ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Laraque strikes me as a bit too "by the code" for the ATD. There are guys in here who wouldn't hesitate cracking a stick over your skull, and you still have Georges walking around propositioning people...but only if they're "heavyweights".

Laraque in his prime wasn't propositioning nobody , in this new league where the competition will be tough the only role Laraque will have to do is prove himself all over again.He's just there in case my team gets in trouble against extreme violence where I would send Laraque to kick some ass.Who cares about your 7587th spare.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We'll have to draft somebody to deal with him.

The newest Alaskan is Stone Cold Steve Austin !!!

LOL wrestlers , bunch of juiced *******.

Laraque will handle his ass without any effort , he will even finish him with a stone cold stunner while the crowd is going wild.He'll even win the royal rumble even if he is the first to enter the ring.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Woit, Laraque, Ladd .... this is the Double-A Draft isn't? There surely are plenty more deserving that will go in the MLD and AAA. That is certain.

No VanI , based on merit and talent , no current available player was more deserving of a pick than Georges Laraque in my mind.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Stone Cold Steve Austin !!!

Awards and Achievements:
6 x WWF Heavyweight Champion (1998, 1998, 1999, 1999, 2001, 2001)
2 x WWF Intercontinental Champion (1997, 1997)
4 x WWF Tag-Team Champion (1997, 1997, 1998, 2001)

King of the Ring Winner (1996)
3 x Royal Rumble Winner (1997, 1998, 2001)

2 x WCW Heavyweight Champion (1993, 1994)
2 x WCW Television Champion (1991, 1992)
WCW Tag-Team Champion (1993)

Offensive Accomplishments:
Piledrivers – 1st(1997, 1st(1998), 1st(2001), 2nd(2000), 2nd(2002), 3rd(1999), 4th(1993), 4th(1996), 5th(1994), 5th(1995)
Spinebusters – 1st(1996), 1st(1997), 1st(1998), 1st(2001), 2nd(1999), 2nd(2000)
Vertical Suplexes – 1st(1997), 1st(1998), 2nd(1996), 2nd(1999), 2nd(2001), 3rd(2000), 4th(2002), 5th(1993), 5th(1994), 5th(1995)

Percentages:
Offensive Damage – 145(2001), 120(1997), 120(1998), 100(2000), 100(2002), 95(1999)

Best 6 Years: 680

man that actually look pretty good , who's in for a major Wrestling ATD?

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Woit's NHL career is pretty comparable to Barilko's, right? Some GMs like to give Barilko "what if" credit because of the tragedy, though.

Again, I'm not a fan of Bill Barilko in the ATD, but I always was under the impression that Barilko was a solid defenceman in his first four seasons in the league. Obviously, his magical overtime goal will always be his legacy, but if he had played an entire decade Barilko would probably be selected as a solid, bruising #5 defenceman in the ATD. Maybe I'm talking through my hat, but I always thought Barilko had solid skills, just not enough years under his belt.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
:clap: Great job.

Some day the two of them should together co-GM an ATD team instead of as assistants for other teams.

I was actually geting ready to pick someone else when I discovered this guy. The more I read the more I liked.....

The other guy had some very similar philosophies but then I read some interviews with him where his teams had come up against some physically tough competition and he sound distressingly whiney.

Gut his some disdain for the North American game but acknowledges it and has his players ready to deal with it, not P&M about it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Stoneberg and Croskinnon are skipped. I have HawkeyTown's pick:

Hawkey Town 18 said:
I'm going out for the night, so I probably won't be around for my pick. I know I already told you that I want to take Peter "Pekka" Lindmark. Here is the bio that I did on him. Can you please post it in the draft thread when you announce my pick? I will post it in the bio thread myself later in case I want to edit. I will be interested to see what people think of him. I am also curious to see what the ATD board Swedes have to say about his career path. It looks like on two separate occasions he played on teams in the second tier of the Swedish League, but then was able to get them to move up to the Elite League over time. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with his ability, as he was on the National Team the whole time. I am wondering if this is/was a common occurrence

And here's the bio:

lindmark.jpg

Peter “Pekka†Lindmark
Goalie
5’11â€
176lbs
Catches Left

Team Sweden – Canada Cup

Silver Medal: 1984
Semi-Finalist: 1987
Starting Goalie: 1981 (did not make medal round)

Team Sweden – World Championships
WC Best Goaltender: 1981, 1986
WC All Star: 1981, 1986
Gold Medal: 1987, 1991
Silver Medal: 1981, 1986, 1990

Team Sweden – Olympics

Bronze Medal: 1988

Izvestia Golden Stick Voting Finishes

3rd, 5th, 5th

Swedish Elite League

Golden Puck (League MVP): 1981
MVP by Players (like the Lindsay): 1987
1st Team All Star: 1981, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988
League Championship: 1986, 1988, 1992, 1994

Swedish Wikipedia (with google translate)
Club Career

Lindmark grew up in Kiruna and represented both of the city's leading team IFK Kiruna Kiruna AIF. The AIF struggled he among other things Gote Wälitalo to be leading goalkeeper. Pekka was recruited from IFK Kiruna series competitor Timra IK where he got his big break. Pekka debuted in the Tre Kronor is already a player in the then second highest series Division 1 and helped to put Timrå back to the Elite League. Sejouren in the top flight, however, was only one year. After Timrå degradation wrote Lindmark contract with Färjestads BK. Timrå and Farjestad did not agree on the transfer fee and Lindmark risked being suspended from all hockey as so-called one-year basis. The clubs finally agreed to Lindmark got to play with Timra and instead go to Farjestad free year after. Another teammate, Anders Wikberg, was in the same situation after Timrå not agree with MoDo HK about his transition. After intricacies around Wikberg and Lindmark modified Swedish Ice Hockey Federation its transition so that players do not risk shutting down.

The final season in Timra reached the team qualifiers advanced but not back to Elitserien. Instead, Lindmark to next seasons harvest great success with Färjestad where the highlights were two national championships for big games by Pekka. After four seasons in Karlstad was recruited Pekka a fierce betting Malmo IF in Division 1. With strongman President Percy Nilsson began Malmo IF a bet against the Elitserien, Sweden peak where a large number of really brilliant hockey stars were attracted to the club. The initiative was successful and Malmö took not only up but also managed to win two national championships during Pekka's spell at the club.

Lindmark did nine seasons in Malmö during the club's heyday but was in the end not obvious starter. Lindmark left the club and moved north to Piteå. He came to stand as a reserve goalkeeper in the booth in a match with Luleå HF and also had some leadership positions in the club.

National Team Career

Lindmark debuted for the national team before he made his first league match. After a successful operation in a training international, Pekka more chances and played into both the World Cup team and squad for the Canada Cup. From 1981 onwards, Lindmark resident in the national team. Pekka example contributed greatly to the Tre Kronor World Championships 1987. He played great in group playoff match against the Soviet Union, which ended 2-2.

The Lewiston Daily Sun – May 7, 1988
Hockey: Lindmark won’t go

Star goalie Peter Lindmark said Friday he would not pursue a career in the NHL, opting instead to play for a semi-pro team in his native Sweden. “No offer from an NHL club can change my mind,†said Lindmark, considered one of the world’s top goalies. “I’m 31 and I must think about my future. That includes a job after my career is over.†Lindmark, who became a free agent after leading Farjestad to the Swedish Hockey League title last month, was given an attractive offer by Malmo in the Swedish second division. Lindmark, whose strong goaltending carried Sweden to the 1987 world hockey championship, had been approached by at least 10 NHL teams. Another 15 Swedish teams wanted him.

The Calgary Herald – Sept. 1, 1981
(Canada Cup Preview)

Goaltender Peter Lindmark and not Pelle Lindbergh, Philadelphia’s outstanding minor-league netminder is expected to draw the majority of tournament assignments and if he repeats his World Championship performance, he will be difficult to beat.

The Saturday Windsor Star – Sept. 15, 1984
(On Canada Cup Play)

Nilsson said the key to the Swedes victory over Canada was discipline. And that will be the key to winning the final.

That plus continued strong goaltending from Peter Lindmark. He has given up just two goals in each of the last four games.

“Everyone said, even in Sweden, that our goaltending was not good enough,†said Boork. “But I know that Peter Lindmark is outstanding.â€

The reason no else did is because Lindmark plays in the second level of Swedish hockey and hasn’t been able to show his talent.

“You just have to get it to the surface and now he has shown it.â€

“THEY HAVE been getting great goaltending,†agreed Canada’s Wayne Gretzky. “And when you get great goaltending that makes a big difference. If you don’t’ get the goaltending, you don’t win.

The Calgary Herald – Sept. 19, 1984
(Canada Cup Gold Medal Game 2)

Swedish coach Leif Boork took a calculated risk by starting backup goaltender Goete Waelitalo ahead of the sometimes sensational Peter Lindmark. The move proved to be his team’s undoing.

Waelitalo gave up four goals on nine shots in seven minutes and 13 seconds before he threw in the towel.

In came Lindmark. Like a baseball reliever, Lindmark came in and stopped Canada cold.

As Sweden abandoned its defensive tactics in search of a tie, Lindmark held his teammates in the game, limiting Canada to two goals in almost 53 minutes played

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think Lindmark is a worthy backup here. Jiri Kralik and Pekka Lindmark seem to have been the two best European goalies of the 1980s not named Tretiak or (young) Hasek. I don't think Lindmark peaked as high as Kralik, but he had quite a bit more time as a top player - I think those two are close in value.

My pick will be coming up shortly.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No harm in going into the playoffs with 8 defensemen on your roster - it worked for the Devils in 2003. :yo: I can do it because of how versatile my forwards are. I have Sid Abel (starting LW, but can also play C), Ilya Kovalchuk (starting LW but can play both wing), Tony Leswick (starting LW but can play both wings), Ed Sandford (staring LW but can play all 3 forward positions), Rejean Houle (starting RW but can play all 3 forward positions), and Clint Smith (spare forward can play C/LW).

Swamp Devils pick

Miroslav Dvorak, D

Here is how he compares to some other Czech defensemen in Golden Stick Voting (for best player in Czechoslovakia at all positions):

Jiri Bubla: 3, 3, 7, 10
Oldrick Machac: 6, 7, 8
Miroslav Dvorak: 2, 2, 7, 10

Bubla's 2 thirds were to Hlinka/Holecek and Martinec/undrafted. Dvorak's 2 seconds were both to Milan Novy in 1981 and 1982.

Dvorak also finished 5th in Izvestia Golden Stick Voting for the best player in Europe in 1982 (the Europeans really need to be more creative in what they call their awards).

Here's a full bio from last MLD that was a team effort between Dreakmur and me: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=53133593&postcount=25

Highlights:
  • Played in every major International Tournament for the Czechoslovak National Team from 1974-1983
  • Domestic scoring shows that he could handle the puck, despite being known primarily as a tough, defensive defenseman
  • He actually had a fairly successful NHL career for an older player:
    • Drafted in the 3rd round, 46th overall by the Flyers, despite his age.
    • First player over 30 years old to be drafted by an NHL team.
    • Barry Ashbee Award for best Flyers defenseman in 1983-84 at the age of 32

Here's a video of him hip checking Valeri Kharlamov while still in Czechoslovakia:

Here's a video of him fighting Terry Ruskowski as a Flyer:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How do you guys want to run add/drops this time?

Dropped players cannot be added to other teams?

Regular season voting is scheduled to begin 10 days after the draft is over, so basically 10 days after tomorrow, to allow times for assassinations and regular season jockeying among divisional opponents. Should we give the full 10 days for add/drops, or cut them off after a certain point?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We have often had 24 hour or 48-hour add/drops.

Certainly there should be a few days between the end of add/drops and the start of divisional rankings voting.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
This is just a random request...

But can we remake the system of the MLD to make the dropped players eligible? I feel like those players shouldn't just be floating in space out there randomly.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
This is just a random request...

But can we remake the system of the MLD to make the dropped players eligible? I feel like those players shouldn't just be floating in space out there randomly.

In theory I agree with you, but there have been times in the past when a GM dropped a player who was drafted in something the 15th round, and in really wouldn't be fair if such a player were to become available for first-come first-served, right?

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
In theory I agree with you, but there have been times in the past when a GM dropped a player who was drafted in something the 15th round, and in really wouldn't be fair if such a player were to become available for first-come first-served, right?

I mean, would Orland Kurtenbach even go 1st overall in the MLD (that's just an example of someone dropped in the past after being picked a little early)?

Last year it was pretty clear who should go first overall. How is it any different if a guy that gets dropped? The guy who gets the first pick is just lucky to get the first pick basically. Like I think Velociraptor has said Mike Green is going to be dropped. He'll probably be an early MLD pick, but he still went Round 2 last year.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I mean, would Orland Kurtenbach even go 1st overall in the MLD (that's just an example of someone dropped in the past after being picked a little early)?

Last year it was pretty clear who should go first overall. How is it any different if a guy that gets dropped? The guy who gets the first pick is just lucky to get the first pick basically. Like I think Velociraptor has said Mike Green is going to be dropped. He'll probably be an early MLD pick, but he still went Round 2 last year.

Dropped players ineligible to be added in the ATD, but then re-eligible for the MLD?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

But if a GM thinks a player still available is better value, are they really unbalancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad