At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
:laugh:What the hell is this even supposed to mean?

To this logic neither is McDavid.

I'm sure I can find you players similar to Gagner with their name on the cup .

Gagner was a bad team scoring scoring forward for most of his career.
Sam Gagner Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

That’s the kind of guy you can’t even win in the regular season with. If Zadina becomes anything like Gagner then I want no part of it.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not a problem to have 3rd level player in Zadina as our next Cup winning team. If the caphit is lower than 3rd liners average, he is winning and positive part of our team.

It doesn't matter how Zadina will help our team. He can be 3rd liner. Then there's better 1st and 2nd liners. And we nothing but love if situation is like that.

Only thing wrong is AGAIN and AGAIN - expectations.

People just thought wrong when he was 40-goal scorer in QMJHL - that he would be 40-goal scorer in NHL.

Anthony Mantha was 50-goal scorer in QMJHL, he is barely 30-goal scorer in NHL.

Zadina's maximum will be 25.

He will be 25+25 guy, just like Tomas Tatar. That's realism, no false hopes.
If Zadina becomes a 50 pt player, I'd be pretty happy. I think even that is unrealistic expectations at this point. But I do agree that he's a victim of his pre-draft hype.

I wanted a D out of that draft, but then you have to ask if Stevie would have picked Sieder the following year if Holland did pick a D. So it is what it is, hopefully everything works out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
When Vrana returns it's going to change the dynamics of this team. It's going to give scoring depth and will relieve pressure off Zadina. And, hopefully, he and Zadina can play together again. They had good chemistry.

He's projected to come back at the end of January. Of course we don't know. But that would be his 4 month mark.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
The fact that the entire red wings Reddit and many posters here think that Vrana will magically improve Zadina proves what a bad individual player Zadina is. Filling nets with jack shit we look really stupid for picking him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
When Vrana returns it's going to change the dynamics of this team. It's going to give scoring depth and will relieve pressure off Zadina. And, hopefully, he and Zadina can play together again. They had good chemistry.

He's projected to come back at the end of January. Of course we don't know. But that would be his 4 month mark.

The latest is Vrana will be back mid- to late-February.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
i doubt they’ll put vrana and zadina together. I think blash will go fabbri suter vrana

Agreed. Fabbri is not Bertuzzi, but he fills kind of a similar role, the sandpapery motor guy who will buzzsaw around like a coke'd up waterbug. Meanwhile, Zadina can attempt to be the "skill" guy on the 3rd line, probably with Erne or Namestnikov on the opposite wing.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Agreed. Fabbri is not Bertuzzi, but he fills kind of a similar role, the sandpapery motor guy who will buzzsaw around like a coke'd up waterbug. Meanwhile, Zadina can attempt to be the "skill" guy on the 3rd line, probably with Erne or Namestnikov on the opposite wing.

If I’m making the lineup, I’m putting Zadina and Vrana together and putting someone like Erne with Fabbri and Suter.

I really don’t like the thought of playing people I want to be the primary shooter on a line with Fabbri. His tendencies are nothing of a playmaker. Not that Zadina deserves special treatment of being able to play with Vrana, but I’d actually try to engineer 3 lines that are capable of scoring and I think it would be best served trying to get someone to bring the energy and physicality to the second line. Like Fabbri-Suter-Erne

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The fact that the entire red wings Reddit and many posters here think that Vrana will magically improve Zadina proves what a bad individual player Zadina is. Filling nets with jack shit we look really stupid for picking him.

You don't get those kind of line drivers at 6th overall. Stop being mad at the player and the guy who selected him and be mad at the lottery instead.

2018 shaping up to be a weak draft anyhow. Maybe blame the kids of that draft or maybe blame their mothers for not being more supportive...

But your expectations are stupid.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
If I’m making the lineup, I’m putting Zadina and Vrana together and putting someone like Erne with Fabbri and Suter.

I really don’t like the thought of playing people I want to be the primary shooter on a line with Fabbri. His tendencies are nothing of a playmaker. Not that Zadina deserves special treatment of being able to play with Vrana, but I’d actually try to engineer 3 lines that are capable of scoring and I think it would be best served trying to get someone to bring the energy and physicality to the second line. Like Fabbri-Suter-Erne

I get that. 3 scoring lines would be amazing, but.... My take is Detroit doesn't have nearly enough depth to engineer 3 scoring lines. They don't even have enough to engineer 2 most of the time. Right now it's the top line and then 3 lines mostly still trying to play the 2020-21 low event hockey. I think Vrana could be enough to make two effective scoring lines, but it'll require the right chemistry. My first attempt would be to put him with Suter and Fabbri. If it doesn't click, mix it up and give Zadina a look.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I get that. 3 scoring lines would be amazing, but.... My take is Detroit doesn't have nearly enough depth to engineer 3 scoring lines. They don't even have enough to engineer 2 most of the time. Right now it's the top line and then 3 lines mostly still trying to play the 2020-21 low event hockey. I think Vrana could be enough to make two effective scoring lines, but it'll require the right chemistry. My first attempt would be to put him with Suter and Fabbri. If it doesn't click, mix it up and give Zadina a look.

I do like Fabbri, but I can’t help but feel that he seems unable to produce anywhere other than on the first line or first powerplay unit.

I feel like his numbers would point to this, but I might be totally wrong on that front. Vrana would be a guy that presents that first line talent, so maybe you’d get more out of him.

Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Zadina can't skate well enough to keep up with Vrana. Suter and Fabbri, the other option is contract year Namestnikov. (He'd be awesome if you signed him to only one year contracts)

Let Zadina play with guys that skate and think at the same pace, Erne and Raz. I bet his points pace won't change.

I think Vrana will wind up scoring regardless of who his linemates are. He scored last season with Flip.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Nah, he's not THAT bad. He's not talking about how great Ken Holland is for work he did in 1999 while blasting Yzerman for missing on his first ever draft pick.

Speaking of The Oaf, where has he been? Or for that matter, MBH? We're short some bench depth here.

MBH is currently rage-posting on his own message board about how sacrificing youth hockey tournaments to keep the elderly alive is exactly backwards, apparently insinuating that we should be letting more old people die so that life can go on for the rest of us?

Anyway, I think he may have deleted his account here, I'm not sure. I can look at The Oaf's profile, but when I search an MBH post and click to go to his profile I get an error message :dunno:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
MBH is currently rage-posting on his own message board about how sacrificing youth hockey tournaments to keep the elderly alive is exactly backwards, apparently insinuating that we should be letting more old people die so that life can go on for the rest of us?

Anyway, I think he may have deleted his account here, I'm not sure. I can look at The Oaf's profile, but when I search an MBH post and click to go to his profile I get an error message :dunno:

He has his own message board? Is he the only member? I'm getting an "Old man yells at clouds" vibe here.

Reactions: Gniwder

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
He has his own message board? Is he the only member? I'm getting an "Old man yells at clouds" vibe here.
How you not know this? Quite a few posters over there, all things considered. Most migrated from Red Wings Central to Red Wings Center to Red Wings Now (MBH's board).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad