like reflexes that enabled him to tip shots from the point and pounce on rebounds.

In 1976-77, the fleet scorer was partnered with Jacques Lemaire and Guy Lafleur to form the top line in the NHL. Their offensive dominance helped Montreal post the greatest regular season in league history with an astonishing 60-8-12 record. That year Shutt led the NHL with 60 goals and in the process set a new league and team record for left wingers that remained the NHL standard until Luc Robitaille's 63-goal performance in 1992-93. Following the season, he was placed on the NHL's First All-Star Team.

The next year he helped Montreal win its third consecutive Cup by registering a personal best of nine goals and 17 points in the playoffs. Despite the end of the Habs Cup run, Shutt continued to shine.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Stammer's defiinitely a better pick now than he was when I picked him 2 years ago (as a spare...still got slack for it), and as far as I'm concerned, he's worthy.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Time now to review Day25 of the 2015 ATD where we saw 15 picks:

- Bobby Rousseau was picked. Solid selection for sure. Had visions of him being on Savard's wing and chipping in at other areas as well. Solid pick for sure.

-Herbie Lewis was picked; Solid selection, had I gone left wing this round it probably would have been Lewis.

-Bob Pulford was picked: When Rousseau went I toyed with picking Pulford, while Pulford's skill set wasn't what I wanted he's still a solid selection.

-Jeremy Roenick was picked: Another good pick, one of the better 2nd line centres out there.

-Leo Boivin was picked: Another good pick, thought of going with him when I went with Neilson.

Well those are my thoughts on Day 25, be back later today with my Day 26 thoughts.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our 9th selection, the 288th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Belfast Giants are puzzled to see this man still on the board, but are happy to select, from Lindsay, Ontario, Canada: centre Joe Primeau

LBT1932.jpg

----

With our 10th selection, the Belfast Giants complete their top-6 and select, from Ontario, Canada: Right Winger Irvine 'Ace' Bailey

bailey10.jpg

Joe Malone - Peter Stastny - Ace Bailey
Anatoli Firsov - Joe Primeau - Claude Provost

Pierre Pilote - Sylvio Mantha
Babe Pratt - XXX

Jacques Plante

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Ace Bailey was the guy I was hinting 60 picks ago when I took Claude Provost that I thought was a better fit, a better skillset, to play beside Malone and Stastny, but as Jarek pointed out, his short peak meant that I couldn't select him over Provost. Still available 60 picks later? I feel extremely fortunate!

As for Joe Primeau: not worthy to be taken that high last year (12X), but he should still probably slide somewhere in the late 100's. For a team like myself that waited until pick 97 to take my first forward, I need all the help I can find offensively and Primeau do own a fantastic offensive resume. I can understand why some people past on him for a more well-rounded, physically imposing, centre, but I'm absolutely thrilled to get him that late.

My top-6 looks much better than I ever thought it would of after picking up a D and a G with my first two selections!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad