Assuming Mack & Kuch are top 2 hart in some order - who will be #3? McDavid or Matthews? Or someone else?

Who finishes 3rd in hart assuming Kuch and Mack are top 2?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This has been an absolutely epic regular season. At the top, Kucherov, MacKinnon and McDavid have put on a race for the ages to the Ross. All 3 nearing 140+ (Kuch already above). Matthews flirting for 70+ goals. Lots of other great performers too like Hughes, Panarin, Pastrnak, etc

As we near the finish line, a few things now seem certain to me:

1. Top 2 in hart voting will be Kuch and Mack. In what order remains to be seen (I think Kuch should win), but they will and should be top 2

2. McDavid won't win the Ross nor Hart. He's too far back and just missed another game. Fantastic season with the epic turnaround in November, but he won't win Ross. And considering voter fatigue/being held to higher standard because he's McDavid, im convinced he also won't win the hart being so far back of Kuch and MacK

So - who ends up #3 for hart? McDavid or Matthews? Or someone else?

Matthews had cooled off a bit, but he's on a goal scoring mission again lately and is just 2 away from 70 with 3 games to go. He's also 10 points up from Nylander (in past some said he wouldnt get hart votes with Nylander outscoring him) and an impressive +37. Is that enough to be a hart finalist above McDavid?

Make a prediction who finishes #3 for hart below - and feel free to comment if you disagree on Kuch/Mack ending up top 2.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Matthews. Mcdavid has likely fallen out of the top 3 now. 70 goals is 70 goals. Mcdavids calling card was hitting 100 assists. Now that kuch will as well and has also opened a 11 point lead in the 140s. Mcdavids season doesnt look all that "special anymore" 70 goals is the talk of the town

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Matthews. Mcdavid has likely fallen out of the top 3 now. 70 goals is 70 goals. Mcdavids calling card was hitting 100 assists. Now that kuch will as well and has also opened a 11 point lead in the 140s. Mcdavids season doesnt look all that "special anymore" 70 goals is the talk of the town

I think there's an award for most goals in regular season, if so, Matthews will get that award.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I definitely envision a scenario where if McDavid misses most of this time down the stretch and Matthews pots the 70 he seems almost assured of doing, that will be the deciding factor in who becomes the third finalist.

Undeserved fate, but that’s just the way it goes sometimes. I don’t think he and the Oilers will be too broken up about it if they nab the Cup in two months.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I personally think McDavid should, but hockey media loves narratives and Matthews scoring 70 seems like their latest wet dream to talk about, so I think he'll get it.

Hell, I could even see some of the Canadian media, particular the Toronto Sports Network, pushing for Matthews over Kucherov as the guy battling MacKinnon for the Hart.

Reactions: Regal

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I personally think McDavid should, but hockey media loves narratives and Matthews scoring 70 seems like their latest wet dream to talk about, so I think he'll get it.

Hell, I could even see some of the Canadian media, particular the Toronto Sports Network, pushing for Matthews over Kucherov as the guy battling MacKinnon for the Hart.
Yeah and some of the clowns that vote will actually vote Matthews first.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Which could be a big factor in MacKinnon winning. I could see a number of writers focusing on the goal differential, which is larger for both MacKinnon and Matthews (and McDavid, which could possibly have some putting Kucherov 4th).

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The difference in vote totals for 3rd and 4th will likely be really small. It's too bad - and it's just the nature of how it's done - that by nominating three people a fourth will feel snubbed when they really aren't.

That said, I'd bet it'll be Matthews. 70 goals is a number that really pops, he's ending the year on a heater, and he'll get some additional credit for his all-around game. It just feels McDavid has been squeezed out of the convo a bit as the year winds down and he's missed a couple games.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Toronto makes the playoffs without Matthews,
Edmonton doesn't make the playoffs without McDavid (and possibly with the division after the slow start).
If Matthews pots 70 and McDavid gets 100 assists it's a toss up. If only one hits their mark they get 3rd , if both miss then the edge goes to McDavid.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It will be easier for voters to pick their 5 players, but the ranking them 1-5 will be hard.

It will be hard to overlook Kuch, with being in on 50% of his teams goals, and a 53 point lead over his closest teammate. That’s probably most valuable to his team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Edmonton doesn't make the playoffs without McDavid
(and possibly with the division after the slow start).
If Matthews pots 70 and McDavid gets 100 assists it's a toss up. If only one hits their mark they get 3rd , if both miss then the edge goes to McDavid.

Leafs haven’t been as good as usual this year without Matthews on the ice and the Oilers have been much stronger than usual without McDavid on the ice. I’m not sure if their relative value is all that different this year.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Edmonton doesn't make the playoffs without McDavid (and possibly with the division after the slow start).
Not this year they don't, in years past I would agree with that statement.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which could be a big factor in MacKinnon winning. I could see a number of writers focusing on the goal differential, which is larger for both MacKinnon and Matthews (and McDavid, which could possibly have some putting Kucherov 4th).
Which is actually misleading because when you look at relative to their team, Kucherov's right up there with the rest of them.

Someone posted the stat in a different thread where even though Kucherov's only like a +5 at 5on5, the team without him on the ice is like -20 or so. So the difference between Tampa with Kucherov on the ice versus without him on the ice is pretty much on par with the difference between the other three with/without them.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Which is actually misleading because when you look at relative to their team, Kucherov's right up there with the rest of them.

Someone posted the stat in a different thread where even though Kucherov's only like a +5 at 5on5, the team without him on the ice is like -20 or so. So the difference between Tampa with Kucherov on the ice versus without him on the ice is pretty much on par with the difference between the other three with/without them.

I haven’t checked in awhile but I believe he’s still below the others, especially MacKinnon, but they’re all strong there

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here's how each of the top six scorers look in terms of driving their team's goal differential at 5v5:

PlayerGFGAx-GFx-GAR-ONR-OFFChange
MacKinnon
98​
61​
91​
99​
74.8%​
Matthews
81​
46​
114​
110​
69.9%​
McDavid
86​
55​
93​
85​
42.9%​
Kucherov
78​
72​
84​
110​
41.9%​
Panarin
69​
57​
93​
106​
38.0%​
Pastrnak
70​
45​
100​
85​
32.2%​

There's a lot that isn't taken into account here. It doesn't consider strength of linemates. It doesn't consider zone starts. And it doesn't take anything other than 5v5 situations into account. But, strictly in terms of which players appear to improve their team's goal differential to the greatest extent, it's close between MacKinnon and Matthews. There's little separating McDavid, Kucherov and (maybe surprisingly) Panarin.

I also looked at Crosby and Ovechkin. Both of them are having great seasons, especially for their age, but are driving their team's results (at 5v5) much less than the six players above.

Looking at the same data a different way:

PlayerGF%x-GF%Change
MacKinnon
61.6%​
47.9%​
+13.7%​
Matthews
63.8%​
50.9%​
+12.9%​
McDavid
61.0%​
52.2%​
+8.7%​
Kucherov
52.0%​
43.3%​
+8.7%​
Panarin
54.8%​
46.7%​
+8.0%​
Pastrnak
60.9%​
54.1%​
+6.8%​

The biggest surprise - how bad Colorado has been (again, at 5v5) when MacKinnon is off the ice.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
If Matthews hits 70 goals, I think he’s a Hart finalist, likely knocking out one of Kuch or McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad