Prospect Info: At 46th The Isles Select Robin Salo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barring a trade. My expectation for Robin is to make the team this year. He's a 2017 draft. Quite a few 2017 D men have already impacted their NHL teams from this draft. Not just the high draft picks Maker or Heiskanen. Some in the late first, and second, third and 4th rounds already playing in the NHL and impacting their teams. Looking forward in seeing what Robin Salo can bring to the team, and under the tutelage of Trotz and team. Remember before they joined the team, how Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield looked under Doug Weight. And how Toews looked at age 24 when he joined the Isles as a rookie? Maybe we have something here in Salo.

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Barring a trade. My expectation for Robin is to make the team this year. He's a 2017 draft. Quite a few 2017 D men have already impacted their NHL teams from this draft. Not just the high draft picks Maker or Heiskanen. Some in the late first, and second, third and 4th rounds already playing in the NHL and impacting their teams. Looking forward in seeing what Robin Salo can bring to the team, and under the tutelage of Trotz and team. Remember before they joined the team, how Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield looked under Doug Weight. And how Toews looked at age 24 when he joined the Isles as a rookie? Maybe we have something here in Salo.
Could be what they’re thinking. Dobson top 4, Salk slides in and works out the kinks in beginning of season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Could be what they’re thinking. Dobson top 4, Salk slides in and works out the kinks in beginning of season.
I think Dobson will stay with Greene, Mayfield and Salo could be the tandem. I have been watching quite a lot of video on him. He is a good puck mover with some don't think Trotz will like high risk stickhandling at the blue line. No worries, the Isles will teach him when to do this, when not to. More not to. He may have been in the plans all along. His skill is pretty evident when you watch him. He will be 23 in October, that was one year younger then Toews when he showed up as a rookie. We know how that went. I am getting more bullish on him the more I watch him. Now it's just a matter of impressing the coaches, and earning their trust. Mayfield if he continues his playoff ascension would be a nice partner for the young Salo.

Here is a nice video of his skill. Listed at 6'0 185 currently on HDB. Maybe he's grown a bit since that measurement. He's got some shifty offensive skills.

Reactions: MYIslanders

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think Dobson will stay with Greene, Mayfield and Salo could be the tandem. I have been watching quite a lot of video on him. He is a good puck mover with some don't think Trotz will like high risk stickhandling at the blue line. No worries, the Isles will teach him when to do this, when not to. More not to. He may have been in the plans all along. His skill is pretty evident when you watch him. He will be 23 in October, that was one year younger then Toews when he showed up as a rookie. We know how that went. I am getting more bullish on him the more I watch him. Now it's just a matter of impressing the coaches, and earning their trust. Mayfield if he continues his playoff ascension would be a nice partner for the young Salo.

Here is a nice video of his skill. Listed at 6'0 185 currently on HDB. Maybe he's grown a bit since that measurement. He's got some shifty offensive skills.

My god, the advertising on the ice is horrible!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I try not to get too excited about prospects and their potential (i.e. Matt Donovan syndrome) but if Salo turns out to be what we're hoping he is, it would be huge for this team. He seems to be the Finnish Devon Toews, at least as it relates to our team. I'm sure he'll start in BP, but hopefully he makes it clear that he's simply too good for that level. It would be fantastic if he pushes either Greene or Z to the bench at some point this season. And if Bolduc follows in the next 2 years, our bare prospect cupboard would yield exactly what we need. Who gives a f*** what else is may or may not have????

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I try not to get too excited about prospects and their potential (i.e. Matt Donovan syndrome) but if Salo turns out to be what we're hoping he is, it would be huge for this team. He seems to be the Finnish Devon Toews, at least as it relates to our team. I'm sure he'll start in BP, but hopefully he makes it clear that he's simply too good for that level. It would be fantastic if he pushes either Greene or Z to the bench at some point this season. And if Bolduc follows in the next 2 years, our bare prospect cupboard would yield exactly what we need. Who gives a f*** what else is may or may not have????
Yep, keep expectations level. This is always a good approach to anything in life. Salo was a 2nd rd pick, 46th OA. The Isles first pick in 2017. He's kind of an under the radar prospect even for Isles fans. Not a high profile pick, but given the circumstance perhaps more important than on the surface. Let's hope he continues to progress, he could be a big part of the puzzle with Chara and Greene mentoring the young blueliners like Dobson and Robin this year.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yep, keep expectations level. This is always a good approach to anything in life. Salo was a 2nd rd pick, 46th OA. The Isles first pick in 2017. He's kind of an under the radar prospect even for Isles fans. Not a high profile pick, but given the circumstance perhaps more important than on the surface. Let's hope he continues to progress, he could be a big part of the puzzle with Chara and Greene mentoring the young blueliners like Dobson and Robin this year.

Great, so we have Garth to thank again?

I'd rather him just stink so we don't have to :sarcasm:

Reactions: The Real JT

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Garth, you blind squirrel you.

Now stay in the basement because we prefer being a good team.

TestyRapidGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: doublechili

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Reminder we still got Salo even after losing our 1st to vegas that year

small victories

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
so we could have Erik Brannstrom AND Salo in our prospect pool. Thanks for the reminder.
I'd still rather have Nelson right now than Brannstrom, tbh, and I'm guessing that's who Vegas would have taken had we not traded the 1st. So in the end, I'm still fine with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupHolders

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd still rather have Nelson right now than Brannstrom, tbh, and I'm guessing that's who Vegas would have taken had we not traded the 1st. So in the end, I'm still fine with it.
Pretty sure we good have finagled it that we would have given them DeHaan and they would have taken him. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but isn't that what fan message boards are for???? (and of course, it was equally likely that Pelech would have been the guy going over there).

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Very standard in Europe. There are surfaces that are slightly more covered up than that one, but those big pink circles are basically in every SHL stadium, I believe.

Yep, it’s the ad for the biggest sports magazine in the country. The pink ad has been a part of the ice for probably more than a decade. You don’t even notice or think about it anymore.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Pretty sure we good have finagled it that we would have given them DeHaan and they would have taken him. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but isn't that what fan message boards are for???? (and of course, it was equally likely that Pelech would have been the guy going over there).
Given the difference in de Haan's value with his injury history and Nelson's value as a young center entering his prime with three straight 20g seasons, I'd be a bit surprised if they'd have done that without the 1st. But in the end, there's no way for us to know what they would have done. But I do know for sure I'm glad we have Nelson right now and am OK with the price of moving the 1st for that.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Salo is a legit prospect who is looking good at camp and for some games. I hope we get to see him play at least 2 more games before season starts. With him and Bolduc and the advanced age of Greene and Chara, I would say we have a plan at LD. He should do well in the AHL and who knows, maybe gets some games in the bigs.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad