Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This kid has a terrific had on his shoulders. I remember when they drafted him the talk about him was he was very mature and determined and he would be the hardest worker on whatever team he was on. He's done nothing but improve since being drafted, he's gotten into pro shape, his perspective is exactly what you want to hear from a kid. Really excited for him.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
This kid has a terrific had on his shoulders. I remember when they drafted him the talk about him was he was very mature and determined and he would be the hardest worker on whatever team he was on. He's done nothing but improve since being drafted, he's gotten into pro shape, his perspective is exactly what you want to hear from a kid. Really excited for him.

With his attitude and the way he carries himself/speaks I can see him being a leader on this team down the road, kinda similar to how I felt about Lindgren when he was doing these types of interviews

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

What really stands out to me, compared to others I've interviewed over the years, is that the way he answers questions you can tell he thinks about it. It's not just regurgitated hockey 101 nonsense.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
It's interesting that he would have put on 5 more pounds if he had more time, but feels that with the 10 pounds gained has a sense of weight balance for playing both heavy and fast. This kid is gonna look 30 in 2 years due to accelerated facial maturation.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Maybe he can take Laf under his wing? ;)

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

said it before, really looking forward to this kid. I hope he makes some noise at camp, even if he doesn't make opening roster just yet.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's the Rangers, they'll have him make the roster out of camp but scratch him the first two games of the season, dress him the third game but he will skate one shift in the first period and they'll decide that's all they need to see, bench him, scratch him for the next several games before sending him to the AHL.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
FB_IMG_1695010574991.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Imagine this kid outplays Lafenstock…
People are really in for a rude awakening if they think Othmann is NHL ready to contribute in a top 6 role. He's not THAT far off from NHL ready, but he needs time to cook in the AHL for sure. He certainly won't be beating out Laf but he will have some good shifts in the preseason and likely be one of the last cut.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
People are really in for a rude awakening if they think Othmann is NHL ready to contribute in a top 6 role. He's not THAT far off from NHL ready, but he needs time to cook in the AHL for sure. He certainly won't be beating out Laf but he will have some good shifts in the preseason and likely be one of the last cut.

100%

I'm expecting him to need a full season in the AHL to figure out how to fit into the pro game. I suspect that he is going to have to learn how to lean a little more on his physicality and finding soft spots in the offensive zone to get his shot off. He frequently beat dmen with his skating in juniors, but I don't think that's a weapon that he has at this level yet.

None of that is to say I'm down on the kid. I'm confident that he'll figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad