ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
The Pittsburgh Bankers select G John "Bouse" Hutton.

...He was the back-up I wanted all along, An excellent peak, and a great money goalie too backup Sawchuk. I must say I pleasantly suprised to see him still available, I think he's been the BGA for awhile now.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
THE DRAFT IS COMPLETE

The following picks still need to be made:

770 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears - asked to be Skipped
794 Stoneberg & Croskinnon - Halifax Mooseheads - SKIPPED
797 markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks - SKIPPED
798 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers - SKIPPED
800 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears - - Pick needed

Now we take a full 10 days for lineup assassinations and jockeying among division rivals for the regular season standings. April 6 is when we will begin to take votes for the regular season. More details will be posted on voting as it gets closer to the time.

Add/drop can begin now. Unless anyone has any objections, let's say that you have until April 2 to add/drop players. Dropped players are not eligible to be added by another team, since there is no easy way to determine priority if multiple GMs want a guy.

Edit; And if you are planning on adding/dropping, it's in your best interest to do it sooner, rather than later, because if you wait too long, there's no guarantee that your revised lineup will be reivewed.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Please pm next up please

The next is VI, who is technically auto-skipped for having an outstanding pick, and there is nobody after him.

So the drafting phase is effectively over, except for the several picks that need to be made. And well done everyone - not a single GM is a round or more behind - first time I think that's ever happened.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I've been meaning to say that was the craziest round of the atd that I've seen. Many picks were quite questionabe but it was cool to see sum new names taken.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
I was going to drop a player but his replacement was picked in the last round. Can't find anyone comparable ....one guy was close but I can't find any real info on the guy other than his stats and honors.

I'm standing pat and heading to the assassination.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The next is VI, who is technically auto-skipped for having an outstanding pick, and there is nobody after him.
1. It's VanIslander & Hedberg. EVERY decision has been a well-consulted joint one, with lots of research by Hedberg.

2. We asked to be skipped, took NONE of our last clock, because we wanted to make two picks together now, at the end of the draft. Please give us our clock before the draft officially ends.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Drop RW Alexei Kovalev

Add: W Brian Bellows
He was a solid, consistent two way player
http://northstarslegends.blogspot.com/2012/08/brian-bellows.html

bellows.jpg

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site

I know it is only the 4th line but while Kovalev had some serious talent, he was infuriating at times....kind of reminded me of Billy Guerin, where you didn't know which player would show up.....the monster talent with serious sniper skills or the petulant jerk who took bad penalties at the wrong time.

Bellows adds more consistency without sacrificing too much offense......always wondered woulda, coulda, shoulda about him if he had had a stronger, more consistant supporting cast in his earlier years in Minnesota.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
1. It's VanIslander & Hedberg. EVERY decision has been a well-consulted joint one, with lots of research by Hedberg.

2. We asked to be skipped, took NONE of our last clock, because we wanted to make two picks together now, at the end of the draft. Please give us our clock before the draft officially ends.

My interest is seriously piqued....

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hershey drafts the duo of Andrei Khomutov and Slava Bykov, who finished 1st and 2nd in scoring and won gold in the 1992 Olympics after winning the world championships five times in the 1980's, together on the best line in the USSR in 1988 and 1990.

Khomutov bio:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52616269&postcount=6

Bykov bio:
ttp://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=53513601&postcount=87

sriimg20090316_10458599_0.jpg

International Hockey Legends said:
Bykov and Khomutov in particular had incredible chemistry together. They played a smooth, uninterrupted style of game. Their hockey truly was beautiful hockey, an absolute joy to watch. Their criss-crossing skating with dazzling passing displays dizzied the best of defenses and wore down the opponents. The only thing more nimble than their feet was their hands.

Their NHL rights were held by the sad-sack Quebec Nordiques. The Nords had brought over goaltender Sergei Mylnikov in 1989-90, but he had a terrible time, both on the ice and off of it. He fled from North America as soon as he could, returning to Russia with no kind words about the Nordiques or the NHL. The story has it Bykov and Khomutov listened to Mylnikov's horror stories and opted instead to play in the Alps Mountains of Switzerland. They were in the West, the money was good, the lifestyle and the country were amazing.

:youtube: Khomutov from Bykov against Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9AJhqJGBGQ

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Add: Emile Francis, assistant coach

X's and O's guy to team up with Quinn

Drop: Mike Green, D

I like Francis a lot for that role. He was a really smart hockey guy, but didn't always get the most from his players (most notably Jean Ratelle, who Francis apparently tired out during the regular season so he was spent for the playoffs). Quinn the motivator and guy in charge of handling the players, Francis the Xs and Os guy. It works

Certainly a different type of player than Kovalev and a more traditional 4th line type for sure.

Hershey drafts the duo of Andrei Khomutov and Slava Bykov, who finished 1st and 2nd in scoring and won gold in the 1992 Olympics after winning the world championships five times in the 1980's, together on the best line in the USSR in 1988 and 1990.

Khomutov bio:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52616269&postcount=6

Bykov bio:
ttp://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=53513601&postcount=87

sriimg20090316_10458599_0.jpg

:youtube: Khomutov from Bykov against Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9AJhqJGBGQ

Heh, figures you'd do this. My thoughts haven't changed since last MLD - Bykov is a very good pick at this point and I think you overrate Khomutov based off a small sample of high profile games.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Ridiculously long Glen Sather bio finally formatted and complete: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=62509415&postcount=239

Since I doubt many GMs actually read every bio thoroughly, I'll say that I think my Glen Sather and Rejean Houle bios are the two best I did this draft.

I thought the Houle bio was good, I think I even commented on how underrated he was also(?)

Will get to the Sather bio after I'm done fawning......er, editing my own bios.....:blush:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think you overrate Khomutov based off a small sample of high profile games.
Read the bio.

* 10-year veteran of the Red Army team (USSR league top goal scorer 1988; league MVP 1990);
* internationally, he scored 94 points in 116 games for the USSR team (twice 2nd in WC scoring).
* gold at the IIHF World Championships in 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, and 1993;
* gold in the 1984, 1988, and 1992 Winter Olympics (16 pts in 15 games)
* 9 pts in 9 games at two Canada Cup tourneys

khomutov-urss-90.jpg

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Tremendous pick, Bellows was on my radar for the MLD.

Camille Henry - Alexei Yashin - Brian Bellows

Eric Desjardins - Dit Clapper
Jean-Guy Talbot - Jimmy Watson
Lars-Erik Sjöberg - Dick Redmond

Tiny Thompson
John Vanbiesbrouck

Powerplay 1:
Camille Henry - Alex Delvecchio - Maurice Richard
Eric Desjardins - Dit Clapper

Powerplay 2:
Roy Conacher - Alexei Yashin - Ed Litzenberger
Jean-Guy Talbot - Lars-Erik Sjoberg
Thanks. I think his 2 way play will help his more offensive linemates and by admitting my mistakes I've been able to improve my bottom lines' defense and improve my power play.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Read the bio.

* 10-year veteran of the Red Army team (USSR league top goal scorer 1988; league MVP 1990);
* internationally, he scored 94 points in 116 games for the USSR team (twice 2nd in WC scoring).
* gold at the IIHF World Championships in 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, and 1993;
* gold in the 1984, 1988, and 1992 Winter Olympics (16 pts in 15 games)
* 9 pts in 9 games at two Canada Cup tourneys

khomutov-urss-90.jpg

From the bio you quoted:

Soviet League Finishes: 5, 6, T8, T12, 14, T14*, T15, T15
*1990 or after

Anyway, at this point, it's obvious we have to agree to disagree on this particular player, and I don't really feel like arguing about him yet again, and I don't think it matters since he's a Round 25 spare, and I don't think he's anything like the worst pick of the round. Anything else? :)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Soviet League Finishes: 5, 6, T8, T12, 14, T15, T15
You put too much stock in Russian and Czech domestic league scoring (against lower level competition). Plus, those are three top-10 points (not goals) finishes, and yet he twice led in goals there, didn't he?

Khomutov OFTEN excelled internationally against the NHL's best and Czechoslovakians for nearly a decade, from the 1981 Canada Cup onward. He was a 2nd liner on one of the best teams in the world, scoring time and again.

He is not a one-tourney or two-tourney wonder.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I like Francis a lot for that role. He was a really smart hockey guy, but didn't always get the most from his players (most notably Jean Ratelle, who Francis apparently tired out during the regular season so he was spent for the playoffs). Quinn the motivator and guy in charge of handling the players, Francis the Xs and Os guy. It works

Certainly a different type of player than Kovalev and a more traditional 4th line type for sure.

Heh, figures you'd do this. My thoughts haven't changed since last MLD - Bykov is a very good pick at this point and I think you overrate Khomutov based off a small sample of high profile games.

Yeah, as part of the team who drafted this duo last MLD, I think that A) Khomutov is somewhat reliant on Bykov, but not the other way around, and B) they're more "big fish in a small pond" players than they are extremely strong for this level in my opinion.

Again, they're spares so it doesn't really matter. But I think they're great in the MLD but rather suspect here.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Also after nabbing Sharp the Fireworks would like to drop Kirk Maltby for

LW Dennis Hextall

I didn't want to get involved in the whole Maltby dispute because:

a) He was the 24th pick. He wouldn't see too much action anyways and if he did he certainly wouldn't hurt you over a brief spell. His offense is almost non-existant but the way I see it, you can't play 1,200+ NHL regular and playoff games if you suck.....even in today's Original 30 league.

Adding Hextall:
b) Provides a little bit more punch in scoring and in.....well, punching. Some would say he's a loose cannon but if you check his playoff stats you could assume he seriously toned down in that category and paid close attention to his defensive game. Again, as the #24, he wouldn't see much action anyways and personally i'd use Patrick Sharp before him....I think Sharp would be a solid ATD 4th liner and seriously considered him myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad