ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Hull's not exactly great defensively, and Forsberg isn't anything special either.
hull was below average, but forsberg was better than average. forsberg also tended to control the play so much that he was not scored on much.

but i agree that the LW should be better than either defensively.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hedberg - thanks for keeping up with all these picks and trades.

Announcement:

Zamboni Mania has left the Guelph Storm for personal reasons, and will pursue gainful employment elsewhere. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors. The Guelph Storm are picking up in mid-season to move to Battle Creek to be the Battallion.

thatguy17

Dec 18, 2010
You traded your pick on the clock. If you have an issue with it, I can take the hit for you, I don't care, I won't miss my clocks.

really? thanks, that would be great. me and ss7 have alot of things going on these next 2 weeks and were going to need that time

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
hull was below average, but forsberg was better than average. forsberg also tended to control the play so much that he was not scored on much.

Forsberg also got a lot of comparatively soft minutes, as the defensively underrated Joe Sakic was generally matched against the other team's top line. Forsberg's puck ragging act will be a lot harder against ATD top units than it was against NHL second units.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Forsberg also got a lot of comparatively soft minutes, as the defensively underrated Joe Sakic was generally matched against the other team's top line. Forsberg's puck ragging act will be a lot harder against ATD top units than it was against NHL second units.
In Forsberg's defense he drew the opponents top defensive units unless that was also their top offensive unit like in Dallas.

Derick*

Announcement:

Zamboni Mania has left the Guelph Storm for personal reasons, and will pursue gainful employment elsewhere. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors. The Guelph Storm are picking up in mid-season to move to Battle Creek to be the Battallion.

Basillie buy them?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jokerit selects RW Brett Hull.

brett hull's weakness was everything outside the offensive zone, but forsberg created more time in the offensive zone than most players in history, and obviously was a great playmaker. i think they would be extremely dangerous together.

I had them both in ATD 9, and while the rest of my team was average, I definitely got props for Forsbegr-Hull which would be a deadly combo.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You better believe Detroit was keying in on Forsberg in the 2002 conference finals and he still played insane and torched them.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
You better believe Detroit was keying in on Forsberg in the 2002 conference finals and he still played insane and torched them.

Given that Detroit's coach at the time almost never line-matched in his long career, I'm not sure what to make of this statement. At any rate, the Colorado coaches definitely made a habit of sending the Sakic line against other team's top units. What other coaches did when they had last change probably varied from team-to-team.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
From EB:

With our 3rd selection, the 89th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are very excited to select Left Winger Anatoli Vasilievich Firsov

firsov-nedomansky1.jpg

The ATD cannon are screaming ''NOOO!'', but I truly believe that Anatoli Firsov isn't only the best left winger available (I'm well aware as who's on the board), but the best player available. I still have alot to learn and research on him, but in a couple of points:

The Pros:

- Speed. Anatoli Firsov was not only fast, he was perhaps one of the fastest player of All-Time. He was well recognize as being faster than Valeri Kharlamov.

- Anatoli was an excellent goalscorer and easily had one of the hardest shot of his generation. No wonder he was compared as the 'European Bobby Hull'

- Smart. It was said that the only thing faster than Firsov was his brain. A very smart player.

- Renown as a very clever stickhandler

- Strength. I'm still unsure if Firsov was the kind of player who threw his body around, but his conditional was better than 99.9% of the hockey players population. He was strong as an ox.

- Willingness to win. A good leader.

Both of the first two points are extremely important to the fast transition team I want to built. With Harvey and Lach feeding passes to Firsov, the trio would be a threat to watch. So with so much going on for him, why a guy like Firsov gets taken this late (and later) in numerous draft?

The Cons:

- The competition level Firsov played against through his career (mostly 1960's). This point alone and what you think of it is the difference of someone thinking Firsov as the best russian player of All-Time and Top-50, or if you barely see him as a Top-100 hockey player. I'm not good doing those king of crunching number kind of research, but I'll see what I can find. If anyone knows a good research or information on this subject, feel free to help me on that!

- Anatoli Firsov played his best hockey and for many years with one coach, who he considered his adoptive father. At the trail of his career, when that coach was left behind, he had various trouble playing for any other coach. It's probably the main reason why he was not selected to play in the Summit Serie. He played under various other coach, but he's player who I think need a certain kind of coach to thrive.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island

Announcement:

Thanks seventies. Best of luck to ZM, who is always welcome back if he wants to return

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Speed. Anatoli Firsov was not only fast, he was perhaps one of the fastest player of All-Time. He was well recognize as being faster than Valeri Kharlamov.

I wasn't aware of this part of Firsov's reputation. What have you got on that, EB? All I knew was that he was considered the greatest Russian of the 60's and that he had a huge shot.

The competition level Firsov played against through his career (mostly 1960's). This point alone and what you think of it is the difference of someone thinking Firsov as the best russian player of All-Time and Top-50, or if you barely see him as a Top-100 hockey player. I'm not good doing those king of crunching number kind of research, but I'll see what I can find. If anyone knows a good research or information on this subject, feel free to help me on that!

I know that Firsov, like Kharlamov, got Soviet League MVP love out of proportion to his scoring (relative to other players) during that time. This is one of the mysteries of the Soviet League. Did Firsov and Kharlamov play a similar game? I don't know. Were the Soviets giving bonus points for aesthetic brilliance over effectiveness, as some have claimed vis-a-vis Kharlamov? I doubt it, but the discrepancy between scoring and MVP votes for both men is striking.

Anatoli Firsov played his best hockey and for many years with one coach, who he considered his adoptive father. At the trail of his career, when that coach was left behind, he had various trouble playing for any other coach. It's probably the main reason why he was not selected to play in the Summit Serie. He played under various other coach, but he's player who I think need a certain kind of coach to thrive.

Based on his Soviet League results, Firsov seems to have already gone into decline by 1972, and there were already two very good scoringline left wingers (one of whom was Kharlamov) on that Soviet team - arguably the two best Russian players of the series, actually. It may simply be the case that there was no place for Firsov on that team, which is no knock on Firsov; he was just old.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
So dreakmur lost his pick until he come back?

Basically there will be two people who have the right to make a pick until Dreakmur makes his. Those two people are Dreakmur and whoever is on the clock. It's first come first serve between those two in terms of who gets to choose first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad