Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, so many of those numbers are tied to skating, he needed to improve his skating even before major surgery and not walking for months. He was never going to be a one and done. NCAA is a good place to work on skating if you want to put in the effort.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Eh, so many of those numbers are tied to skating, he needed to improve his skating even before major surgery and not walking for months. He was never going to be a one and done. NCAA is a good place to work on skating if you want to put in the effort.

Lucius is a prospect that is limited by his shitty skating. Its funny because I have been going back and looking at prospects reviews after the fact and one that stands out is Jason Robertson. In his draft year the Scouts all really liked Jason but to a man they said, they can't get past his bad skating. Jason even acknowledged in his pre-draft interviews he needed to spend more time in the gym. The difference is Robertson seemed to do everything well except skate. In his draft year Robertson put up 81 points for Kingston and the next closest player put up 51 points. That is an eye opening stat that tells me Robertson was the driver. Whereas Lucius currently has high IQ and really good goal scoring talents but that's it so far. Chaz seems to be more of a high end complimentary finisher. That being said Chaz is playing in the NCAA as an 18 year old which is different than the OHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lucius is a prospect that is limited by his shitty skating. Its funny because I have been going back and looking at prospects reviews after the fact and one that stands out is Jason Robertson. In his draft year the Scouts all really liked Jason but to a man they said, they can't get past his bad skating. Jason even acknowledged in his pre-draft interviews he needed to spending more time in the gym. The difference is Robertson seemed to do everything well except skate. In his draft year Robertson put up 81 points for Kingston and the next closest player put up 51 points. That is an eye opening stat that tells me Robertson was the driver. Whereas Lucius currently has high IQ and really good goal scoring talents but that's it so far. Chaz seems to be more of a high end complimentary finisher. That being said Chaz is playing in the NCAA as an 18 year old which is different than the OHL.

It wouldn't be a bad thing is that is what he is in the NHL. You can always use someone who juat knows how to get open and finish. His one other positive is that he is good at reading and passing the puck out of his end with control. That would also be a welcome addition to our winger group. As is I don't see any chance he's a center st the NHL level given his lack of ability to drive play so far.

We should have some good drivers to pair him with like Ehlers or Perfetti if/when he makes it.

Reactions: MardyBum

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It wouldn't be a bad thing is that is what he is in the NHL. You can always use someone who juat knows how to get open and finish. His one other positive is that he is good at reading and passing the puck out of his end with control. That would also be a welcome addition to our winger group. As is I don't see any chance he's a center st the NHL level given his lack of ability to drive play so far.

We should have some good drivers to pair him with like Ehlers or Perfetti if/when he makes it.
Yep we will need that high end finisher to go with Connor in the next window if Scheifele continues to decline/leave. If he can turn into a 40ish goal man that’s super value at #18.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

So he's going to be Laine but able to break out of our own end? I'll take it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep we will need that high end finisher to go with Connor in the next window if Scheifele continues to decline/leave. If he can turn into a 40ish goal man that’s super value at #18.

Agreed:

We will have Cole is more predisposed to set up his teammates then score himself. Not that he can't finish when given the chance.

Dubois is more hybrid skill/powerforoward that imo will finish more from mucking in around the net.

Conner is our elite finisher that looks to shoot first and pass second.

After that we have Fly who is much more of a volume scorer and nit what I would classify as a pure finisher

Adding another pure shooter to the mix likely diversifies our top 6. The fact that he has good size that he can hopefully learn to utilize will also be a plus.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i hope folks are talking play style when throwing names line laine or connor, and not production. think the chances of him being essentially a yearly 30+ goal scorer like connor, or a teenage NHL goal scoring phenom 35g/82gp career pace like laine is kinda small

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
i hope folks are talking play style when throwing names line laine or connor, and not production. think the chances of him being essentially a yearly 30+ goal scorer like connor, or a teenage NHL goal scoring phenom 35g/82gp career pace like laine is kinda small
I think it’s more about he’ll be a finisher like them. He won’t be a scoring sensation as a teen but I think expecting a ceiling of routine 30-40 goal man is fair.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think it’s more about he’ll be a finisher like them. He won’t be a scoring sensation as a teen but I think expecting a ceiling of routine 30-40 goal man is fair.
there's like what 10-15 players in the nhl that are routine 30-40+ goal scorers? perhaps he has a peak year there :dunno:. idk, i've just tempered my expectations for prospects a lot since being on this site lol.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
there's like what 10-15 players in the nhl that are routine 30-40+ goal scorers? perhaps he has a peak year there :dunno:. idk, i've just tempered my expectations for prospects a lot since being on this site lol.
Yeah, that’s why I said ceiling lol, doesn’t mean he’s gonna hit it

Reactions: DRW204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's about playing style for me. I think if he becomes a 25g 25a player he will have done well. I definitely hope for more like say a Brock Boeser type but that's is more my very high end projection for him.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It's about playing style for me. I think if he becomes a 25g 25a player he will have done well. I definitely hope for more like say a Broke Boeser type but that's is more emy very high end projection for him.

Twinning

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So he's going to be Laine but able to break out of our own end? I'll take it.

The Laine comp is an interesting one. I'm hoping he learns to use his size better than Laine.

i hope folks are talking play style when throwing names line laine or connor, and not production. think the chances of him being essentially a yearly 30+ goal scorer like Connor, or a teenage NHL goal scoring phenom 35g/82gp career pace like laine is kinda small

To me Lucius is more like Robitaille stylistically (not saying he will be that good). Laine had a world class shot, Connor has speed and amazing hands.......Lucius is not like those guys but he does get way more greasy than either of those guys do and he seems to like to play around the net looking for opportunist goals. His release and shot are nice but its his feel for how to seize opportunity in the danger zone that sticks out to me. He is a very good goal scorer in his own way. Hopefully Chibrikov can grow into a top 6 asset for us in a few years because stylistically he would go together like carrots and pees with a finisher like Chaz.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To me Lucius is more like Robitaille stylistically (not saying he will be that good). Laine had a world class shot, Connor has speed and amazing hands.......Lucius is not like those guys but he does get way more greasy than either of those guys do and he seems to like to play around the net looking for opportunist goals. His release and shot are nice but its his feel for how to seize opportunity in the danger zone that sticks out to me. He is a very good goal scorer in his own way. Hopefully Chibrikov can grow into a top 6 asset for us in a few years because stylistically he would go together like carrots and pees with a finisher like Chaz.

Yeah Chibrikov is the guy I wanted in the first, got him anyhow so that was a positive. He looks to have an element of pushing and driving the play to him that will also be needed on this team.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's about playing style for me. I think if he becomes a 25g 25a player he will have done well. I definitely hope for more like say a Brock Boeser type but that's is more my very high end projection for him.

Yea Boeser really exploded out of the gates in his D+1 season where as a rookie at UND over 42 games he had 27 goals, 33 assists, 60 points. Also Boeser had a great rookie season in the NHL with a line of 62 games 29-26 for 55 points. The problem problem has been staying healthy and that rookie season ended up being his high water mark so far.

I am not sure what to expect from Lucius. I think he will need at least one and maybe two more seasons in the NCAA but time will tell. Generally speaking I have a soft spot for players with high hockey IQ's that have skill and character. Not sure how this will end up but I will remain hopeful.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yea Boeser really exploded out of the gates in his D+1 season where as a rookie at UND over 42 games he had 27 goals, 33 assists, 60 points. Also Boeser had a great rookie season in the NHL with a line of 62 games 29-26 for 55 points. The problem problem has been staying healthy and that rookie season ended up being his high water mark so far.

I am not sure what to expect from Lucius. I think he will need at least one and maybe two more seasons in the NCAA but time will tell. Generally speaking I have a soft spot for players with high hockey IQ's that have skill and character. Not sure how this will end up but I will remain hopeful.

Well outside of this year Brock has consistiently paced over 30 goals and mid to high 60's in points. Would love if Lucious had the same type of point totals.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well outside of this year Brock has consistiently paced over 30 goals and mid to high 60's in points. Would love if Lucious had the same type of point totals.
It’s hard to get impressed by 60 points when kfc was drafted around that same spot and consistently nets 70 or 80 point seasons.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That would be a dream. Chaz is on a different development time line so far but a Jets fan can dream!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It’s hard to get impressed by 60 points when kfc was drafted around that same spot and consistently nets 70 or 80 point seasons.
Hard to get impressed by 70-80 points when Kucherov paces 100+ after being drafted at the end of the second round.

60 points is 60 points. That would be impressive for an 18th+ overall pick. Connor being ~PPG is just more impressive.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hard to get impressed by 70-80 points when Kucherov paces 100+ after being drafted at the end of the second round.

60 points is 60 points. That would be impressive for an 18th+ overall pick. Connor being ~PPG is just more impressive.

What I find most interesting about Kucherov is even Tampa who was smart enough to draft him still had him ranked below Namestnikov who was their 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad