ATD 2014 - Draft Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
1) Generally accepted view
2) General profiles of Shadrin praise his penalty killing ability, and as far as I know, he's the only Soviet forward for which that is true. Kind of how Jiri Holik is the only 70s European winger whose two-way play is featured prominently in his profiles. Most of them are just 'blah blah, great technical player, gorgeous passer, skates like the wind, blah blah, look how many goals he scored"

Fine. I just thought that possibly the story on the 1976 Olympics had reached almost mythical proportions, and was one of the major reasons for his reputation.

I've seen a lot of USSR games from the 1970s, and while I haven't done any 'calculations', I feel confident to say that Petrov and Mikhailov killed penalties as much as any Soviet player, including Shadrin. Not that it would make them as good as/better than Shadrin at it.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
With pick #431, the Red Wings are pleased to add Ken Hitchcock, Coach.

I think he's a great fit for my team.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
With pick #431, the Red Wings are pleased to add Ken Hitchcock, Coach.

I think he's a great fit for my team.

He would definitely love having three centers, Stevens and Hasek like you have for sure.

You really built your team with a ton of strength down the middle but I worry about the level of offense you'll have compared to most teams and I'm not convinced about that D even though you have paired them pretty well.

Anyways I think Hitch was a great choice for your team.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
My apologies for the skipped pick. I was asleep and a. Didn't have a list to leave anyone and b. Didn't even realize I was in deck.

Anyway I'll take LW, Gilles Tremblay to form a familiar PK duo with Bobby Rousseau.

I don't want to bombard Jafar with PMs since it looks like 87 already alerted him.

Edit and yeah Jafar just picked.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Time to review Day 36, a day where we saw 15 picks made from 1 AM Est on Feb.24 to 1 AM EST on Feb.25

-Tom Barasso was picked; That now marks all 28 teams with #1 goalies, while Barasso was not the #1 goalie I was talking about earlier when I mentioned the #1 goalies that where left he's still a solid add to any team. Good pick.

-Eric Nesterenko is a good pick as well. Looking ahead I was targetting him for 1 of my next 2 picks to complete my checking line. Guy reads as the ultimate 3rd line right winger in this.

-Mike Babcock was picked as well. Thought of picking him when I went with Irvin. Still think Irvin's the better coach of course but with 2 Olympic Gold medals and being regarded as the best coach in the NHL for quite a long time now Babcock would have been a solid coach for any team.

-Another year of the ATD and I didn't get to pick Craig Ludwig. I didn't need him this year with having Mike Ramsey on the team but he's still a solid defensive guy for any team.

-Kirk Muller was picked; Another guy I always liked and I would have selected him probably had he lasted to me in this round, solid playmaker for sure.

Also a thank you to everyone who reads these, I think they're a nice snapshot of what has transpired over the past day for each day of the ATD, lots of great picks and many more to come as we approach Day 37 of the 2014 ATD.

Also with this thread rapidly approaching 1000 posts time could be ripe to start a new draft thread, I'm always around and can do it if anyone wants me to.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
His style of play is quite a departure from the sort of player you tend to favour, isn't it?

Not really, hes famed for his work with the Penguins, but his work with Calgary shaped them into the Wests best defensive team. His style of play is to let the talent determine the style of play. Given the strong leadership on the Scouts, a players coach makes sense, some one trying to whip them up or force them to be something wont help as much as someone guiding them to their best self.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The Edmonton Eskimos select Gennady Tsygankov, D

Club: CSKA Moscow
Position: D Shoots: Left
Height: 5'11'' Weight: 187 pounds
Born: 8/16/1947 in Vanino, USSR

USSR Elite League Clubs: CSKA, SKA Khabarovsk, SKA Leningrad
USSR Gold (9): 1970-1973, 1975, 1977-1980
World Championship Gold: 1971, 1973-1975, 1978-1979
Olympics Gold: 1972, 1976
Played in the Summit Series 72, Superseries 75-76, 76-77, 78-79, Challenge Cup 79

National Awards:
Merited Sports Master (USSR ZMS) 1972

Best players awards: (list of the best 18 - 40 players in the Soviet league, depending on year)
1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979

Best Player of the Year - Season MVP
1972 - 9th
1976 - 17th

2nd All Star Team:

Red's excellent bio

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Not really, hes famed for his work with the Penguins, but his work with Calgary shaped them into the Wests best defensive team. His style of play is to let the talent determine the style of play. Given the strong leadership on the Scouts, a players coach makes sense, some one trying to whip them up or force them to be something wont help as much as someone guiding them to their best self.

That's true, he was definitely a players coach.

I guess his cheerful optimism just doesn't mesh mentally for me with the mean grinders you seem to like so much haha

However, Calgary was never better than 10th in a 21 team league for goals against during his tenure, either.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
That's true, he was definitely a players coach.

I guess his cheerful optimism just doesn't mesh mentally for me with the mean grinders you seem to like so much haha

But they arent mean, the team isnt going to take a lot of penalties, but they are big strong and tough. I like to think of them as the knights of the round table, going to war for good, clean honest hockey. Men for whom the code isnt an excuse for violence, but something to be upheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad