Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I was very underwhelmed going into this draft and did not know a lot about the players. After taking a deeper look with this pick I am fine with it. Our need is real depth, and it appears that is what this guy may be able to do; the question mark will be if he can be a top six and if comes to fruition then that is pretty damn good. If he is an effective third line depth guy playing with guys like Lowry, then perfect. That's what the need was.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
That's just how Finns talk, they're very stoic and to-the-point, they can seem disinterested in any conversation :laugh:

It sounded like he had a lot of complaints about his treatment with Frolunda, and didn't really take ownership of his on-ice struggles. I think that's where the character concerns come from.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Perhaps. Have to wonder if being #1 on NTC lists might factor in.

It probably has a bigger impact than most of us realize and likely makes trading a real challenge for Chevy. I think he faces a lot of undeserved criticism when he has to deal with a lot more obstacles than other GMs do. It's quite possible that any other person in the role of GM for the Winnipeg Jets would have not been able to pull off all the trades or free agent signings that the fans expect Chevy to do. His job would no doubt be a lot easier in an American city where players could pay less taxes and not complain about the cold weather. Likewise, someone who is considered a great GM elsewhere may not look so great in Winnipeg if they faced the same issues that Chevy does.

:jets

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He might also be hampered by the fact that Winnipeg seems to be on every player's no trade list. Chevy might have the hardest GM job in the league.

It's a catch 22 ... players will come if the team is winning or they have to over paid to get the players to come here.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Big, strong and fast with great offensive instincts. He's a power forward that can play East-West or North-South. He was awesome at the U18s. Tournament MVP.

Jets are now stacked with top level talent on both wings. Ehlers, Connor, Vesalainen shooting left and Wheeler, Laine, Armia shooting right.

I was frustrated with the expansion draft trade-down but it worked out just fine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vesalainen- Scheifele- Laine line would be fun as hell to see at times.
They'd just bully everyone :laugh:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I like the pick. Had him 17 on my list. He reminds me of Armia but I think he's a better skater. This will be a guy in a year or two where we say how did he fall all the way to us at 24 much like we said about Connor falling. He's a safe pick IMO and who cares if he's a winger, take BPA! Stock pile talent. Trades will happen to fill organizational need we can never have enough talent at any position. I like where Pronman had him! Hoping this kid can make dev camp.

If he can be effective in 2 years I'm very happy

I just want Winnipeg to be presented well

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Big, strong and fast with great offensive instincts. He's a power forward that can play East-West or North-South. He was awesome at the U18s. Tournament MVP.

Jets are now stacked with top level talent on both wings. Ehlers, Connor, Vesalainen shooting left and Wheeler, Laine, Armia shooting right.

I was frustrated with the expansion draft trade-down but it worked out just fine.

Kind of echo's my feelings. So far so good. But more work still needs to be done.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Was he actually mvp? Or opinion?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Finding some similarities to Armia, big, skilled, fast and solid puck control, struggles finishing, producing

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yeah I heard that too. Some reports he was lackadaisical in interviews and seemed uninterested. Means nothing as he could have been trying to influence his pick.

if he was applying for an HR position, i'd be concerned.
thankfully, the game of hockey doesn't involve awkward interviews.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If you want to be negative, the difference is, that Laine's behavioural issues were handled and dealt with. Mostly because he was not allowed to bail out and get that 'clean slate, new beginning in the new surroundings' crap. Vesalainen more or less has always bailed what I have heard from.

But he is also a young kid and life will teach him. And hopefully he will not be allowed to just move on to next place, when things don't go as he wish from now on.

Yeah, but burning bridges while doing so doesn't. Nor does publicly telling how bad those former teams/their coaches were/treated him either.

And let's face it: there would had been enough for Vesalainen to work on in the HIFK too. Staying didn't seem to hurt Heiskanen that much, nor was Vesalainen too good to Liiga, when he fled to Sweden (nor too good to SHL, when he came back to Liiga and HPK.)

But again, young kid, life will teach him. Being arrogant and not taking direction well at 18 certainly isn't end of the world nor does it mean there would be something fundamentally wrong in him or his character. Just hope Jets takes character building into account when considering how to develop him.

It sounded like he had a lot of complaints about his treatment with Frolunda, and didn't really take ownership of his on-ice struggles. I think that's where the character concerns come from.

Yea it wasn't like Laine who was younger and seemed to have put it behind him by his draft year. This stuff happened this past season and it wasn't an isolated incident from what I have heard. It is the only thing holding me back from Being really pumped with the pick at #24. I do like his talent and it's nice to have a power forward again but it seems a bit odd for TNSE to take a risk on current character issues after the challenges we had with Kane?

I will hope for the best he looks good in his highlight compilations.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So BB88 care to give a Finn perspective on Vesalainen.

I've been a fan of his.

I've been thinking that his scoring issues on mens leagues this year were down to confidence. He was barely 17y when the season started and he hit a slump, got moved to Finland. His confidence was tested and confidence is everything for rookies/prospects.

I like how he ended his season on a high note?(did I say that right :laugh:) winning the MVP, that should give him a great boost to summer training and hopefully carries over pre season.

He skates well, has the potential to be a great puck protector and just bully guys, and has smooth hands for 6'4.
I think he's a safe 3rd line guy but him hitting his full potential isn't the safest. Just give him time to mature and hope it pays out.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been a fan of his.

I've been thinking that his scoring issues on mens leagues this year were down to confidence. He was barely 17y when the season started and he hit a slump, got moved to Finland. His confidence was tested and confidence is everything for rookies/prospects.

I like how he ended his season on a high note?(did I say that right :laugh:) winning the MVP, that should give him a great boost to summer training and hopefully carries over pre season.

He skates well, has the potential to be a great puck protector and just bully guys, and has smooth hands for 6'4.
I think he's a safe 3rd line guy but him hitting his full potential isn't the safest. Just give him time to mature and hope it pays out.

Thanks. Definitely a decent #24 pick. And you can't have enough Finn's ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad