ATD 2015 - Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
bryan-trottier1.jpg

With the 268th pick the Ottawa 67's are proud to select LW John Tonelli.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Now that I have selected Art Duncan, I wanted to ask the question. Why is there such a gap between Suchy and Duncan?

They both lead a major pro league in scoring. They both had a 4 or so year peak of being critical to the success of a successful team. They both had a full career of being solid but unspectacular players. I get why Suchy is above Duncan, I'd do the same. But 127 picks above, I don't get it.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
After making a tough decision, Quebec will reunite 2/3rds of the " Kraut Line"
Bobby Bauer: RW
bauerbos.jpg

Originally Posted by Vancouver Sun, Sep 17, 1964

Bobby Bauer was many things to many people. To his opponents of the late 30s and the early 40s, he was a gnat, a buzzing, flying, stinging gnat - too fast to swat, too tiny to hate and too skilled to ignore. To the Boston Bruins, he was the thinking part of the Kraut line.

Stanley Cup Champion (1939, 1941)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1946)
Second All-Star Team Left Winger (1939, 1940, 1941, 1947)
Lady Bing Trophy (1940, 1941, 1947)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1939, 1947)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1996)

Career Totals:
Games: 327
Goals: 123
Assists: 137
4X Top 10 in Goals ( 7th, 8th, 10th, 2nd)
2X Top 10 in Assists: (4th, 10th)
3X Top 10 in Points: (2nd, 9th, 7th)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i was very close to picking larionov with my last pick. i think he is generally overrated, but he was a great playmaker (definitely one of the best i have ever seen at soft passes that depend on timing) and almost as importantly, i think he's one of the best mentor players i can think of, which could be important for a moody and sensitive player like mahovlich. but i think mahovlich's sensitivity is probably highly related to his particular situation with TML.

alf smith is one of the players i hinted at when i picked bert olmstead. reg noble is another. i partly decided to take olmstead b/c i thought he was a more interesting player.

but i also picked olmstead b/c smith was an extremely dirty player. i already have lalonde and smith seems to have been even dirtier. in my 1st ATD, i picked hod stuart and read an article about violence in hockey which mentioned a 1907 game in which hod stuart was attacked by alf smith and his teammates. ottawa silver 7 decided to knock stuart out of the game by smashing him in the head.

noble was also highly penalized, though not as dirty, and was also undisciplined off the ice. he held out and then showed up to pre-season in detroit out of shape, for example.

OTOH, penalties were different long ago. penalties did not always in PPs long ago. the penalized player could be replaced, so the incentives to avoid penalties were not the same.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...noble was also highly penalized, though not as dirty, and was also undisciplined off the ice. he held out and then showed up to pre-season in detroit out of shape, for example. ...
That doesn't make him undisciplined, unless you're holding him to 2015 standards. No member of the Canadian 72 Summit Series team worked out in the off season. Look it up.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
That doesn't make him undisciplined, unless you're holding him to 2015 standards. No member of the Canadian 72 Summit Series team worked out in the off season. Look it up.
by out of shape i meant overweight and not ready to play.

HHOF site does not work for me right now for some reason, but, iirc, it mentions that noble would miss practices and other team events so he could do whatever things he preferred to do.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
still thinking, but i won't keep KF waiting.

Gonna take Cy Wentworth, D with my pick. Sorry for wait guys!
HHOF picked northcott as their playoff MVP in '35, but ottawa citizen said "wentworth was hailed as the hero of the series," and i have not seen a report from '35 that says northcott was the best player. that report said northcott was one of the stars of the series, though, and maybe his play vs NYR and chicago gave him the edge over wentworth.

Ok, Wentworth was one of two guys I was after.

The other one is Bob Goldham.
i saw some video from '55 in which goldham looked pretty fast rushing the puck into the offensive zone alongside F's.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
i saw some video from '55 in which goldham looked pretty fast rushing the puck into the offensive zone alongside F's.

I'd love to see that video, contemporary opinion does suggest that he had that element to his game.

Given the style that a team built around Kelly and Apps will have to play, having guys like Goldham and Savard as our stay-at-home types is a godsend - meatheads like Derian Hatcher simply wouldn't work. (with apologies to Mark Rander - Hatcher will be awesome for you, everyone has different needs)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
wanted to get goldham, but i'll take D mike ramsey.

was voted by his peers the best defensive d-man in the NHL in 1990. 2nd was brad mccrimmon and raymond bourque was 5th.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Pick 275

I'll round off my top four with an offensive threat who is also sound defensively.
Dan Boyle, D

Boyle is one of the better offensive d men over the past decade or so along with being pretty good in his own zone. Ragulin should be able to cover for Boyle if he skates the puck up ice. Coffey and Boyle should work wonders on the powerplay together.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Continuing to make us a tough team to play against, we're going to go with a guy who can score pretty well with his cannon, make plays, check, penalty kill and work his ass off:

Habs great RW, Bobby Rousseau

image.jpg

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
No worries, when I was looking at your roster and saw Lemaire there figured you'd go with Rousseau.

I was really torn between a few different guys for different reasons but I liked Rousseau's two-way play and playmaking to go with Lemaire.

I just need to get a burly left winger since Rousseau is smallish (not a tree trunk like St. Louis) and didn't like getting buried apparently. hahah

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not sure exactly how we're going to use him, but at the very least he should team up with Bobby Clarke to form a pretty dynamic 1st PK unit. Also, with so many strong right wingers in our division - Richard, Bossy, Geoffrion, and Mikhailov - it will be nice to know we have this match-up option available.

Bob Pulford

P199103S.jpg

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Not sure exactly how we're going to use him, but at the very least he should team up with Bobby Clarke to form a pretty dynamic 1st PK unit. Also, with so many strong right wingers in our division - Richard, Bossy, Geoffrion, and Mikhailov - it will be nice to know we have this match-up option available.

Bob Pulford
15 january 1966 Ottawa Citizen has a really good article about him.

i thought a lot about picking pulford, partly for the same reason i picked walker: played multiple positions.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Not sure exactly how we're going to use him, but at the very least he should team up with Bobby Clarke to form a pretty dynamic 1st PK unit. Also, with so many strong right wingers in our division - Richard, Bossy, Geoffrion, and Mikhailov - it will be nice to know we have this match-up option available. Bob Pulford...
Agreed. We have Howe, Jagr, and Makarov in our division so I like our last pick, unless someone thinks Luc Robitaille can handle them.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

If Noble was noted as being out of shape, we should assume that meant "more out of shape than the other players of his day", otherwise, what would be noteworthy about it?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Agreed. We have Howe, Jagr, and Makarov in our division so I like our last pick, unless someone thinks Luc Robitaille can handle them.

I'd use Tonelli in your top-6 rather than on a matchup line. There are plenty of defensive LWs out there still, and some of the guys you have up there need a Tonelli-type on their wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad