Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If someone like Roslovic is going to be there for close to the full year I'd be fine with that.
I don't want him to be the only offensive force on a team, need to build his confidence and let him dominate offensively with good linemates.

I expect he will return to Europe but Chevy's comment about different options was interesting.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Armia isn't fast. This kid is burner.

I like the pick. There is some nice upside here, but I am not confident he'll get there. Can he learn to beast like Jagr versus grown men? Can he blast into corners and steal pucks for his teammates. My gut says an outcome closer to Viktor Stalberg is most likely.

Yeah he's a faster skater but not a terrible comparison. Both with really high ceiling but need to put it together. Will be interesting to see.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
That's just how Finns talk, they're very stoic and to-the-point, they can seem disinterested in any conversation :laugh:

Yes, no one who has actually met Finnish people or spent time in Finland could take that "concern" very seriously. Every Finnish person I've ever known has been like that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Don't love it or hate it....what you get for picking so late. Several years away, top 9 prospect.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Enthusiasm for this pick is just luke warm. Not because he's a bad prospect, just that it was in my opinion a lost opportunity to add a very good defense prospect.

When Liljegren, Vaakanainen and Joseph were all off the board, it was deflating but it could have been worse had they settled for Hague.

Now praying they can nab Timmons, Samberg or Di Pietro with their 2nd rounder.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Not Sure if Right thing To Do ???

We have all the Stanley Cups we can handle-4-5 years down the road from now, when this guy will be a factor. He looks like a big strong skater, and not that good of a scorer. Sort of a guy like Lowry.

I would really would have liked to see the Jets draft left handed defenceman and a "Goalie", which we desperately need. Maybe Chevy thought this was the best talent for this pick selection, and can trade him off for a good goaltender-I hope so.

Otherwise, the kid looks like a solid pick-we just don't need wingers !!!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Enthusiasm for this pick is just luke warm. Not because he's a bad prospect, just that it was in my opinion a lost opportunity to add a very good defense prospect.

When Liljegren, Vaakanainen and Joseph were all off the board, it was deflating but it could have been worse had they settled for Hague.

Now praying they can nab Timmons, Samberg or Di Pietro with their 2nd rounder.

I don't get the love for Vaakanainen. He's got limited upside and is classed as a shutdown defenseman. He's a safe pick, but he shouldn't have been taken where he was. Boston doesn't disappoint in the 1st round, though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's versatile, like many of our wingers. He can play both sides. I like that. He has some good hands and a nose for the net. Good skater. But his development is going to be a long one I think. I'd leave him with HPK for at least another season. He has a lot to prove over there. He might even need two. He needs to learn that two-way Finn game, it's lacking. Then he needs to come to NA and play in the AHL. After that we can assess. He could definitely surprise. There are some great tools here but we need him to find a toolbox to hold them all. Great size, great speed, great puck handling, good shot. The toolbox is the main part. Can he put it all together. I have so much more faith in this kid than Stanley. I hate the way we arrived at this pick, it was avoidable, but I like the pick and I think this kid has a good shot at being a Wheeler replacement down the line. We need to be patient with him though. He's going to be one of the longer term Forwards we've drafted in the 1st.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I expect a season in Europe then with the moose. 4 Finn's with the organization now should help with transition. I expect a few more Finn's drafted tomorrow.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Hm. I was really expecting us to draft a D-man. Vesalainen is gonna have his work cut out for him in order to make it to the team any time soon.

Really happy that the Jets have another Finnish prospect, though.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Thank you other GM's for gifting Vesalanen to us. At least solid 3rd line player in future. People must been very drunk in the draft to skip Vesalainen. We win second year in the row ! Hope our draft luck continues in future.

Last edited:

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Been following Frölunda for years. Vesalainen got all the tools in the world to succeed. However, people say that he doesn't take training or hockey in general seriously. That's why he regressed this season and didn't even played every night for Frölunda. This guy is a huge gamble.

Hopefully, he will make it... but I strongly doubt that he will make the NHL.

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine playing with the Jets should be a good reason for Vesalainen to stay motivated and get better as a hockey player. I don't know much about him, but character issues are irrelevant, if he even has those. If he does, it won't matter until he makes the the Jets lineup, which will be in a year or two from now.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Hmm... A Finnish winger with "laine" in his name - sounds good :P
I don't know too much about this guy - might have preferred a defenceman but I hope he works out

paragon

May 5, 2010
I've been a fan of his.

I've been thinking that his scoring issues on mens leagues this year were down to confidence. He was barely 17y when the season started and he hit a slump, got moved to Finland. His confidence was tested and confidence is everything for rookies/prospects.
I disagree. Confidence is not an issue with him. He's one of the recent crop of guys with big ego (Laine, Vesalainen, Tolvanen) who aren't afraid to speak out. Both Vesalainen and Tolvanen fell in the draft because of their combine interviews.

Personally I prefer cocky players to meek ones. The issue I have with Vesalainen is that I'm not completely sold on his offensive upside. He looked great against his peers, but that might have largely been because of his physical attributes.

He seems like the type of guy who thinks he's the best and is going to whine through his manager how his coach is using him/not giving enough ice time. Ice time was the reason he was moved from Frölunda to HPK where he got to play a decent amount, but didn't actually produce.

I hope he finds success in Winnipeg, because to me he strikes as the type of guy who'd rather be a star in the KHL than a grinder in the NHL.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Been following Frölunda for years. Vesalainen got all the tools in the world to succeed. However, people say that he doesn't take training or hockey in general seriously. That's why he regressed this season and didn't even played every night for Frölunda. This guy is a huge gamble.

Hopefully, he will make it... but I strongly doubt that he will make the NHL.

Let's hope it was just the figure skater he found this season that distracted him

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He's at least three years away. Jets should hope that he improves well so they can use he as trade bait down on the route.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice thing about this pick is that he'll give us another reason to watch the WJHCs for a couple years.

Yea I was thinking that. I do like the Armia comparison and I am guessing at the same age Joel might have had the edge but in the case where a guy is a big power forward speed is a very nice addition and could make all the difference. I was talking to a smart guy about prospects and he made a great point......when projecting young scoring forwards you want to make sure they have one of the key elements nessesary to create time and space to make the play. In extreme cases it may have been the power to shield like Draisaitl or Perry could do as juniors or the speed to separate like Ehlers had. Give me that element to create time and space and allow their game to translate.

Will it happen....who knows? One knock is that he is wildly inconsistent and does he have the mental make up to fight through all the challenges along the way? Time will tell but at least he has some great tools.

Even if he isn't a pure scorer I sense he is going to be a possession beast and an advanced stats darling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad