Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Lowry, Copper, Tanev, KC, Scheif (not a gimme), Helle...I'll stop there.

Just as a comparison I was looking at the Oilers draft picks for the same period of time (2011-present). I can only find 2 players selected after the first round that appears to have become an every0day NHLer - Ethan Bear and Jujhar Khaira (and I'm not exactly a huge fan of either player).

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What... is.... happen...

New moves... gone awry...

Decapitated thread...

afb9371ae4fb0cff807f09b950588b41.gif

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Seriously?

How about Lowry (2nd round 2011), Hellebuyck (5th round 2012), Copp (4th round 2013), Poolman (5th round 2013), Appleton (6th round 2015), and with others that are still developing. Lots of teams would love to have that many players taken after the first round play in their organization.

Very good post here, and it shows you how competent the Jets scouting staff is. They really have a keen eye for talent. Those are some solid players you've cited here.

Reactions: hn777 and John Agar

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Seriously?

How about Lowry (2nd round 2011), Hellebuyck (5th round 2012), Copp (4th round 2013), Poolman (5th round 2013), Appleton (6th round 2015), and with others that are still developing. Lots of teams would love to have that many players taken after the first round play in their organization.

Lowry was a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: GNP

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
The Minnesota game was on Big 10 Network last night so I was able to watch it all and (obviously) played very close attention to Lucius.

NCAA is annoying with 14 forwards - YES, 14 FREAKIN FORWARDS on the bench. It feels like they only play one shift every 5 mins. I so much prefer the CHL model where top prospects seem to play 20+ mins per night. I notice the NCAA truly roles all four lines in sequence and it appears Minnesota has 3 distinct PP units. When I watch the Winnipeg Ice play, Savoie / Geekie get so much ice time. Trying to watch Lucius last night was painful. My guess is all forwards (14 of them!!!!!!!!) probably play approx 13 mins per game.

That all said - my takeaways:

Lucius reminds me a bit of Scheifele from a stylistic standpoint. He's a right shot, fairly big with long strides. Doesn't look like his legs are pumping fast yet is moving at a reasonable pace. Uses his body well to protect puck. Very nice puck skills but doesn't really try to take anyone 1 on 1. Quick small area passes. Blade always on the ice 'lurking' for a quick shot on goal in slot area. Continuously adjusts his body to make himself available as a passing option. Seems to prefer being F3 (hangs back high slot) rather than F1. Again, stylistically only, a little bit of Patrick Laine 'sharking' in the Ozone always trying to make himself available high for a shot on goal.

Anyway, my two cents only

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The Minnesota game was on Big 10 Network last night so I was able to watch it all and (obviously) played very close attention to Lucius.

NCAA is annoying with 14 forwards - YES, 14 FREAKIN FORWARDS on the bench. It feels like they only play one shift every 5 mins. I so much prefer the CHL model where top prospects seem to play 20+ mins per night. I notice the NCAA truly roles all four lines in sequence and it appears Minnesota has 3 distinct PP units. When I watch the Winnipeg Ice play, Savoie / Geekie get so much ice time. Trying to watch Lucius last night was painful. My guess is all forwards (14 of them!!!!!!!!) probably play approx 13 mins per game.

Lucius reminds me a bit of Scheifele from a stylistic standpoint. He's a right shot, fairly big with long strides. Doesn't look like his legs are pumping fast yet is moving at a reasonable pace. Uses his body well to protect puck. Very nice puck skills but doesn't really try to take anyone 1 on 1. Quick small area passes. Blade always on the ice 'lurking' for a quick shot on goal in slot area. Continuously adjusts his body to make himself available as a passing option. Seems to prefer being F3 (hangs back high slot) rather than F1. Again, stylistically only, a little bit of Patrick Laine 'sharking' in the Ozone always trying to make himself available high for a shot on goal.

I've thought about the Scheifele comparison as well but figured I'd get some weird looks if I mentioned it. Maybe not Scheifele today but I can see a lot of similarities between him and pre-NHL Scheifele. Not overly fast and a little clunky, great shot and release but biggest skill is anticipating where the puck is going to pop out and being there to get a scoring chance. Easy to not notice him for awhile then suddenly he pops one in the net. If he improves his skating he could be a star, if he doesn't he could still be a good complementary player.

Reactions: thai jet

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg

Same teams on the Big 10 Network right now. Better than the only hockey alternative Laffs/Avs on right now

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Lucius had a slow start to his season and missed some time (not sure what happened, but he's only played 17 of his team's 23 games), but he's started to put it together as of late:

Early in the season he was likely getting re-acquainted with skating due to knee surgery last year. Was also playing 3rd/4th line minutes vs. the more recent games he’s been 1st/2nd line.

Curious, does anybody have insight on what kind of injury his brother Cruz has? Looks like he hasn’t played much this year, and could go well beyond when he was originally expected.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
After the "playing a video game on easy mode" like numbers that Kyle Connor put up in his rookie season in the NCAA, every other prospects NCAA stats seem 'meh'... Connor has ruined stat watching NCAA forwards for me. :laugh:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Really hoping that Lucius can turn into a bonafide top 6 forward. That could setup the next young core of Jets forwards in a few years around PLD, Perfetti, Lucius, and Chibrikov.

Also want Lucius to turn out because I was wondering if last year might have made sense to take Wallstedt instead.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad