Red Sox/MLB ASTROS WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The sad part is that I'm 100% convinced he absolutely goes that route instead of making a trade for Stanton, which is the move he should make.

With him I wouldn't put it past him to do both. Dombrowski bought his only World Series title in '97, and has tried to replicate that ever since.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
With him I wouldn't put it past him to do both. Dombrowski bought his only World Series title in '97, and has tried to replicate that ever since.

I'm more than fine if they buy their way to another title. At this point, winning it all trumps everything else. They went all in on getting Sale, so you might as well maximize that investment before he's gone.

FWIW, I am not a Machado fan though. I think he's very much overrated (if that's possible).

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DAN SHAUGHNESSY
Could Sunday be John Farrell’s final game as Red Sox manager?

The Fire Farrell chorus is loud and angry in the aftermath of bookend beatings the Sox endured at Minute Maid Park. Boston’s season-ending collapse is bearing remarkable similarity to the fall fold of 2016, and if the Red Sox are routed a third time by the Astros, something has to happen.

This time it might be the manager.

It won’t be fair if Farrell gets fired. Manager John just finished in first place in back-to-back seasons, something no Sox field boss has done in more than 100 years. Farrell has a World Series ring in his pocket. He’s put out a lot of fires in this wacky, uneven, 93-win season. He’s been a masterful bullpen manipulator.

But if Sunday is another embarrassment, it’s likely that John Henry, Tom Werner, and Dave Dombrowski will entertain the notion of firing the skipper.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Stanton fixes so many problems, he has to be the target IMO.

It's very obvious that he is THE target. Will it get done? Don't know, but this is probably the perfect storm. Marlins want to get rid of his expensive part of the contract and the Red Sox have re-set the luxury tax, which allows them to go over while only paying a fraction of that of multiple year offenders.
Are there many other teams who can easily absord such a big contract while being able to also offer some ML-ready players? Tough to grasp Stanton's value on the market, but he's not costing us a Sale-package, not even close. He's going to be making 25m+ for the next 10 years. And he has a player option in 2021.
Position could be a thing, though. He's primarily been a RF, but I doubt he could handle the toughest RF in baseball. So LF/DH makes the most sense. Benni is a waste in LF. He had some trouble playing the monster, but otherwise he has good range. So JBJ would be the odd man out.
They need the LF to bury sluggers like Stanton.

1B is another huge hole. Hosmer would make some sense, but I would probably pass on giving him a huge FA-deal.

My gut says that Farrell (for the record: I don't think he could have done anything in that series that would have dramatically changed the outcome, but my decision to replace him looms larger than 5 ps-games) will be the scapegoat, Dombrowski gets "his" manager to win with and will be spending like there is no tomorrow. Let's hope Otani finds his way to Boston.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston Red Sox payroll:

$199,805,178

Arizona Diamondbacks payroll:

$93,257,600

ps LA Dodgers payroll: $242,065,828

The Dodgers have recovered nicely from the Frank McCourt disaster and their revenues dwarf from the Red Sox and Yankees have at this time. Their cable TV deal in SoCal is obscene especially considering 60% of the market can't see the games. But the Dodgers don't get as they get their money and Time-Warner so badly botched this deal they sold out to Charter which is now Spectrum.

Dodger Stadium is the third oldest park in MLB and yet today it feels brand new. They last won it all in 1988 so they are way overdue.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Plenty of seats available

Waiting for promo to Show up with real or fake beard buy a seat for a $1

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
All good Fenway, except that last park about Dodger stadium... worst park in the majors for fans. You sit so far away from the field, amenities and bathrooms are poor, and of course traffic and parking couldn't be more convoluted, meaning you leave and 1.5 hours before game time and you get there 4th inning earliest.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wonder if AJ Pierzynski is a divisive personality and a clubhouse cancer inside the Fox Sports Broadcasting locker room

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have faith in Doug Fister

hqdefault.jpg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Annoying...infuriating...embarrassing

Throwing doug fister with your season on the line

If there was such a thing as a pathetic 93 win team, this is it. Boo these clowns off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma